Started collecting vintage pistols three years ago and fell in love with the Haenel 28. The real pistol look and feel and quality equal to a firearm of its days was captivating. Out of 5 collected I was lucky to get one that was almost as new. Then this month came the transitional 1946? Webley Senior, it was as new. Though the Senior is post war mine really has the characteristics of a prewar which would have been contemporary with the Haenel. I’m sure the Haenel’s success influenced Webley to slant its grip.

Cool that both of these are 22 cal. When collecting it’s easy to look at a less than great example and call it your shooter. The great examples remained boxed and never see the light of day. I find it most rewarding to shoot these treasures. That’s what they were made for. I tend to find that often reviewers write of their experiences with “shooters” that have been well used, possibly reworked over the years.

Been in the back yard shooting these two over the last several days. Great fun to see these two as one who would have bought them new. No surprise the Webley is a superior shooter, much better trigger and the spring action more controlled. But much to my surprise the Haenel is just a little weaker in power. 280 FPS vs 300 FPS. Both having their original springs it appears the Haenel held up better. I don’t see any write ups giving a Haenel 28 in 22 this power? The Webley spring probably at 70 years old should be replaced to give me the advertised 330+. Not worth it to me in the backyard.