Thread: help me make sense of this?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Randy Bohannon is offline “Junes1 is a whining bellend”
    I think you can infer that your loading process does indeed produce consistent ammo, that rifle prefers the higher charge weight, prefers the shorter OAL ( if I have guessed your series progression right) and that loads 1 and 2 are worth experimenting further with.

I wouldn’t place too much faith in exact ES and SD figures as your sample sizes are too small but they do illustrate “high” or “low” reasonably well.

If I recall you are in search of a higher velocity node, I would like to see your work up results but it seems from what you have given the node could be about a grain higher than your 42.1 load.

are you seeing pressure signs?

What weight of bullet are you using?
    "An infinite number of monkeys banging away at type writers for an infinite period of time will eventually reproduce Hamlet" Thanks to discussion forums we now know this to be untrue.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    I think you can infer that your loading process does indeed produce consistent ammo, that rifle prefers the higher charge weight, prefers the shorter OAL ( if I have guessed your series progression right) and that loads 1 and 2 are worth experimenting further with.

I wouldn’t place too much faith in exact ES and SD figures as your sample sizes are too small but they do illustrate “high” or “low” reasonably well.

If I recall you are in search of a higher velocity node, I would like to see your work up results but it seems from what you have given the node could be about a grain higher than your 42.1 load.

are you seeing pressure signs?

What weight of bullet are you using?
    No pressure signs at 42.1 which is the max load according to Vihtavouri.

Using Lapua 139 scenar 6.5mm bullet

Were they the same load as the velocity was dropping? Could be the barrel warming up.

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Have you considered a ladder test?
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Have you considered binning the chronograph?

Don't sweat the figures, just shoot (ladder test groups like Chris suggests) and tweek loads from there to get a group you're happy with, then shoot over the chronograph and see what it says.
    Last edited by sarge4318; 13-08-2018 at 02:37 PM.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

Randy Bohannon is offline “Junes1 is a whining bellend”
    A ladder test is useful when one can’t be bothered to work up the conventional way, I think ‘medic already has and therefore it would be pointless; especially as trusting one round to show over pressure is not a very good idea.

the node seems a grain apart from his data, he absolutely needs a chronograph if he is going to explore.
    "An infinite number of monkeys banging away at type writers for an infinite period of time will eventually reproduce Hamlet" Thanks to discussion forums we now know this to be untrue.

A ladder test is useful when one can’t be bothered to work up the conventional way, I think ‘medic already has and therefore it would be pointless; especially as trusting one round to show over pressure is not a very good idea.

the node seems a grain apart from his data, he absolutely needs a chronograph if he is going to explore.
    Yes, I think I have passed the stage of ladder testing as the original loads were a result of an OCW test. Though admittedly to a maximum as stated by Viht. Which may be a little conservative in reality.

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...

Never used one when I shot FTR but trusted the results and the rifle. My ES was 6FPS (finally measured by 2 different magnetospeed chronos) and yes, if you attach anything to or touch a free floating barrel with anything, it will affect the harmonics. How do we thing barrel tuners work?

With high performance rifles anything you can do that reduces the time between changes is a bonus. Dont sweat the stats, they will as likley be different between days and groups. Just get out there real time and see how they perform on paper, thinking about the marksmanship principles and consistancy. And work from there.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know