Thread: Webley Hawk improvements

Webley Hawk improvements

Have anyone ever made a functioning spring guide for a Mk2 Hawk?

I have a couple of hawks and will make a guide for on when I can get on my mates lathe.

Should be simple enough.

Bought a spare piston so might have a go at conversion to a parachute seal.

Also had a thought that it's the same spring as in the Webley longbow and that they have a guide

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Have anyone ever made a functioning spring guide for a Mk2 Hawk?
    Yes. :- http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....61#post6022561

image.jpg
    Last edited by T 20; 14-08-2018 at 07:42 PM.

Thanks! I remembered your Hawk-tuning Mick, just didn't know where to look..
    I was hoping to make a guide without having to modify the rear plug, which seems a bit difficult on the Mk2, as the centering-thingy for the spring has a much larger diameter than the one that centers the rear guide on the later Webleys.

Thanks! I remembered your Hawk-tuning Mick, just didn't know where to look..
    I was hoping to make a guide without having to modify the rear plug, which seems a bit difficult on the Mk2, as the centering-thingy for the spring has a much larger diameter than the one that centers the rear guide on the later Webleys.
    I had to machine a small jig from some 25mm ID pipe to hold the Hawk back block in the lathe, then I drilled and tapped the central arbour 5/16 UNF in order to screw the guide into.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I had to machine a small jig from some 25mm ID pipe to hold the Hawk back block in the lathe, then I drilled and tapped the central arbour 5/16 UNF in order to screw the guide into.
    Sounds doable, and does not mess too much with the possibility of returning the gun to original shape. I might follow that route, thanks!

I see you extended the transfer port through the breech seal, was that necessary to get the compression high enough? I'm thinking a brass sleeve that only sleeves the port might help?

I have a few Hawks & Vulcans I never would have guessed that you could get the power up to the legal limit on them!

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Dipple View Post
    I have a few Hawks & Vulcans I never would have guessed that you could get the power up to the legal limit on them!
    The Vulcan is no problem to get close to the UK limit, it is the Hawk that needs some work...

Ive owned. A mk2 for 40 years in the early years I had a floating tube of copper to act as a make do guide, not bad as I was only 14 when I did it. More recently had the factory pathetic factory guide machined down and fitted a delrin guide, sleeved the transfer port ( thanks mick), squeezed up the breech jaws, swopped to o ring piston seal. Shoots lovely now though still 8fpe. Would like to mod the piston but lost my lathe friend so it's staying as is for now.

I fitted a floating guide, along with a Meteor mainspring, in a Mk.3 Hawk many ears ago, which worked well, no machining necessary.

I later made a guide and 'dummy' piston rod for a Tracker.

P1010492.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    I fitted a floating guide, along with a Meteor mainspring, in a Mk.3 Hawk many ears ago, which worked well, no machining necessary.

I later made a guide and 'dummy' piston rod for a Tracker.

P1010492.jpg
    Been thinking about using a Meteor spring in the Hawk as well. Jim Maccaris Meteor spring is superb in my old meteors, and as the Hawk is a 25mm/1" piston like the meteor, it seems like a sensible choice.

How do you ensure that the floating guides do not end up all the way forward in the piston? Do they reset position with every cocking stroke?

How do you ensure that the floating guides do not end up all the way forward in the piston? Do they reset position with every cocking stroke?
    From memory, I think it used to end up somewhere in the middle. It would have been better to anchor it at the rear, but the important point is that it kept the compressed mainspring straight.

I had an extra Hawk piston in the box of webley parts, and comparing the two pistons I found that the original piston in the gun was not rounded the same way at the edge where the spring enters at the rear of the piston. The spare piston seem to be unaltered, but was radiused at the rear. Changing pistons made a huge improvement in the cocking stroke!