Thread: 1911's everywhere!?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Zamak-Mazak

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    I didn't say they would last forever, but they can and do last longer than the steel offerings which have not been cared f. or. By the way, how did you manage to change my grammar when you quoted me in your post ?
    Baz
    Hi Baz, sorry for misquoting what you stated, I was mearly trying to point out that Zamak/Mazak as a material was never intended to last indefinatly. It does degrade internally over time and as I'm sure you've seen, blows out on the surface. I've got to say that I've never seen an antique Mazak/Zamak air gun, perhaps you know of one. But I have restored countless vintage and classic cars, (and a few bikes). The one thing they all have in common, despite of how they may have been cared for or mistreated in their life, the Mazak/Zamak trim/badges/ mascots etc all eventually start to degrade due to the impurities in the mix. Ive seen "Lone Star" cap guns from the 60/70s that have started degrading so i assume that a maybee 90 year old replica 1911 BB would show signs of the same. As most of the replica are fairly modern i guess we'll have to wait about another 50 years to find out. John
    Theoben Fenman, Theoben Scirroco 2000, BSA Cadet Major, Webley Premier MK2, ASI Sniper!

Quote Originally Posted by Joncaddy View Post
    Hi Baz, sorry for misquoting what you stated, I was mearly trying to point out that Zamak/Mazak as a material was never intended to last indefinatly. It does degrade internally over time and as I'm sure you've seen, blows out on the surface. I've got to say that I've never seen an antique Mazak/Zamak air gun, perhaps you know of one. But I have restored countless vintage and classic cars, (and a few bikes). The one thing they all have in common, despite of how they may have been cared for or mistreated in their life, the Mazak/Zamak trim/badges/ mascots etc all eventually start to degrade due to the impurities in the mix. Ive seen "Lone Star" cap guns from the 60/70s that have started degrading so i assume that a maybee 90 year old replica 1911 BB would show signs of the same. As most of the replica are fairly modern i guess we'll have to wait about another 50 years to find out. John
    The early castings suffered from zinc pest, but this has been overcome by developing new alloys. Some early Schimel air pistols have had a problem with degradation, but I have not seen it in any of the ones I have worked on which are over 50 years old. Lawrie Amatruda who has worked on over 100 of these has come across it. Zamak name was changed to Mazak in UK using Morris Ashby's initial when he got the rights to manufacture it here. What I was trying to indicate that I have worked on hundreds of air pistols and had a lot that are rusted solid (especially Webleys) through lack of care. On the other hand I have had air pistols like the Smith and Wesson 78G and 79G that have been neglected for years in a shed and they are like new. I am now fed up with this thread so will not be commenting again.

Baz

Two old Schimels nearly my age (I'm 72) in better condition than me.....https://i.imgur.com/nwYKI1o.jpg
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 18-08-2018 at 06:44 AM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD