Thread: Shrouds

Shrouds

Are shrouds worth the money. I’ve seen some nice looking ones and some not so nice. My lad bought a Huggett one at the week end and asked me to fit it. Naturally I said yes so looking down it I only saw fresh air which I pointed out to my boy who could only say Huggett’s just look nice.

Now I’m not a technical type of bloke in any way shape or form and have never taken the Huggett’s off that have come fitted to my rifles.

So chaps are shrouds worth it or are they just plain old bling.

Bling.. unless they are back vented and come with a integral silencer.
    Say what is true, although it may be bitter and displeasing to people.

Quote Originally Posted by Riggsmakaveli View Post
    Bling.. unless they are back vented and come with a integral silencer.
    Well that can be disputed

If the barrel ends short of the shroud with some form of support then there will be some degree of silencing because the initial expansion of the air will be, at least partially, contained within the shroud.

I have a Rapid MFR which is very quiet, it has nothing other than the shroud tube & some vents in the muzzle support.

My Huub shroud is very effective and worth every penny and its definitely not just cosmetic

rgc_swanseaARC is offline He's not the Stig,,,He's the Stig's Welsh cousin
    Look up air fective tuning.
    Its never going to be as quiet as a decent silencer on its own, and my nutshot kicks ass of my shroud and the std HW silencer, but for the money the air fective stuff isnt bad.

Regards,
    Rhys
    Theoben TTR1 .177, Steven B Blue/Grey Laminate Stock, Nutshot Mod, Hawke Sidewinder 10x42 Tac IR
    Daystate Pulsar. 177, Donny FL Sumo Mod, Pard NV008LRF

Shrouds with back venting and enough volume can be more quiet than silencers. Of mainstrean guns BSAs are about the only ones that have room to fit big enough shrouds.
    Viking Mk2 .177/.22 bullpup, BSA Scorpion SE .177, BSA Scorpion .25 100M gun, BSA Scorpion .224 100fpe 100M gun,
    Evanix Blizzard .257/.357 200M BR, Evanix Sniper X2 .45 at 270 fpe

I love em

I’ve made a couple for my own rifles out of carbon fibre with good success.
    I made one for a 9015 back vented with a twin cone stripper and a baffle in front of that, gun was as dead as a dodo and very quiet.
    My Pt has one with about 4” of silencer in front of the barrel and that is equally quiet.
    For me it’s part of the fun of owning a rifle , experimenting.

Wink Don't be fooled by the void!! (The one inside)

Quote Originally Posted by sandyman1963 View Post
    Are shrouds worth the money. I’ve seen some nice looking ones and some not so nice. My lad bought a Huggett one at the week end and asked me to fit it. Naturally I said yes so looking down it I only saw fresh air which I pointed out to my boy who could only say Huggett’s just look nice.

Now I’m not a technical type of bloke in any way shape or form and have never taken the Huggett’s off that have come fitted to my rifles.

So chaps are shrouds worth it or are they just plain old bling.
    I've had two Hugget shrouds on my huntsman, a full mod version and now the belita. Now although I agree they are very much bling, they are also extremely effective. Id even say my huntsman is one of the quietest guns I've shot. The belita shroud is also much more effective than the 1/2 inch screw on version which I had on my R10.
    The "fresh air" that you see inside the shroud is expansion space for the air which is what silences the muzzle noise and space that is "air space" is key to this. That's why generally larger moderators are quieter.
    So although they are I believe over priced bling they do actually work well, this isn't saying they are the best as there are many other much cheaper options out there. (I'd probably have have gone for one of these if I could get one which fitted the huntsman)
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Looks like most confuse a barrel shroud, its just that cosmetic.

Remember who done the first and brought the back venting to joe public in 93. Took others 17 years to figure around 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by hareng View Post

Remember who done the first and brought the back venting to joe public in 93. Took others 17 years to figure around 2010.
    Wish I still had that Rapid that you did all those years ago, pre MFR..
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Reflex silencers and working shrouds were around and well known many years before you claim to have invented them. A good example from 50 years before your "invention" was the de Lisle carbine. It worked too

OP mentions the "Hugget shroud" don't think anyone can confuse what that is unless your meaning something else, your post isn't very clear to me sorry.
    Are you speaking about the definition of a shroud or that people call silencing shrouds shrouds and they shouldn't?? Can you clarify?
    Thanks Rhys
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.