Thread: Coal again

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Coal again

Hi guys still feeling my way regarding reloading, I have a hornady style oal gauge and a hornady .223 modified case , however a king gent drilled and tapped a couple of my once fired rounds which I will be reloading this is the results
    Hornady !.840" to Ogive
    My case 1.458 to Ogive

is this correct as it seems a big difference to me, ps this is an average over about 6 measurements with both cases and same 55gr bullet head,
    does this mean if I am using fire formed brass I go with one measurement and new brass with another im confused thanks in advance

Confused!!! Surely your reloaded case & bullet should be set to similar coal.?
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

A drilled and tapped fire formed case should give very similar overall length. The discrepancy between the cartridges is huge.

I could understand a couple of thou difference but not .4 of an inch??
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Thats what I was thinking Guys its a bit much, I will measure both the Hornaday and once fired later just the cases to see if they are the same or similar, just checked they are much the same slight difference at the neck but thats it , just wondering if this so called Hornady is a genuine or a fired case drilled and tapped as the mate cant remember where he got it lol but surly that wouldnt matter if the cases where the same size etc the readings should be close driving me nuts will have another go later at measuring COAL and see how that goes lol
    Last edited by blueheckle; 10-08-2018 at 07:12 AM.

I suspect neck tension and actual case size. Hornady and Stoney Point before them, that their modified cases should never be resized. The case body and shoulder of a modified case is sized to SAAMI spec and the neck, a smidgeon greater, so to provide a friction fit that will allow for removal from the chamber and an accurate measurement gained. Your fired case, despite filling your chamber, is “too slack and out of spec” for the job.

The cost of a “factory” modified case is not just the drilling and tapping...