Thread: Bottle problem?

Bottle problem?

Hello I recently purchased a 7ltr 300bar dive bottle. I Just tried to fill my gun (first time with this bottle)the pin on the gauge shot up to 250bar but my guns gauge was filling at about 180bar I shut it off tried again same thing it just shoots up fast .any ideas what's wrong ?
    Bsa R10 se

some 300 bar bottles and gauges/ regulators are fast fillers, you need to, be very carefull and fill it very slowly , i.e undo the fill knob very very slowly and carefully, we have one in our club does the same . try another gauge/regulator. if you don't have one then borrow one? try that .

My old bottle that I used up until I brought this one didn't do it. Your right this dose have quick fill it's a hydrotech bottle if that help ? Thanks for the info much appreciated
    Bsa R10 se

Hydrotech put a restrictor in the cylinder end of their hose to stop too fast filling.
    This causes the gauge needle to shoot up but that's not what is getting into your gun.

Nothing wrong with their system but I don't like it.
    So I removed the restrictor and rely on the one in my Best Fittings adapter on the other end of the hose.
    This makes the gauge less alarming and filling easier.

Thanks for the info. It's a dreadful set up to be honest.I think I'll do what you did as I really don't like this .I couldn't get up to the optimum fill pressure as I was scared to Carry on filling
    Bsa R10 se

Quote Originally Posted by daystatedan View Post
    Thanks for the info. It's a dreadful set up to be honest.I think I'll do what you did as I really don't like this .I couldn't get up to the optimum fill pressure as I was scared to Carry on filling
    There's nothing to be scared of although it's a faf,

Open the cylinder, the gauge will instantly fly up to indicate the cylinder pressure, no problem as the restrictor slows the rifle fill rate,

about 20 bar before the fill pressure you want on the rifle gauge shut the cylinder valve, the remaining pressure in the pipe will equalise in the closed pressure circuit between the rifle & the now closed valve until both the rifle gauge & the cylinder gauge read the same.
    so once closed the cyl gauge will drop a bit while the rifle gauge will continue to rise a bit.
    If the rifle pressure reaches what you want just open the bleed & vent the excess easy-peasy.

once equalised you can see if it's a bit higher or a bit lower than you want & next fill you can adjust the pressure at which you close the cylinder valve to suit.

That's very clear Angrybear thanks.
    Still don't like it tho!

Quote Originally Posted by daystatedan View Post
    Exactly what I felt.
    Hydro tech need an Angrybear note with each bottle.
    They do a little note but not very clear.

Fill pessure

..and a good way of alerting you to the fact the rifle gauge is knackered. After the fill valve is shut the two gauges should read the same. I then realised the rifle one was reading low but actually hardly changing as the rifle was used. New gauge and all is ok!

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    That's very clear Angrybear thanks.
    Still don't like it tho!
    Pleasure,
    A healthy respect for what could go wrong is no bad thing

Thanks for the info guys I really appreciate it ,I'll fill her up again tonight to see if I can get the knack of it cheers.
    Bsa R10 se