Thread: LGU - Question for owners...

Hellequin is online now I used to be indecisive.....

LGU - Question for owners...

Soon to be getting one in .177 calibre, my question for those who've owned one- are they particularly pellet fussy?

I plan on starting with AA Field or JSB Exact, but probably with 'test packs' of 50 each so I can try different head sizes of 4.51, 4.52 & 4.53...

I know all rifles are different but any pointers for common 'likes' pellet wise would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

I have the LGV in .22, and out of all the top brands it seems to favour super field.

Also, the trigger is interesting,look up the vid on YouTube that explains the workings. I found the best way was to wind in the front screw until you just lose the 2nd stage, then back it out to regain it.
    Last edited by don1971; 12-08-2018 at 05:59 PM.

Mine is blissfully happy with JSB Express, but shoots pretty well with several others. Enjoy a very accurate pleasurable rifle.

Thanks gents. I've ordered some AA's as the previous owner reckons it likes them, along with some 4.52 RWS Superfield to try...
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Of the 4 rifles I have, superfield are at least in the top 3. From memory:

Wildcat .177 , 1- accupel ft 2- superfield
    Hw98 .177 , 1- JSB exact ( just) 2- superfield
    LGV .22 , 1-superfield 2-AA diablo
    RM8 .22 can’t decide between SF, or AAD.

I’m convinced enough it’s with having a tin in the test pellets.

I was the original buyer of the gun you are buying, it’s a nice one with a nice beech fleck stock. I also shot it with AA and was deadly accurate! I made the trigger mod on it and set it up, the trigger after the mod was awesome!!

All things being equal, your getting a great rifle, have fun with her

IMHO WALTHER LGV/LGU bearLothar Walther barrels.

So far I fettled some of these types (2 LGV & 3 LGU) - all in sub 12 fpe /.177 and all love(d) JSB Exact Express 4,52 or Exact 4,52.
    None did with SF or FTT.

Still own my first LGV - a Comp Ultra and my first LGU Master.
    No intention to sell any of them.
    Much better than any HW and I shot a lot awa my TX200HC .177 but this one is in FAC so not really comparable.

Here some recent shots in not favourable gusty/windy conditions and that's why this time the LGV was better. Generally the LGU is little bit ahead accuracy-wise.

https://picload.org/view/dlopdair/20..._153j.jpg.html
    Mine is the one in the foreground (the other one was sold).
    https://picload.org/view/dlopdaci/lg..._vonl.jpg.html

https://picload.org/view/dlopdrpa/20...-cu_1.jpg.html
    https://picload.org/view/dlopdria/20...v_50_.jpg.html

I have 6 Walthers (2 X LGU & 4 X LGV) and to be honest what ever I feed them they seem to be just as accurate. I use Air Arms Diablo Fields in them 99% of the time or H&N FTT if I am out of AA.
    Shooting Air Rifles is like being a pubic hair on a toilet seat.
    Eventually someone comes a long and P's you off.
    They usually have a PCP

LGU pellets

I've not tried a lot of pellets, as ive only had my LGU for a couple of weeks. But I have found its deadly accurate with JSB Exact in 4.52. Pellet on Pellet fired from rested/supported at 27yrds. Similar results with RWS R10 rifle, but rifle not quite so nice to fire on R10s. I'm sticking to the JSBs.
    Theoben Fenman, Theoben Scirroco 2000, BSA Cadet Major, Webley Premier MK2, ASI Sniper!

Well that all sounds very positive!

Thanks very much for all the replies gents, sounds like I won't go too far wrong with any of the big brands already mentioned. I'm really looking forward to getting this rifle and getting out shooting with it.
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

My LGV liked most good branded pellets for hunting all of them at 35 yards dropped some where in the 1” brain 🧠 circle
    But for paper punching Air Arms Fields just pop the post I think jsbs were 2nd
    Ex Royal Navy Retired have fun while it lasts."I Do"
    B.S.A.R Member

Quick update on this... it definitely likes AA Field! I have some RWS Superfield too and, although both are very consistent at 11.3ft/lb. over the chrono, I took the rifle out for the first time yesterday evening with AA Field as previous owners have said this gun likes them.

It took a grand total of 6 shots to get zeroed (33yds) and then I did some group & drop testing. Some really consistent 5p sized groups at my chosen zero from seated & prone supported positions followed, which got a bit boring so I put some spinners out at 50 & 55 yards. Same shooting positions (with no breeze to speak of) and I was smacking them 4 out of 5 times... This is a seriously accurate springer!

I followed it up with a couple of hours sat waiting for bunnies and put 3 in the bag so, all in all a very successful introduction to Walther air rifles.

Thanks for all the replies!
    Wyrd bið ful aræd