Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What constitutes a world class course ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Anybody View Post
    If (when) I miss it will always be for one of 2 honest reasons..
    I didn’t range it correctly, or
    I didn’t account properly for the wind

Those (poor souls) who have shot with me know if I miss it was my own fault and that I don’t need or use excuses for my crap shoooting.

i don’t believe in excuses, but I won’t condemn those poor fragile egos who find out all too late that their shooting skills aren’t good enough and suddenly find they need the use of some excuses
    I am the same as you if I miss its my fault and nobody else's Lot of people think they are better than they thought until given a challenge to prove it. Had a lad come with his mates. I can clear the course no problem, Bet him a million quid he could not, cut a long story short I will pick a target on the course see if you can hit it. 8yard reduced 15mm kill. gave him a HFT500 to do it he missed. Still owes me the dosh lol.

Quote Originally Posted by thumbhole View Post
    I am the same as you if I miss its my fault and nobody else's Lot of people think they are better than they thought until given a challenge to prove it. Had a lad come with his mates. I can clear the course no problem, Bet him a million quid he could not, cut a long story short I will pick a target on the course see if you can hit it. 8yard reduced 15mm kill. gave him a HFT500 to do it he missed. Still owes me the dosh lol.
    He should of pulled the target for being illegal and claimed 2 points and the bet

Shooters have loads of excuses as to why they missed. A twig a blade of grass a leaf etc in the way. You missed cause you did not find the best solution to overcome the obstructions. Whatever the difficulty of the course every one taking part has the same opportunity some are more prepared, relaxed, at one with their equipment and abilities hence they do well.
    Not entirely true Marc. Lanes that are not clear of obstruction are not the same for all shooters. One shooter can take out an offending twig/blade of grass making it a clearer shot for the next shooter. World class is knowing the setters have taken obstructions into account for every shooter. Too many times I have seen targets obstructed within the 8 yard mark. These things do not happen where the setters are on the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by pumpygun View Post
    He should of pulled the target for being illegal and claimed 2 points and the bet
    Its not illegal on my courses not affiliated to ukhft lol he took the challenge and lost lol.

Quote Originally Posted by milek View Post
    Not entirely true Marc. Lanes that are not clear of obstruction are not the same for all shooters. One shooter can take out an offending twig/blade of grass making it a clearer shot for the next shooter. World class is knowing the setters have taken obstructions into account for every shooter. Too many times I have seen targets obstructed within the 8 yard mark. These things do not happen where the setters are on the ball.
    LOL. Have shot courses in severe wind and rain that have made plants leaves etc fall over does not mean the setters were not world class just means the environment changed. To anal some people. To worry about blades of grass, encountered it to many times in FT over the years and the HFT not much different go out and shoot, treat it as what it is shooting and only when you are shooting in the world champs be it FT or HFT can you have the hang ups and complain if you was robbed of the world title.
    I still don't think you can call any course a world class course just for putting one out to the present rules, as for the reasons in my first post.

LOL. Have shot courses in severe wind and rain that have made plants leaves etc fall over does not mean the setters were not world class just means the environment changed. To anal some people. To worry about blades of grass, encountered it to many times in FT over the years and the HFT not much different go out and shoot, treat it as what it is shooting and only when you are shooting in the world champs be it FT or HFT can you have the hang ups and complain if you was robbed of the world title.
    I still don't think you can call any course a world class course just for putting one out to the present rules, as for the reasons in my first post.
    You need to go out on the circuit Marc and see the difference between a course in regulation and one that isn't. No point in competing at any level if lazy course setting is going to affect your score. Where did you see the term "world class"?

Ive seen them Mick both HFT and FT. Still I refer to my first post and reasons, If its a course that held the world championship it can in my eyes be a world class course. Everything else is setters providing a course it may be good but not a world class course. example. The Welsh boys provided a truly world class course, Venue and experience at the FT champs. A World Class experience that we as a country can be proud of to the rest of the world. Same as the HFT one at Kelmarsh. Everything else is trying to ascend to those great heights therefore not world class.

