Thread: BSA underlever help

BSA underlever help

Hi all.
    I have a 1924 BSA light pattern. It has the wooden oval cover in the butt of the stock, but one screw is missing & the other is so badly gnarled I cant wind it in or out.
    Does anyone have a pair of original screws they'd want to sell me? Or alternatively know the size of these screws so I can get some more?
    Also, any ideas how to remove the damaged screw without any damage to the stock or oval?
    Thanks.
    Neil.

John Knibbs have them - here

tricky removing a badly damaged screw, heat from a soldering iron may help, you may have to drill out the remaining head or use a small easy-out.

Steve

hi Neil,,screw removal=i have had some decent results using the "hot rod"method.find a steel rod or simular slightly smaller in diameter than the screw head.heat one end of the rod red hot,hold it against the screw head until the wood around the screw just starts to smoke.then try undoing the screw.might take a few goes but usually works.be carefull not to overdo it and char the wood.if this fails you will have to drill it out as posted above,hope this helps,greasemonkey
    Last edited by greasemonkey; 09-08-2018 at 06:40 AM. Reason: sspelin
    more guns than you can shake a stick at!

Thankyou. I'll have a go at heating the screw up & then trying to get it out. Then order some new screws from knibbs if I cant find any old ones, maybe I can age the new ones before fitting them.

Heating with a red hot rod did the trick, thankyou for the advice. I've ordered a new pair of screws from Knibbs now.

glad it worked for you,cheers greasemoney

Hot Hod

Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    hi Neil,,screw removal=i have had some decent results using the "hot rod"method.find a steel rod or simular slightly smaller in diameter than the screw head.heat one end of the rod red hot,hold it against the screw head until the wood around the screw just starts to smoke.then try undoing the screw.might take a few goes but usually works.be carefull not to overdo it and char the wood.if this fails you will have to drill it out as posted above,hope this helps,greasemonkey
    love hearing about these Old Skool Tricks Of The Trade

Quote Originally Posted by Emsill View Post
    love hearing about these Old Skool Tricks Of The Trade
    i am nearly 63 so all my tricks are "old school"