Thread: HW98 - alternative springs

HW98 - alternative springs

I have started yet another journey...another 98 in 0.177 flavour to fettle.

It has one of Mr Bums piston extensions, standard Piston & Seal along with it associated Spring - but as always, its had a good de bur polish and proper lubrication.

Mr Price has also sprinkled some magic on it trigger - very nice indeed Neil

It shots well, but not as well as my other 98, the only difference being the spring, of which I do not have it's manufacture / supply.

Can the wise amongst the assembled grey beards of the forum, please give me a starter for 10?

Many thanks in advance

Steve

Book out that spring, measure it and post the details and I bet someone on here will know what it is 😀
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Book out that spring, measure it and post the details and I bet someone on here will know what it is 😀
    Great idea......I will...next week end

Cheers

Steve

PS "Book" should have said "Hoik" if it weren't for damned autocorrect. I am going to guess it is a titan spring!
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

You need an ox spring
    Ox springs transform a gun

If you put an ox spring in an air rifle.the recoil is greater and so the power will be better ...the gun will transform from a smooth firing tool to a powerful jet engineđ fighter ask any teenager from the seventies who put one in there metiors or air sporters ...aparntly you can shoot through to page 104 in yellow pages the power and handling is increased so much

OX springs recomended by 70s teenagers

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket launcher View Post
    You need an ox spring
    Ox springs transform a gun

If you put an ox spring in an air rifle.the recoil is greater and so the power will be better ...the gun will transform from a smooth firing tool to a powerful jet engineđ fighter ask any teenager from the seventies who put one in there metiors or air sporters ...aparntly you can shoot through to page 104 in yellow pages the power and handling is increased so much

OX springs recomended by 70s teenagers
    Although more than a teenager in the '70's, my similarly sprung Mk2 Airsporter could take out foxes at 200yds...

Quote Originally Posted by Weasle View Post
    Although more than a teenager in the '70's, my similarly sprung Mk2 Airsporter could take out foxes at 200yds...
    My mates older brother bought his airsporter from a littlewoods catalog he used to get his pellets from the local newsagent and shoot down the lines with no permission.. the local policeman would say now you stay out of trouble..how times have changed....forgot to say he could light a match head at 100 yards using open sights which were better than the cloudy x4 scopes available at the time..he obviosly had an OX spring with another spring inside it ...my mate fired it he said he did not know were the pellet went but it took 3 people to pull the barrel down as it was so powerful..makes you wish they had invented a chrono..but yellow pages was just as accurate

All of you 70s teenagers reading this know the above is all true..and stop smiling as you remember..permission what was that

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    I can remember some mates super powerful 70s air rifles. Lucky to hit the yellow pages
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Weasle View Post
    I have started yet another journey...another 98 in 0.177 flavour to fettle.

It has one of Mr Bums piston extensions, standard Piston & Seal along with it associated Spring - but as always, its had a good de bur polish and proper lubrication.

Mr Price has also sprinkled some magic on it trigger - very nice indeed Neil

It shots well, but not as well as my other 98, the only difference being the spring, of which I do not have it's manufacture / supply.

Can the wise amongst the assembled grey beards of the forum, please give me a starter for 10?

Many thanks in advance

Steve
    The standard springs are excellent.

Alternatives :- One of my 95s (same internals as the 98) has a V-Mach spring and guide kit and shoots beautifully.

The springs that are incorporated into the SFS tunes also seem excellent for these, although I'm only talking through limited experience of two rifles which shot very nicely indeed. At a guess, Tony Wall specifies them to be a better fit on the standard guide and then makes a top hat up. Not sure if he'll sell them separately from a tune?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    The standard springs are excellent.

Alternatives :- One of my 95s (same internals as the 98) has a V-Mach spring and guide kit and shoots beautifully.

The springs that are incorporated into the SFS tunes also seem excellent for these, although I'm only talking through limited experience of two rifles which shot very nicely indeed. At a guess, Tony Wall specifies them to be a better fit on the standard guide and then makes a top hat up. Not sure if he'll sell them separately from a tune?
    Hi Tony

Many thanks

Steve