Thread: Why did I buy H&N's mixed FTT pellet pack?

Why did I buy H&N's mixed FTT pellet pack?

Hi,

I am just about to go on a gun testing bender in an indoor BR 25m range. I've bought lots of sample packs of all the popular pellets (about 15 types). On top of these pellets, I have bought a 6 pack of H&N Field Target Pellets, Field Target Trophy 4.5, 4.51, 4.52 8.64gn and Barracuda Match 4.5, 4.51, 4.52 10.65gn.

Out of curiosity I've just measured and weighed some from each tube, I've got sizes from 4.46-4.55 8-8.8gn and the Barracuda's 10.4-10.8gn.

Basically, what's in the tube is nothing like what what's meant to be there. Am I missing something in buying this mixed sample pack? it seems to be truly mixed in every way apart from type.

I guess I'm going to have to properly sort them into size and weight, but what do I do if I need to buy the best size when testing is finished? Do I buy the pack that is meant to be the one I need and just size every one to get the size that should be in the tin? (most will be wrong I guess)

Is this normal for FT shooters ?

Thanks.

paul4be is offline Everything has an end, only the sausage has two
    I bought their sample pack and found a very definite difference between each of the pellet sizes in terms of the way they grouped. I just used them straight out of the pack?
    Good deals with: ali d (twice), mattinlondon, mikemorton, jonboy, the wizard, Moza, markH, fok, gunslinger, Fisherman1, bigwull, mikewareing, TwoTitans,hairydog, airguns, dcl dave, Stuart B, mattie, Locksley, MARK, albrown, kjud, spud, gedfinn2, wasteoid, bullcelt, bunnysniper, wasteoid, pokeandhope, honda+more

Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    Is this normal for FT shooters ?
    No. Sample packs are utterly useless.

Find a good batch of JSBs that shoot well in your barrel, then go back and buy a lot of them.

https://airgunaccuracy.wordpress.com...ers-explained/

Yes it is normal to have to test batch after batch of various pellets to find the one make/ batch / die that your barrel likes. It is also not that unusual, having found a suitable pellets to have to size them in order to either get totally consistent velocity, or to lose the occasional flyer.

I have, in the past bought 10 tins of JSB's, each from a different die, and shot test groups 20 to 50 yards outdoors with each and every one until finally settling on the best. I know other people who have been through 20 tins to find the right batch, it can be a very frustrating and very expensive process which will always leave you with 9 or more tins of pellets you don't want.

I very much object to paying so much money for pellets that are no good to me, but I don't know what the short cut it.

Last sample pack i purchased was H&N, the FTT greens in it grouped exceptionally well.
    Off I went i bought a couple of full tins.... which group like a shotgun.

Total waste of time and money, never again. I just work though a selection of popular brands now and have slowly built up my testing stock of the last couple of years.

rgc_swanseaARC is offline He's not the Stig,,,He's the Stig's Welsh cousin
    If it helps, im in Llanelli and have amassed a silly amount of different varieties, head sizes etc of pellets that you are more than welcome to try.
    I have a few very reliable tins of barracuda match 4.51 and a few boxes or prems die no7 that usually provide a good benchmark, as well as a tin of each size (4.50-4.53) Exacts that I use for testing.

Regards,
    Rhys
    Theoben TTR1 .177, Steven B Blue/Grey Laminate Stock, Nutshot Mod, Hawke Sidewinder 10x42 Tac IR
    Daystate Pulsar. 177, Donny FL Sumo Mod, Pard NV008LRF

Quote Originally Posted by rgc_swanseaARC View Post
    If it helps, im in Llanelli and have amassed a silly amount of different varieties, head sizes etc of pellets that you are more than welcome to try.
    I have a few very reliable tins of barracuda match 4.51 and a few boxes or prems die no7 that usually provide a good benchmark, as well as a tin of each size (4.50-4.53) Exacts that I use for testing.

Regards,
    Rhys
    Thank you for that offer Rhys,

I may well take you up on that offer, I only live in Cwmbran and travel to Tondu shooting club most weeks. Well be testing tomorrow at tondu with the 20 odd types I've been buying over the time. We'll see how it goes and get back to you