Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Weihrauch, Why The Tiles ?

I don't like them either - I find that whole set up to be a PITA - not least because you have to go careful to not catch the piston seal on all of those little holes.

The screw in block is a much better design.

All of the above.

The tiles will pop out or move if you use the short end of a 2mm allen key as a leaver from the inside.
    You only need a small amount of tile to slide out, you can then garb it with a good pair of pipe grips.
    Pop one out of each end and then you can drift the opposite side out with a drift through the hole where the opposite tile was.

They are nasty though

Quote Originally Posted by Jonjon79 View Post
    I don't like them either - I find that whole set up to be a PITA - not least because you have to go careful to not catch the piston seal on all of those little holes.

The screw in block is a much better design.
    And this is coming from someone who works with tiles day in day out!! They must be bad!
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    And this is coming from someone who works with tiles day in day out!! They must be bad!
    Good point mate

All of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Was the thin walled compression tube also one of the reasons that the old 85 had a scope rail? I guess the thin comp tube could be an explanation for discontinuing the screw-in block considering it seemed better.
    Quote Originally Posted by FPoole View Post
    Yes, it was felt that the scope grooves would weaken the tube to the point of failure, when a mount squeezed on it.
    Obviously, with the HW95 using the same 26mm ID X 30mm OD tube as the old school HW85 the mounting of a scope had nothing to do with Weihrauch using the alloy scope rail.

I think the real reason the old school 85 had an alloy scope rail is much simpler --- milling the scope grooves into the thin wall tube would have broken through into the back block threads, weakening the joint.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Obviously, with the HW95 using the same 26mm ID X 30mm OD tube as the old school HW85 the mounting of a scope had nothing to do with Weihrauch using the alloy scope rail.

I think the real reason the old school 85 had an alloy scope rail is much simpler --- milling the scope grooves into the thin wall tube would have broken through into the back block threads, weakening the joint.

All the best Mick
    Personally, I think the sight rail was a holdover from BSF after HW bought them out.

The trigger block change was I believe (a) primarily because of machining difficulties - which raised costs from damaged parts, (b) desire to lower costs anyway, as the 85 was competing directly with the 80. The “tile” system removed the problem of poorly threaded cylinders (and the associated cost) and reduced the cost further from cheaper manufacture, allowing increased sales of the 85/95 at a lower price while leaving the 80 as the upmarket option (especially in unrestricted markets like the US).

I imagine ditching the raised rail (once they ran out of BSF parts, or the BSF machinery wore out) was again to reduce the cost of making a rail and a special piston, relieved to work with the rail.

Honestly, I understand the business rationale behind those sort of decisions.

Pity that when HW bought BSF, that they didn’t keep making the B55, just with a Rekord trigger, even if held on with “tiles”. That would have been awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Personally, I think the sight rail was a holdover from BSF after HW bought them out.

The trigger block change was I believe (a) primarily because of machining difficulties - which raised costs from damaged parts, (b) desire to lower costs anyway, as the 85 was competing directly with the 80. The “tile” system removed the problem of poorly threaded cylinders (and the associated cost) and reduced the cost further from cheaper manufacture, allowing increased sales of the 85/95 at a lower price while leaving the 80 as the upmarket option (especially in unrestricted markets like the US).

I imagine ditching the raised rail (once they ran out of BSF parts, or the BSF machinery wore out) was again to reduce the cost of making a rail and a special piston, relieved to work with the rail.

Honestly, I understand the business rationale behind those sort of decisions.

Pity that when HW bought BSF, that they didn’t keep making the B55, just with a Rekord trigger, even if held on with “tiles”. That would have been awesome.

a) I can't see machining difficulties coming into it as the current 35/77/80/97 all have the same amount of machining as the 85 block.

b) The tile system seems a strange direction for Weihrauch to take when you consider that they already had the machinery to produce a push in back block as used by AirArms --- they would have saved on cylinder machining with this system as well.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    a) I can't see machining difficulties coming into it as the current 35/77/80/97 all have the same amount of machining as the 85 block.

b) The tile system seems a strange direction for Weihrauch to take when you consider that they already had the machinery to produce a push in back block as used by AirArms --- they would have saved on cylinder machining with this system as well.

All the best Mick
    a) my understanding is that they found the thin cylinder harder to drill and tap reliably and so had to reject more poorly machined cylinders than desirable. But I am no engineer. I think the idea was they had more room for acceptable error on the thicker cylinders.

b) completely agreed.

V best, Mick. Geez.

Tiles

It would be easy to make a set with a drilled and tapped hole in them so they could be pulled out .

When did HW buy out BSF? I ask because I'm all but certain the 85, or R10 here, came out in 1985-6.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by crowbar View Post
    It would be easy to make a set with a drilled and tapped hole in them so they could be pulled out .
    That would be an improvement ! Tinbum HW tile machining service anyone ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by FPoole View Post
    When did HW buy out BSF? I ask because I'm all but certain the 85, or R10 here, came out in 1985-6.

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2017...-rifle-part-1/

After reading this thread with interest, has anyone actually asked Weihrauch as to why the design in relation to their air rifles ?
    Weihrauch probably reply would be ' why are the British so hell bent in taking their rifles apart. If our rifles are not good enough for you, feel free to try elsewhere.'

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    That would be an improvement ! Tinbum HW tile machining service anyone ?
    Anybody with half a brain, a bench vice, and a cordless drill could do that.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by don1971 View Post
    Anybody with half a brain, a bench vice, and a cordless drill could do that.
    Exactly... have you not met Nick ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.