Thread: What constitutes a world class course ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

World class

For me, a great course is 1 that makes you think about each shot, and can have range traps between peg and target. However a course that doesn't take into account all shooter's physical abilities, i.e. whether right or left handed, or whether you shoot with your rifle as tight to the ground as possible or up the peg, or espescially a physical handicap ruins it for me. courses shouldn't be torture devices.

Quote Originally Posted by petethemap View Post
    For me, a great course is 1 that makes you think about each shot, and can have range traps between peg and target. However a course that doesn't take into account all shooter's physical abilities, i.e. whether right or left handed, or whether you shoot with your rifle as tight to the ground as possible or up the peg, or espescially a physical handicap ruins it for me. courses shouldn't be torture devices.
    I agree with Pete, up our way of late there has been a few courses set out to challenge the top shooters and ended up ruining it for the rest of us.
    There have been a couple of SARC disasters within the last 2 years too (but I can't name who was allowed to set those ones up)
    SARC is hard enough with the small head shots on the targets so it doesn't take much to make the shooter want to throw his rifle at the target... or the course setter

The numpties are the ones that pay the rent !!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Anybody View Post
    I agree with Pete, up our way of late there has been a few courses set out to challenge the top shooters and ended up ruining it for the rest of us.
    There have been a couple of SARC disasters within the last 2 years too (but I can't name who was allowed to set those ones up)
    SARC is hard enough with the small head shots on the targets so it doesn't take much to make the shooter want to throw his rifle at the target... or the course setter
    Being realistic there are only a few really good shooters in each of the clubs across the country ,the rest are there to make up the numbers.
    Without the also rans it would not be financially viable to put a shoot on ,so we need to cater for all abilities.
    For me a World class course would be one that is tough within the rules ,makes best use of the ground available and above all has something for everyone to enjoy.
    And one more thing ,Targets that fall over when hit, Marc Not the cheapest available , waisted money.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratinator View Post
    Being realistic there are only a few really good shooters in each of the clubs across the country ,the rest are there to make up the numbers.
    Without the also rans it would not be financially viable to put a shoot on ,so we need to cater for all abilities.
    For me a World class course would be one that is tough within the rules ,makes best use of the ground available and above all has something for everyone to enjoy.
    And one more thing ,Targets that fall over when hit, Marc Not the cheapest available , waisted money.
    I agree with most of that Simon did you miss a few then.

Some while back when I was comp sec for SWEFTA, one club in the region put out a course for a league FT shoot that was immensely unpopular as it stretched every rule to the maximum. SWEFTA allows a limited number of inch kills to 45 yards, by the way.

We added a guidance note to the rules after that, which went along the following lines:

It is a requirement that all shoots which are run to SWEFTA rules must be on courses that comply with the above rules in their entirety. In the case of the league, very few shooters can find time to take part in all shoots. League scores are based on the best six (out of nine) results for each shooter, to allow for this. This also implies an advantage to those who do take part in all the shoots as they can discard their three worst scores. That makes it important that all league courses should ideally be laid out to a standard or normal level of difficulty.

Course designers are asked to recognise that most shooters simply want to have an enjoyable day’s shooting, with a fair chance of achieving a score that is appropriate to their grade and position. The rules provide enough flexibility to allow a wide variation of course layout from venue to venue yet at the same time achieve a reasonably consistent level of challenge.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Smile Mfta shoot

Quote Originally Posted by thumbhole View Post
    I agree with most of that Simon did you miss a few then.
    The targets you put out for the mfta shoot a while back were that poor a scrap man would choose to miss them .
    Last edited by Ratinator; 12-08-2018 at 02:54 PM.

One where the best shots drop 1 or 2 points
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill