Thread: Back in 1928 what was the weight of a typical 22 cal pellet?

Back in 1928 what was the weight of a typical 22 cal pellet?

I bought a almost prestine example of a Haenel 28 about a year ago. I doubt that it was shot much and I can probably see why, it was never sighted in. Shot way left and high, so I drifted the back sight in its dovetail to center impact. Now the height. I had the sight lowered all the way and using light Hobbys to try to fill the larger 22 bore, it shot way high. SuperDomes brought it down a little. Noticed if I used a heavy 18 grain pellet it shot low, can move sight up, but seems heavy for a pistol? Made me curious as to what the pellet weight was back in the day? Been fun shooting this with my contemporary Webleys. Not surprising that the Webleys are much easier to keep on target, just far better shooting pistols. No surprise the Haenel is just a kick given it’s Luger feel and look. Bit of a surprise that the, as new, Haenel is hitting 285 FPS with 22 Hobbys, not bad given its design.
    Last edited by 45flint; 07-08-2018 at 01:53 PM.

I’m guessing at least 15.5 grains. After experiments that pellet weight brought the aim down for these sights.

Odd how much of the literature and online stuff on vintage pellets is actually about packaging, not pellets!

I honestly don’t know. I guess I have asssumed that weights have stayed broadly similar for many decades.

Don’t assume that heavier always shoots lower at short - pistol - ranges (esp on springers). It all depends on the point in the firing stroke at which the projectile leaves the muzzle. I used to have a couple of revolvers that shot low with light bullets, and high with heavy ones, because they were further in the recoil stroke when the heavier bullet left the muzzle.

As for start pressures, barrel harmonics....