Thread: Glass engraved or wire reticle on a springer?

barrel is online now Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do

Glass engraved or wire reticle on a springer?

As everyone knows the recoil from a spring powered air rifle is different from that of a powder burner. Because of this some manufacturers market scopes specifically targeted at shooters of springers. I always use such scopes on springers, obviously this is not a consideration with PCP rifles.

My question is has anyone actually had a scope with a wire reticle break on a springer?. I ask the question as some people seem to put any scope on their springers and never encounter problems.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

20 years ago I had a BSA Supersport that killed a Tasco Silver Antler 4x32 and a Bushmaster 3-9x40, cheap scopes on a light, full powered rifle. I expect even the cheapest scopes are more resilient these days.

Matt

It's never happened to me although, being a returning airgunner, most scopes that I have bought lately have been new Hawke models and they are advertised as being air rifle tolerant.

Back when I shot in my younger days, 70's and 80's, I only had two scopes and both these were Tasco 4x40 WA with a simple wire crosshair or may have been 30:30. They went up hill and down dale with me on various guns including lots of different air such as HW80, Airsporter etc then onto .22rf, .243 Win, and neither ever missed a beat.

Yes, have had wire break. Do not recall the details, but am not the only one. I do not profess to knowing whether glass or wire reticles are better however. I have also had glass (lenses, not reticles) break on some scopes. I guess if it recoils, and recoils badly, then the g-forces can potentially damage anything with mass, even the tiny amount that a wire reticle has.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Wire breakage is very possi le due to the very harsh vibration cycle of a spring or gas ram gun though this can vary greatly.
    An etched glass is no defence as the glass plate can also crack or...possibly more likely...... rotate.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

barrel is online now Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    One thing I have found is that it can be quite difficult to find out what type of reticle a particular scope has. You would think all manufactures would list this under "scope specification", but many don't.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

recoil damaged scope.

I've had a scope break its crosshairs. It was on a Hatsan 55. But to be fair, the gun had the worst, sharpest recoil of any rifle I've ever owned. Horrible thing.
    Theoben Fenman, Theoben Scirroco 2000, BSA Cadet Major, Webley Premier MK2, ASI Sniper!

Seen a dozen or so bust wire scopes. Only one bust with me. The most expensive was a friend's Peccar. Mine was a Kassnar.
    Pure luck of the scope build. How the weld or solder took. Springer or sharp recoil calibres will find the fault.

Modern scopes are etched, and then its all about how the lens is held in place.

Sticky turrel adjustments are the other thing to watch out for; I still tap my turrets when I make a click adjustment.
    Not all PA scopes will hold their zero as you go through their pa range.
    During the zero there is quite a lot to double check on scope wise. All got to stay on zero and be repeatable.