Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another question related to selling, travelling !!

I own a domestic car for domestic use.
    I class hobbies as domestic.
    So I don't feel the need to justify the cost of domestic driving for domestic needs.
    If I did feel the need to justify every trip, I'd probably never drive.
    We own our cars to live, hobbies are an important part of living and worth travelling for.
    You may get there and it's a waste of time, sometimes it's 100% worth it, that's just life.

I drove down to Exeter the other week just to 'try' and find a gun in a shop (4 hours 240 miles).
    Didn't find one in the first shop, but did in the second, result
    Could of easily come back empty handed, but that's the way it goes, win some, lose some.

This weekend I’ll be driving to Brum and calling into every gun shop I can find to simply look for a gun fitted with a nice stock. I’ll only be buying the whole gun for the stock! Am I mad, or do I simply want a nice stock and happy to travel for it?

Just my opinion.
    Last edited by MrChipShoulder; 12-08-2018 at 11:46 PM.

I'm guessing the difference between your present driving exploits and mine is about 40 years!

I drove my Mini from Coventry to Elba and back when I was 21 which includes going over the Alps.

I wouldn't drive one to Bournemouth now.

Chester to Ford's training centre in Crick,in a 1979 mini clubman.

Six foot one of me has never driven a mini since.

Mine 1967 Mini -automatic!
    Point is I'm older and today's roads/drivers = The Wild West.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    You might be right in some cases, that they are put off from long journeys. My daily commute used to be 136 miles. I'm glad not to have that any more.

You can't dismiss costs other than fuel though. Moving things wear out.
    Yes things do wear out but not in short-order, it takes thousands of miles.

My car is taxed, MOT'd & insured whether it's sat in the garage or driving up a motorway, it gets a service every year regardless of the mileage, tyres directly wear with use but a £300 set of 4 should last best part of 20k miles, so 1.5p per mile.

I only average about 3500-4000 miles a year now, so a one off journey like that could be 10-15% of my annual travel, if you were commuting 136miles it would be about 1.4% of yours,
    and as my annual distance is roughly 1/9 of yours then taking every vehicle related cost in to account including tax, MOT & insurance etc I'm paying 9x per mile what you are

OTOH it does put postal costs in to perspective, so there's no need for anyone to whinge about paying £25 for post, or £50 rfd-rfd

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneckbob View Post
    Oh well now you put it like that I'll ask the mrs if she's okay with me spending £140 quid (that we don't have) on fuel and spending the weekend on the road leaving her without the car or me for that matter. Still she'll be okay as she's got the animals to walk and feed.

There's a really nice rifle that I would like for sale at the mo but as I'm in North Devon and it is up in Leeds with a genuine 20 hrs non stop and no traffic (which is just impossible) I'm affraid it is just would really like. Other people may have the money, time and freedom and good luck to them. I remember those days.......

Actually before we were married and lived in Cheltenham with me and her on decent money I did do a fair bit of driving for rifles; buying and selling. Laybys and Motorway services; great for arms dealing.
    Bideford - Leeds = 20 hours What are you driving - a milk float!!!

Similarly, £140 in fuel??? even at 35 mpg that's 835 miles...and I suspect the vast majority of sales will be lot closer than Glasgow!

Not exactly an realistic argument....

I have read through this thread and am surprised how often one person wants to impose their thoughts and practices on another. ... or so it seems.
    To me, the only response has to be:
    If the seller does not wish to post and you do not wish to travel; then forget it. There is no obligation for either party to either post or travel.

The reasons for not travelling are irrelevant. If a person does not wish to travel that is up to them; period. To berate them and seemingly make out they are somehow at fault is ludicrous.
    Let people make their own minds up and do not impose your values on them. A diverse society is a good one.
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    I have read through this thread and am surprised how often one person wants to impose their thoughts and practices on another. ... or so it seems.

If the seller does not wish to post and you do not wish to travel; then forget it. There is no obligation for either party to either post or travel.

