Thread: Giffard pistols

Giffard pistols

Thought I'd share an interesting pair of Giffard's owned by a collector friend of mine...

http://www.horstheld.com/0-Giffard.html

Enjoy!

Giffard pistols

Something is very wrong with this set, the box is dated 1841 which precedes the manufacture of the pistols by at least three decades.😒

aimless Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcurmudgeon View Post
    Something is very wrong with this set, the box is dated 1841 which precedes the manufacture of the pistols by at least three decades.😒
    Right! Never seen: type of rear sight and never heard about any pistol in 8mm......

The upper one shows signs of temperature-discoloration. Some dudes tried to shoot the Giffards with gunpowder....

It says 1941, not 1841...

Quote Originally Posted by aimless View Post

The upper one shows signs of temperature-discoloration. Some dudes tried to shoot the Giffards with gunpowder....
    Jochen that case hardening coloration is just decorative:

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

aimless Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    It says 1941, not 1841...
    good eyes

Giffard pistols

Quote Originally Posted by njaw View Post
    Thought I'd share an interesting pair of Giffard's owned by a collector friend of mine...

http://www.horstheld.com/0-Giffard.html

Enjoy!
    I think the screws in front of the trigger guards are for fixing hand guards to protect the hands when this model was used for practicing duelling, similar to the guards on some swords such as scimitars, I expect the guards are missing, I have resealed many Giffard pistols and rifles, they are not as rare as is suggested, this model with the guards are very rare, I have worked on a couple of these, the target version of the rifles are also very rare and are beautiful guns.
    Cheers, Lawrie.

By the way the valve system is very simple it involves just one seal located in the reservoir, and is very effective, with modern seals they will last another hundred years, I wish modern air guns were as simple.
    In some old Giffard adverts they show the duelling versions being used with what looks like heavy leather floor length coats and mesh face masks for protection, from an opponent.
    Last edited by Lawrie Amatruda; 12-08-2018 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Additional information.

Giffard pistol with hand guard fitted;

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrie Amatruda View Post
    I think the screws in front of the trigger guards are for fixing hand guards to protect the hands when this model was used for practicing duelling, similar to the guards on some swords such as scimitars, I expect the guards are missing.
    This would seem to tie in with the larger calibre of the pistols. I believe the duelling pistols were used for practice with wax balls.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

I defer to Lawrie and his vast experience. The reference to protective clothing for duelling came as a surprise although I knew the German officer-class (I'm sure there's an appropriate multi-syllabic Teutonic word that I can't remember) wore helmets for fencing duels which only permitted damage to the cheeks so scarring was a badge of honour/status.

What a gorgeous pair of pistols, though! And what a shame about the price.

Thanks for posting them, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

Tim sends this pic:

See also this YouTube video (thanks to Citizen K):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBF-I9jJSAI

It turns out duelling with wax projectiles was a short-lived sport of which Giffard tried to jump on the bandwagon...
    Last edited by Garvin; 15-08-2018 at 10:47 AM.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

aimless Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by walnutfarmmick View Post
    I defer to Lawrie and his vast experience. The reference to protective clothing for duelling came as a surprise although I knew the German officer-class (I'm sure there's an appropriate multi-syllabic Teutonic word that I can't remember) wore helmets for fencing duels which only permitted damage to the cheeks so scarring was a badge of honour/status.
    Duelling was (and is) common in the "Studentenverbindung"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studentenverbindung

The ones named "Corps" knew duelling as "Satisfaktion" to eaquilise any attack disregarding honour. Mostly with saber (sabre) and protected with helmets, but wounds were possible!

With pistols it was more known between "noble-men" until end of 19th century (in Germany an France).

Probably the 8mm wax-model (I don´t nkow any pistol in 8mm) could be used for that...
    Last edited by aimless; 15-08-2018 at 03:59 PM. Reason: link

Don’t mess with the Studentenverbindung then.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Don’t mess with the Studentenverbindung then.
    Sounds a lot like freemasonry.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery