Thread: Why is the sales section on here so disappointing at present?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    The economic climate must be having an impact.
    I for one have seen my real income spiralling and costs going the other way, meaning in real terms I just have less to spend on luxuries.

Social media is also playing its part. No longer are the forums "the only place" to sell.

I buy and sell on here and do post rifles and have had no issues ever, buying or selling. Some folks fear of posting by pf48 does seem a little irrational to me though I guess some may have had bad experiences. Folk offering collection only face to face deals must recognise they are limiting their market on what is a national forum.

Another aspect for me is folk advertising rifles as a full kit. I'm generally just wanting the rifle as I've acquired enough accessories over the years to serve me.

Years ago the expected value of a secondhand item used to be about 50% of the new price. At some point I must have blinked and the expected value of secondhand goods jumped to 2/3 of the new price.

Things are just how they are. I'm still happy using the forum to buy and sell but I do pick my deals and do use other sales and buying options.
    2/3rds of new price is totally correct, and be grateful it's only 2/3rds!
    In my professional world of scale 16mm live steam model railways, the locos are now 95% of new price !!!!!
    How the hell that works I will never know, but 95% is what it is !!

In the world of 00 railways, because of the way new prices have shot up in recent years, you can make profit on the newer boxed type packed SH models !!! If you bought a new model 3-4 years ago and the box is the new type (they keep changing), you'd have paid about £80. Now that same model in the same type box sells new for about £120-130!! So profit on new prices 3-4 years ago is able to be made if sold now!
    Last edited by MrChipShoulder; 10-08-2018 at 07:35 AM.