Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is the sales section on here so disappointing at present?

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Have to agree with both Rapidnick and Sunbeam. The BBS used to be a great place to sell and if something was priced right or you were prepared to be flexible items would sell relatively quickly.

Sadly this is not the case anymore. It seems sometimes unless items are given away they end up unsold. I used to almost exclusively advertise on the BBS but that's not been the case of late, quite a lot of items have sold elsewhere for more than I had them for on the BBS.

I do watch the sales section quite a lot and I don't know if it's my imagination or not but there does seem to be more tyre kickers of late, this combined with the posting of "bad deal" threads on a seemingly more frequent basis may deter some members from posting in sales all together.

The BBS still remains a great forum with some top draw members but with regard to the sales section I don't know what can be done to reinvigorate it and return it to what it once was.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

I wonder if it's just as simple as less members using the forum ?
    It certainly seems to be the same core names that appear over & over.

The last rifle I tried to sell on here I used as a part-ex last week, expecting to be offered about half my price on here,
    In fact I was offered more than I would have cleared by the time I paid for post & RFD costs & obviously they still expect a profit when they sell it on

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I wonder if it's just as simple as less members using the forum ?
    It certainly seems to be the same core names that appear over & over.

The last rifle I tried to sell on here I used as a part-ex last week, expecting to be offered about half my price on here,
    In fact I was offered more than I would have cleared by the time I paid for post & RFD costs & obviously they still expect a profit when they sell it on
    Less Members is it, I think you nailed it there Mr Bear...

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    Those that have to pay for family hols and child care right now are probably not a customer for SH guns anyway.
    Don't agree with that assumption - my not-so-little ankle biters have really depleted the toy fund
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Less Members is it, I think you nailed it there Mr Bear...
    I think everyone spent all their money at the Kempton arms fair
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Don't agree with that assumption - my not-so-little ankle biters have really depleted the toy fund
    Mine too and they've left homejust a warning.

I seem to find a buyer for my stuff fast enough. I don't think I ask too much.

Old collector's are always tight and first to baulk at a price, because ten years ago they could get it for half that.
    New buyers are used to the retail shop price. Sadly, selling something pretty new is a heavy hit. 1/3rd if not 1/2 knocked off once left the car park with it.
    There are a lot of rifles, scopes, and toys to buy.

People are getting more educated and prepared to wait for the right one. Some kit can't be given away. Good kit holds its value well.

A very hot summer so everyone is out having fun. Shooting some of their kit. When winter comes they will be upgrading from what they have learnt.
    Holidays and kids then cash is in short supply.
    Trade fairs are getting better and many save for such events. Seeing items is important; few would buy blind today.

Sale section is fine, just in summer mode. Works for me.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by rovercoupe View Post
    I have seen the nice airsporter that has been up for ages and it looks really nice but no takers and a few months ago they would be up for a few hours before selling.
    I also saw that and commented on the sales thread, if I had the spare cash then I'd have snapped it up (and if it's still for sale when I have some spare cash then I still may buy it), unfortunately I have my old car (as well as my daily driver) I spend time and money on in the summer months (including tax and insurance etc) and the winter months are spent driving it and then working on my guns (and buying them when the cash is available).

One other thing I've noticed is the reluctance of sellers to post rifles, which has stopped me buying a couple of rifles this year.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post

One other thing I've noticed is the reluctance of sellers to post rifles, which has stopped me buying a couple of rifles this year.

Pete
    Ive noticed that!

Ive had several good deals done solely with e-mailed photos, bank transfer of funds and Parcel Force (whatever). It only takes a few moments to remove the stock and pack the action and wood work safely. To live near the coast and state 'collection only' severely limits the area of your market.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Isn't just a combination of various things .
    People are on holiday or just paid for one .
    Maybe seller expects top price & won't come down .
    Buyer expects to get item at lower price .
    As has been mentioned tyre kickers .

It's a different site to ten or more years ago .
    Less haggling ,deals done before money was exchanged .
    Members having more disposable income .

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    I wonder if it could it have anything to do with the pending airgun law review whenever that is.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Ive noticed that!

Ive had several good deals done solely with e-mailed photos, bank transfer of funds and Parcel Force (whatever). It only takes a few moments to remove the stock and pack the action and wood work safely. To live near the coast and state 'collection only' severely limits the area of your market.

ATB
    Ian
    Problem with that is the restricted compensation available...
    Pistols are OK the can still use RMSD and get £500 insurance, rifles on PF48 are limited to £100.
    I would post entirely at the buyers risk if requested, but its all potential hassle I suspect most would rather avoid!

The other issue is valuation threads...which often are responded to by those seeking to maximise the future potential of their own collections or so it seems to me.
    This means the bbs sports far fewer adverts at attractive prices.
    Let the lazy ones do their own research unless its something actually a bit rare or unusual!

I religiously used to read the sales section, now not so much as there are only the odd tit-bits nowadays.

That plus some of the constant slanging actually depresses me after a while and I give it a rest from time to time before it turns me off completely!
    Last edited by harvey_s; 09-08-2018 at 11:35 PM.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Ive noticed that!

ATB
    Ian
    I sold my rammer a few months ago and that was posted out to the buyer, I then had the funds for another rifle and a couple of suitable rifles, which may I add where at very attractive prices for what rifles they where but because they where "collection only" didn't get bought by me and the money got spent of other things instead, if the Airsporter S mentioned earlier had been available then, then it would have been bought.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Pete
    I'm one of those . But only with items that I'm reluctant to post such as rifles.

But, I usually offer to travel a certain distance either inland or up coast. I think it shows a bit of honesty and willing on my part plus the buyer gets to see the item and seller together. On the upside there is also an amount of "cameraderie" too, especially if the meet can be near a shop that sells bacon sarnies!

Ultimately, I just want the buyer to be happy and me not have sleepless nights.

If you are a genuine private seller like me and time is not a factor then if the item sells it sells, if not I either use it or put it back in the cupboard for later. If it's your sideline to supplement another income though, I can understand the frustration.

The economic climate must be having an impact.
    I for one have seen my real income spiralling and costs going the other way, meaning in real terms I just have less to spend on luxuries.

Social media is also playing its part. No longer are the forums "the only place" to sell.

I buy and sell on here and do post rifles and have had no issues ever, buying or selling. Some folks fear of posting by pf48 does seem a little irrational to me though I guess some may have had bad experiences. Folk offering collection only face to face deals must recognise they are limiting their market on what is a national forum.

Another aspect for me is folk advertising rifles as a full kit. I'm generally just wanting the rifle as I've acquired enough accessories over the years to serve me.

Years ago the expected value of a secondhand item used to be about 50% of the new price. At some point I must have blinked and the expected value of secondhand goods jumped to 2/3 of the new price.

Things are just how they are. I'm still happy using the forum to buy and sell but I do pick my deals and do use other sales and buying options.
    B.A.S.C. member