Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What constitutes a world class course ?

What constitutes a world class course ?

I see in quite a few quotes a world class course set out etc etc.
    Does this mean a course for people from all over the world ?
    Does it mean it was set by a world champion ?
    Does it mean the world championship was held there making it world class.
    If not any of the above how do people think or justify their quotes. :roll eyes:
    I have been setting courses for HFT and Ft for over 20 years no one has cleared a course I have set in either. I would not put a world class course as I am neither a world champ or held a world championship at the clubs I have attended over the years.
    I have shot all over the country and shot on some cracking courses some better than others due to the variation in topography. Some have been boring due to all the same flat ground similar distances etc.
    So over to you what do you think makes a world class course.

I would say one were the course setter has made you think twice about every shot and they have laid it out in such a way that you can't use your experience from the peg before to range the current one.

Not a hard course because they just get frustrating and boring after 5 or 10 shots, but certainly a mentally challenging one...

Never go off half cocked....

All lies matter

Quote Originally Posted by Baxterbasics View Post
    Lots of people fall short of that one then. i.e. Bolt fastest Man on earth or is he ( maybe an undiscovered world class runner out there that does not know it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Anybody View Post
    I would say one were the course setter has made you think twice about every shot and they have laid it out in such a way that you can't use your experience from the peg before to range the current one.

Not a hard course because they just get frustrating and boring after 5 or 10 shots, but certainly a mentally challenging one...
    So a course, that may have a few hidden range traps, we are talking HFT here as makes no odds to the knob twiddlers of FT.
    This I find can be done, by placing the target behind a log or rock etc, to give the appearance that it sits on the log or rock, but is in fact way further back.

Quote Originally Posted by thumbhole View Post
    So a course, that may have a few hidden range traps, we are talking HFT here as makes no odds to the knob twiddlers of FT.
    This I find can be done, by placing the target behind a log or rock etc, to give the appearance that it sits on the log or rock, but is in fact way further back.
    Yeah thats the sort of thing I do enjoy being tricked by or using an over or undersized target to make it appear closer or further away.

Those are the ones I love to hate when Im shooting HFT
    Although it makes little difference if Im shooting open sights as my odds go down to 50/50... I'll either miss the plate or I won't

My take on it Marc is that the course would be up to the standard of the previous World Championship courses and competitors. Everything set to true HFT regulations without gimmicks. Every course is clearable if set this way without stupid targets thrown in and this is where the regulations are important. The wind is the course setters best friend.

In practical terms it probably means very little other than that some of the targets require a bit more thought than may appear obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by thumbhole View Post
    Range traps, are a shooters excuse for not having all their wits about them

An FT course setter will play various tricks such as making it more likely you'll be a whole turn out with your top turret. I sometimes change the weight of reset string from lane to lane so whatever the string has told you on the previous lane about the wind you have to rethink it. If you haven't got ideal terrain you have to make the best of what you've got.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Quote Originally Posted by milek View Post
    My take on it Marc is that the course would be up to the standard of the previous World Championship courses and competitors. Everything set to true HFT regulations without gimmicks. Every course is clearable if set this way without stupid targets thrown in and this is where the regulations are important. The wind is the course setters best friend.
    Cannot always order the wind to add an element of difficulty, but plenty provided by the competitors. ld grin:
    So basically a course set out to the rules is a world class course Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    An FT course setter will play various tricks such as making it more likely you'll be a whole turn out with your top turret. I sometimes change the weight of reset string from lane to lane so whatever the string has told you on the previous lane about the wind you have to rethink it. If you haven't got ideal terrain you have to make the best of what you've got.
    We have done that Rich even using electric fencing wire for the reset cords very hard to read the wind from them.

Quote Originally Posted by nick-nic View Post
    Range traps, are a shooters excuse for not having all their wits about them
    Shooters have loads of excuses as to why they missed. A twig a blade of grass a leaf etc in the way. You missed cause you did not find the best solution to overcome the obstructions. Whatever the difficulty of the course every one taking part has the same opportunity some are more prepared, relaxed, at one with their equipment and abilities hence they do well.

If (when) I miss it will always be for one of 2 honest reasons..
    I didn’t range it correctly, or
    I didn’t account properly for the wind

Those (poor souls) who have shot with me know if I miss it was my own fault and that I don’t need or use excuses for my crap shoooting.

i don’t believe in excuses, but I won’t condemn those poor fragile egos who find out all too late that their shooting skills aren’t good enough and suddenly find they need the use of some excuses

There is only one reason for a miss. At the instant of releasing the trigger you had the barrel pointing in the wrong direction.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee