Thread: first load in 223

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickee View Post
    Don't forget to anneal your case necks regularly.
    Even Lapua cases don't like more than four times reloading without annealing; leading to inconsistent neck tension and vertical stringing.
    funny enough i just had my first go at annealing before i loaded my next batch

cheers del

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    funny enough i just had my first go at annealing before i loaded my next batch

cheers del
    Did you do it by hand or use a machine?
    I annealed by hand for many years and only switched to machine just over a year ago.
    To destroy a people, you must first sever their roots. Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Annealing is ideal if you can get it right and consistantly, otherwise you end up with less consistant tensions than without. Lapua anneal with electric induction where it is easy to get the temps and loc 100%.

Del, as regards crimping mate.

Folk dont crimp because they believe that it is only used to prevent bullets coming loose and keeping things waterproof in military ammunition made for automatic weapons....and to a point they would be right, however.

As I said, many have found that when loading to mag lengths, crimping has given a more consistant release pressure leading to tighter groups. I certainly improves the groups past the optiomim for non crimped loads in all of my rifles.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Quote Originally Posted by Parabuteo View Post
    Annealing is ideal if you can get it right and consistantly, otherwise you end up with less consistant tensions than without. Lapua anneal with electric induction where it is easy to get the temps and loc 100%.

Del, as regards crimping mate.

Folk dont crimp because they believe that it is only used to prevent bullets coming loose and keeping things waterproof in military ammunition made for automatic weapons....and to a point they would be right, however.

As I said, many have found that when loading to mag lengths, crimping has given a more consistent release pressure leading to tighter groups. I certainly improves the groups past the optimum for non crimped loads in all of my rifles.

hi mate

i would agree with you as it seems to make sence with consistent release pressure

cheers del

I would only anneal with hard to get, Re-formed cases or those that are very expensive, 223 is very easy to get and not expensive compared to most other cases, when you start to get split necks bin the lot and buy new brass.

TB.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickee View Post
    Did you do it by hand or use a machine?
    I annealed by hand for many years and only switched to machine just over a year ago.
    done it by hand