Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coal again

Coal again

Hi guys still feeling my way regarding reloading, I have a hornady style oal gauge and a hornady .223 modified case , however a king gent drilled and tapped a couple of my once fired rounds which I will be reloading this is the results
    Hornady !.840" to Ogive
    My case 1.458 to Ogive

is this correct as it seems a big difference to me, ps this is an average over about 6 measurements with both cases and same 55gr bullet head,
    does this mean if I am using fire formed brass I go with one measurement and new brass with another im confused thanks in advance

Confused!!! Surely your reloaded case & bullet should be set to similar coal.?
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

A drilled and tapped fire formed case should give very similar overall length. The discrepancy between the cartridges is huge.

I could understand a couple of thou difference but not .4 of an inch??
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Thats what I was thinking Guys its a bit much, I will measure both the Hornaday and once fired later just the cases to see if they are the same or similar, just checked they are much the same slight difference at the neck but thats it , just wondering if this so called Hornady is a genuine or a fired case drilled and tapped as the mate cant remember where he got it lol but surly that wouldnt matter if the cases where the same size etc the readings should be close driving me nuts will have another go later at measuring COAL and see how that goes lol
    Last edited by blueheckle; 10-08-2018 at 07:12 AM.

I suspect neck tension and actual case size. Hornady and Stoney Point before them, that their modified cases should never be resized. The case body and shoulder of a modified case is sized to SAAMI spec and the neck, a smidgeon greater, so to provide a friction fit that will allow for removal from the chamber and an accurate measurement gained. Your fired case, despite filling your chamber, is “too slack and out of spec” for the job.

The cost of a “factory” modified case is not just the drilling and tapping...

I was told a fire formed case would give me a more accurate measurement than a Hornady mod and I have a fire formed case there with quite a bit of neck tension

I can understand how using a fired case would seem to be “better”, but I’m not sure I agree, and with a variation between the two of 0.382”, something is awry. Likewise, you say that you don’t even know if the “genuine” modified case is such...

I think you have too many variables in the equation at the minute in order to provide you with accurate or reliable information.

I think you have too many variables in the equation at the minute in order to provide you with accurate or reliable information.[/QUOTE]

yea I would agree with that doing my head in think I will stick with one case and one measurement see how it goes

well tried that and getting an average of 1.877" to the ogive using a comparitor what would be a good starting point for my first reloads thanks
    Last edited by blueheckle; 10-08-2018 at 12:29 PM.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    1.458" is shorter than the case. .223 case length should be approx 45mm. Your measurement comes out at less than 40mm. Something very wrong there.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    1.458" is shorter than the case. .223 case length should be approx 45mm. Your measurement comes out at less than 40mm. Something very wrong there.
    Well lets put it this way....if somehow that length is the result of FL resizing, case head separation wont be far behind I am not sure it is even possible to do that.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Quote Originally Posted by Parabuteo View Post
    Well lets put it this way....if somehow that length is the result of FL resizing, case head separation wont be far behind I am not sure it is even possible to do that.
    Havnt sized anything bud just once fired brass drilled and tapped , but as I said stopped mucking about with 5 different cases and stuck with one measured about 6 times and average of 1.877 " to Ogive using a comparitor and COAL is 2.240 "

Randy Bohannon is offline “Junes1 is a whining bellend”
    Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    This.

Your measurement is shorter than the case itself ought to be, would you mind posting a photograph of the two cases side by side on a level surface please?
    "An infinite number of monkeys banging away at type writers for an infinite period of time will eventually reproduce Hamlet" Thanks to discussion forums we now know this to be untrue.

measured my hornady .223 case and its 1.7505 if thats any help

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    measured my hornady .223 case and its 1.7505 if thats any help
    mine is 1.754