Thread: slip or case

slip or case

I'm buying my first PCP next week and have been looking at hard cases for transportation to the club, one of the guys at the club today told me to get a padded bag rather than a PNP hard case any thoughts guys, thanks in advance andy

Hi and a very warm welcome.

Personal preference, really. And it can come down to how user friendly the hard case may be as regards getting it in and out of the car. Hard cases might, ultimately, provide better protection, but are less wieldy.

I have never had to transport a rifle abroad, but especially if you were flying, the hard case would give more reassurance. And (total guess here) may be a requirement anyway.

A good (and great value for money) compromise is the BSA Polytwill "bag". I have one, it being recommended by a BBS member. Excellent. But even that, with it being of stiff, sturdy construction, is a little less wieldy than a traditional padded slip.

For field use, I'd definitely favour a padded, less rigid slip.

Hope this helps a little.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

padded bag for me. fits on the shoulder easily. mine were sheepskin lined, makes them more comfortable. also makes a decent kneeling cushion.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

Just to be awkward, we use both.
    Transport the gun in a hardcase in the car. Then swap them into gunbags when we get to the club/course.
    Since doing this we have never lost zero over the course of a car journey

A well padded slip doesn't beat up your car sliding all over the place. They are just more user friendly too.
    Hard cases do protect the rifle better. The heavy ones are bomb proof, but bash everything. Never have one loOse with the dog in the back of the truck it could break a dog's leg.

Rifles should be held securely in the padding, not compressed.

I use both, hard cases for long trips, and soft cases general use. The latter I prefer.

If a very expensive set up, and serious comp work then its a full cut out hard case and a soft case to carry around the ground.

Pros and cons to both. Do get the soft case that fits just right, and will take the large longer scopes.

BigEars Guest
    I've never used anything but a well padded slip and have had no problems. I suppose it depends how clumsy you are.

Hard cases are to bulky imo, a good gun slip everytime for me
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Pretty much been covered (no pun intended ) as above.

I’ve used hard cases, standard cheaper gun slips and more pricey padded tactical type bags.

Hard cases were handy on occasion for transporting in the car but usually they had to go on back seats as they can be too long for the hatchback or saloon luggage area to fit.

Also bare in mind the usual gun ‘slip’ type offering might not be big enough (wide enough) for a setup if you have a monster scope and/or target type stock etc.

I know on occasion I’ve struggled to get pcp rifles like Daystate Airwolf/ranger etc in a normal type gun slip mainly due to the stock design making it fit awkward.

Far handier are the tactical padded type bags as these usually are a lot wider/deeper and having the multiple pockets is also handy plus nice thick padding protection.

Also as mentioned there’s the half way house type bags (Polytwill) semi rigid etc these can work out good but also make sure the rifle/stock and scope combo will fit without bursting at the seems

I have both a hard case and a drag bag. Aim drag bag is excellent: shoulder straps, multiple zip pockets, heavily padded and very sturdy. Use it all the time and never had any issues with damaging kit or loss of zero. Aim all the way!
    Hawke Tac 30 4.5-14 * 42mm ~ Harris 9-13" Swivel non notched bipod ~ Hawke LRF 600 - Tracer 400 Tactical ~ Nitesite Viper ~ Daystate Airwolf .177 ~ Sportsmatch mounts ~ Hugget Shroud + Belita Moderator ~ Aim Drag Bag