The reasons for not travelling are irrelevant. If a person does not wish to travel that is up to them; period. To berate them and seemingly make out they are somehow at fault is ludicrous.
    Let people make their own minds up and do not impose your values on them. A diverse society is a good one.
    Cheers, Phil
    Correct Sir

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    I handed over a green military wooden crate plus £50 and received a .22lr rifle in a TESCO car park in Inverness .

It was an ex army metal detector in the crate and not some stinger missiles
    Imagine the scene, services, Leicester Forest East, you pull in to sell a Prosport, having made arrangements with the buyer, it is the winter of 2010, the Vitaras heater will barely keep the interior screen free of ice, we have already done Lynn to London, then London to Leicester, we resembled two frozen chickens.

We pull in to what seems to be every bloody traffic cop parked in the car park, at least a dozen cop cars. Matey boy takes the gun out of the slip and starts waving it around, in front of the coppers!!!

He then hands over the money....

Sainsburys Wrexham no cop cars but the buyer did get the Hatsan out of the slip and give it a good once over including looking through the sights in front of everybody.

Newark McDonalds was easier, he looked at the gun in the boot of the car, put it back in the slip and paid.

The furthest we went was Scots Corner, and that was for someone else too!

Easiest was when someone drove to my permission and tested an Ultra mmc.
    Last edited by secretagentmole; 13-08-2018 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    I handed over a green military wooden crate plus £50 and received a .22lr rifle in a TESCO car park in Inverness .

It was an ex army metal detector in the crate and not some stinger missiles
    Aye, and nobody batted an eyelid. I've also travelled over 100 odd miles to Briar to do deals.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5

Cheers, Phil
    Exactly
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    Aye, and nobody batted an eyelid. I've also travelled over 100 odd miles to Briar to do deals.
    I was a tad worried that someone would see us and call the polis

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    Imagine the scene, services, Leicester Forest East, you pull in to sell a Prosport, having made arrangements with the buyer, it is the winter of 2010, the Vitaras heater will barely keep the interior screen free of ice, we have already done Lynn to London, then London to Leicester, we resembled two frozen chickens.

We pull in to what seems to be every bloody traffic cop parked in the car park, at least a dozen cop cars. Matey boy takes the gun out of the slip and starts waving it around, in front of the coppers!!!

He then hands over the money....

Sainsburys Wrexham no cop cars but the buyer did get the Hatsan out of the slip and give it a good once over including looking through the sights in front of everybody.

Newark McDonalds was easier, he looked at the gun in the boot of the car, put it back in the slip and paid.

The furthest we went was Scots Corner, and that was for someone else too!

Easiest was when someone drove to my permission and tested an Ultra mmc.
    I just looked at the rifle in the box in the back of DeadIdick's car ,I handed over the money and while Andy filled in my FAC I, transferred it to my mates car .Then I gave him the metal detector.

All the way home I was thinking what if the police were tailing us . First time I had every bought a Firearm.

When I got home I had a good look at it and it was almost brand new . I never doubted him in any way . best deal I have ever done .

Andy even came to meet us at very short notice also. I think he was at Moy show when I called him to ask if I could come up earlier than planned.

Cheers, Phil
    The purpose of a post on the BBS is to discus & offer opinions which is what we're doing no one is imposing anything on anyone, simply offering differing opinions on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Don't be daft. A car isn't any cheaper to run for leisure use than business.

And do the sums for yourself - add up the cost of servicing and repairs and consumables such as tyres and so on, even if you want to see tax and insurance as fixed items. Then divide that over the mileage. I've just changed my car as the cost of servicing and repairs in the last two years came to £2,300 over 15,000 miles, which was about the same amount as I paid for diesel. That's over 30p a mile on its own.

How about you have your car on a PCP deal where you pay extra for mileage above the contract, typically 8p per mile plus the fuel. That's not 5 percent.

I should not have given this analogy; it's obviously too hard to follow.
    Ok, I’ll agree fuel costs + 5% was stretching it a bit, but so was the inflated 45ppm HMRC rates quoted.
    I suppose you have to judge each situation on its own merits. I would say though to rule out a bit a travelling altogether is limiting your options as both a buyer and a seller.