Thread: Norwich/Norfolk. Help!

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm

Norwich/Norfolk. Help!

Help! Has anyone in the vicinity of Norwich or Dereham got a spring compressor I could use Sunday or Monday evening?
    Today I went to replace the spring in my HW30, but wasn't prepared for the difference in length between the old and the new. So, now, I'm left with a gun with a nice new spring and Tinbum kit that I can't get back together.
    Last edited by harry mac; 12-08-2018 at 07:37 AM.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

harry mac,

I found with the original spring & Tinbum guide & top-hat fitted the rifle would not cock - I had to remove the top-hat to get it cocking.

In the end I fitted a Vortek PG2 kit, which has been superb - a very smooth 7 ft.lb in 0.177".

At first, I tried without a compressor, and boy, was I surprised at how difficult it was to compress the spring, and screw the crappy little bolt back in

While you are in there, check for signs of galling - my HW30S was terribly galled

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

I suggest you buy a sash clamp from Screwfix or somewhere similar and improvise.I have used a simple sash clamp for over a decade on every type of springer with complete success.

ATB.

Unframed Dave is online now World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Mine's available. I'll pm you my numbers.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Phone call in-bound Dave. Thanks.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Sorry to hijack this thread but I think it would be a great idea to put up a few pictures of home made spring compressors on here. Not everyone can visualise exactly what's needed.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

I also wanted to make a spring compressor and followed all of the links and watched all of the U-Tube videos and decided that a simple sash clamp would work just as well for me and it did not have to be expensive!

A cheap Silverline sash clamp was bought from Amazon to use as a spring compressor, and it works well on every type of spring air rifle I have stripped to date.

A piece of scrap soft wood (or ply) at each end prevents any risk of marking to the rifle barrel and end caps, and an old towel placed over the base rail of the clamp also prevents any marking of the barrels etc.

Not exactly a high tech solution, but it works very well and it did not cost a fortune or take any time to construct.

Free "next day" delivery and the fact that it can still be used for other jobs (as a sash clamp) made it a "no brainer" for me and has been one of the best buys I have made.

If (like me) you want to work on underlever air rifles, make sure you buy one that is long enough to work with the barrel still on the rifle. The adjustable end stop on the sash clamp makes it easy to shorten for work on break-barrel and shorter rifles too, and can even be adjusted to be short enough for use on spring powered air pistols such as a couple of Original Model 5's that needed some work recently.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Thanks for that, what length clamp did you get ?
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by vbull View Post
    Thanks for that, what length clamp did you get ?

Silverline 675132 Expert Sash Cramp 1200 mm

This is also available in two longer and two shorter sizes, so you can take a look at your current and future needs and buy the size that will give you the length you need.

At well under £20 new, I think it is a good buy.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.