If the best in the world come along and find a testing course that is set within the recognised regulations then location hasn't anything to do with it. A blind man can set a course that no one can clear if they do not stick to the regulations.

World class

For me, a great course is 1 that makes you think about each shot, and can have range traps between peg and target. However a course that doesn't take into account all shooter's physical abilities, i.e. whether right or left handed, or whether you shoot with your rifle as tight to the ground as possible or up the peg, or espescially a physical handicap ruins it for me. courses shouldn't be torture devices.

Quote Originally Posted by petethemap View Post
    For me, a great course is 1 that makes you think about each shot, and can have range traps between peg and target. However a course that doesn't take into account all shooter's physical abilities, i.e. whether right or left handed, or whether you shoot with your rifle as tight to the ground as possible or up the peg, or espescially a physical handicap ruins it for me. courses shouldn't be torture devices.
    I agree with Pete, up our way of late there has been a few courses set out to challenge the top shooters and ended up ruining it for the rest of us.
    There have been a couple of SARC disasters within the last 2 years too (but I can't name who was allowed to set those ones up)
    SARC is hard enough with the small head shots on the targets so it doesn't take much to make the shooter want to throw his rifle at the target... or the course setter

The numpties are the ones that pay the rent !!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Anybody View Post
    I agree with Pete, up our way of late there has been a few courses set out to challenge the top shooters and ended up ruining it for the rest of us.
    There have been a couple of SARC disasters within the last 2 years too (but I can't name who was allowed to set those ones up)
    SARC is hard enough with the small head shots on the targets so it doesn't take much to make the shooter want to throw his rifle at the target... or the course setter
    Being realistic there are only a few really good shooters in each of the clubs across the country ,the rest are there to make up the numbers.
    Without the also rans it would not be financially viable to put a shoot on ,so we need to cater for all abilities.
    For me a World class course would be one that is tough within the rules ,makes best use of the ground available and above all has something for everyone to enjoy.
    And one more thing ,Targets that fall over when hit, Marc Not the cheapest available , waisted money.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratinator View Post
    Being realistic there are only a few really good shooters in each of the clubs across the country ,the rest are there to make up the numbers.
    Without the also rans it would not be financially viable to put a shoot on ,so we need to cater for all abilities.
    For me a World class course would be one that is tough within the rules ,makes best use of the ground available and above all has something for everyone to enjoy.
    And one more thing ,Targets that fall over when hit, Marc Not the cheapest available , waisted money.
    I agree with most of that Simon did you miss a few then.

Some while back when I was comp sec for SWEFTA, one club in the region put out a course for a league FT shoot that was immensely unpopular as it stretched every rule to the maximum. SWEFTA allows a limited number of inch kills to 45 yards, by the way.

We added a guidance note to the rules after that, which went along the following lines:

It is a requirement that all shoots which are run to SWEFTA rules must be on courses that comply with the above rules in their entirety. In the case of the league, very few shooters can find time to take part in all shoots. League scores are based on the best six (out of nine) results for each shooter, to allow for this. This also implies an advantage to those who do take part in all the shoots as they can discard their three worst scores. That makes it important that all league courses should ideally be laid out to a standard or normal level of difficulty.

Course designers are asked to recognise that most shooters simply want to have an enjoyable day’s shooting, with a fair chance of achieving a score that is appropriate to their grade and position. The rules provide enough flexibility to allow a wide variation of course layout from venue to venue yet at the same time achieve a reasonably consistent level of challenge.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Smile Mfta shoot

I agree with most of that Simon did you miss a few then.
    The targets you put out for the mfta shoot a while back were that poor a scrap man would choose to miss them .
    Last edited by Ratinator; 12-08-2018 at 02:54 PM.

One where the best shots drop 1 or 2 points
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill