Thread: As new Haenel 28 and Webley Senior - you got to shoot them

As new Haenel 28 and Webley Senior - you got to shoot them

Started collecting vintage pistols three years ago and fell in love with the Haenel 28. The real pistol look and feel and quality equal to a firearm of its days was captivating. Out of 5 collected I was lucky to get one that was almost as new. Then this month came the transitional 1946? Webley Senior, it was as new. Though the Senior is post war mine really has the characteristics of a prewar which would have been contemporary with the Haenel. I’m sure the Haenel’s success influenced Webley to slant its grip.

Cool that both of these are 22 cal. When collecting it’s easy to look at a less than great example and call it your shooter. The great examples remained boxed and never see the light of day. I find it most rewarding to shoot these treasures. That’s what they were made for. I tend to find that often reviewers write of their experiences with “shooters” that have been well used, possibly reworked over the years.

Been in the back yard shooting these two over the last several days. Great fun to see these two as one who would have bought them new. No surprise the Webley is a superior shooter, much better trigger and the spring action more controlled. But much to my surprise the Haenel is just a little weaker in power. 280 FPS vs 300 FPS. Both having their original springs it appears the Haenel held up better. I don’t see any write ups giving a Haenel 28 in 22 this power? The Webley spring probably at 70 years old should be replaced to give me the advertised 330+. Not worth it to me in the backyard.

The Haenal 28 is my all time favourite pistol followed by the Walther LP53, I have both as pride of place in my collection alongside a BSF S20 Match and shoot all on a regular basis , To me the joy of collecting guns is to be able to use them for their intended purpose, I deliberately look for .177 examples where possible to allow me to use them in our club classic comps, The example you have of the 28 there is superb
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Quote Originally Posted by nige346 View Post
    The Haenal 28 is my all time favourite pistol followed by the Walther LP53, I have both as pride of place in my collection alongside a BSF S20 Match and shoot all on a regular basis , To me the joy of collecting guns is to be able to use them for their intended purpose, I deliberately look for .177 examples where possible to allow me to use them in our club classic comps, The example you have of the 28 there is superb
    A Walther LP53 was the first Pistol I bought. Superb shooter but then got into the blued classics.

What would a nice Haenel 28 cost me ?
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by vbull View Post
    What would a nice Haenel 28 cost me ?
    Hi,

As a guide I paid £300 for this nice, boxed example a few years ago. Very well made pistols, but not as accurate or easy to use as the Webley equivalents.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi,

As a guide I paid £300 for this nice, boxed example a few years ago. Very well made pistols, but not as accurate or easy to use as the Webley equivalents.

Brian
    I paid $300 a few years ago and mine was boxed as well. Brian have you ever Chrony yours? Curious as to power of as new examples. If I remember yours is .177?

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I paid $300 a few years ago and mine was boxed as well. Brian have you ever Chrony yours? Curious as to power of as new examples. If I remember yours is .177?
    Hi,

I have't put it through the Chronograph, but will try to remember to take it along to the range and do so in the near future.

Brian

Always wantend one, finally found it last year: a Boxed 28 at the Second Kempton fair (Tim Dyson). Good condition, lots of original bluing left, not mint. Incl paperwork, fabulous set. Recognised iT from a YouTube clip from an English chap showing/schooting his vintage collection in his backyard (still available). Paid steep: £375.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Always wantend one, finally found it last year: a Boxed 28 at the Second Kempton fair (Tim Dyson). Good condition, lots of original bluing left, not mint. Incl paperwork, fabulous set. Recognised iT from a YouTube clip from an English chap showing/schooting his vintage collection in his backyard (still available). Paid steep: £375.
    22 or .177? Ever Chrony it? pics?

You have seen it on facebook (everyone welcome to joint he group), its .177!
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8077186&type=3

And here is the youtube clip, great accents:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REtUX7cV8dc&t=57s
    Output is kinda lousy, compared to my Seniors/Premiers.However on par with most of the MK1’s

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    You have seen it on facebook (everyone welcome to joint he group), its .177!
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8077186&type=3

And here is the youtube clip, great accents:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REtUX7cV8dc&t=57s
    Output is kinda lousy, compared to my Seniors/Premiers.However on par with most of the MK1’s
    Have seen that video lots of times may, you my have the most famous 28 in the world?

mine also came from Kempton, quite a cheap example as had a faulty cocking arm, Turned out to be the spring and after getting the measurements and some suitable spring wire made a new one, shoots very well, not huge power and a real bugger to cock, feels great in the hand.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    A Walther LP53 was the first Pistol I bought. Superb shooter but then got into the blued classics.
    I have a later straight back that shoots great and an earlier brown grip example in the more unusual smooth finish with adjustable trigger, the adjustable trigger isn't as nice as the non adjustable of the later model but much prefer the look of the finish of the early model, both are very accurate when you get the hold right.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,