Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hardest gun to strip?

Hardest gun to strip?

We have all had a nitemare gun to strip due to failure or fettling attempts. But after years of stripping guns I was handed a Walther cp88 by a mate that wouldn't fire, with limited help online I decided to have a go. After several hours and a lot of swearing I've finally got it working again, so many springs and moving parts that sprang out when pulling apart, what I complete bastard of a gun. What's yours?

I've never stripped one but the park rifle RH series, looked a complete bitch
    I had a look at one in a gunshop once and it had a bmx chain as a cocking lever.
    I remember really struggling to get an original trigger back together
    It was full of ball bearings.
    Good deals with:
    Dunn220, Leon, Bullcelt, stink£r, u.k.neil, supersharpshoot, william and airgun god, GEORGEY, telgun, Simon P and stubbs4612, Wellhouse0, harpo

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    We have all had a nitemare gun to strip due to failure or fettling attempts. But after years of stripping guns I was handed a Walther cp88 by a mate that wouldn't fire, with limited help online I decided to have a go. After several hours and a lot of swearing I've finally got it working again, so many springs and moving parts that sprang out when pulling apart, what I complete bastard of a gun. What's yours?
    Funnily enough it was a Walther CP88 for me too! The hammer spring had broken on this one so I took it to Richard Spencer at Target Technics who wouldn't touch it and told me to send it to the manufacturer, specifically warning me not to try it myself. Well, I did anyway and managed to do the job, but like you say they're like a pocket watch inside!

Cheers
    Greg

Webley Omega. Stripped it down recently to send off to be re-blued, and the trigger was an absolute bugger. I'm really not looking forward to putting that back together....

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
    Funnily enough it was a Walther CP88 for me too! The hammer spring had broken on this one so I took it to Richard Spencer at Target Technics who wouldn't touch it and told me to send it to the manufacturer, specifically warning me not to try it myself. Well, I did anyway and managed to do the job, but like you say they're like a pocket watch inside!

Cheers
    Greg
    I feel better that Richard wouldn't touch one, you are right it did resemble a watch movement , sure I counted 8 springs. How the hell do they make these on an assembly line???!!

Original 35 Super

The only one I had to go to someone with, with the 'bag of bits'
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by Hartcliffer View Post
    Webley Omega. Stripped it down recently to send off to be re-blued, and the trigger was an absolute bugger. I'm really not looking forward to putting that back together....
    There's a really good "how to" guide for the Omega trigger somewhere. It was actually done for a Theoben which used the same trigger group as the Omega/Eclipse/Patriot but it's relatable for the Webley.

If you Google it or search the Collectable section you'll find it.

Cheers
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post

Cheers
    Greg
    Not rifle related but when you said pocket watch it reminded me of the time I took the cap off the top of one of the injectors in my fiat van whilst trying to fix a fault with it... Holly crap I've never shrunk in confidence so fast . As you say.. billions of really small parts and as Tinbum puts it, there's always "f*** it" spring that pings off with atleast one or more other tiny parts which you never had chance to see how they fitted. The engineer who spent a day and eventually fixed it said very politely to me "don't do that again Rhys will you"
    Rhys
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Interestingly I recently did a CP88 and had no problems at all.

The issue that gave me most thought on what was wrong/caused it: a FWB300 with the sidelever stuck open. Eventually tracked it down to a worn ratchet bar.
    Item I had to have lunch and ponder over: An early Air Arms trigger unit from a sidelever. The first time I did it several years prior to this time, I had no problems at all but on this occasion I just got it wrong. Got it right eventually.
    A CO2 pistol from auction (can't remember model) ... stripped, corrected a seal and rebuilt as it had come apart, but it would not work. Eventually puzzled out that 'a person' had taken it apart before me and re-assembled it incorrectly. Ten minutes later all was well.

There were others that took time but were eventually sorted.
    Cheers, Phil

Stripping them never seems to be an issue for me; Reassembly sometimes is though!
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Not a gun but the magazine for a Kral NP02 Puncher.

I dropped mine and dislodged the tension spring. Despite there only being FIVE parts it took me (and a couple of other club members) nearly 30 minutes to get it working again. (I know the secret now. )

I was once told to strip Daystate magazines in a plastic bag.

I nearly suffocated.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Club members

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Not a gun but the magazine for a Kral NP02 Puncher.

I dropped mine and dislodged the tension spring. Despite there only being FIVE parts it took me (and a couple of other club members) nearly 30 minutes to get it working again. (I know the secret now. )

I was once told to strip Daystate magazines in a plastic bag.

I nearly suffocated.

ATB
    Ian
    That says more about our club members than it goes the magazine!😉
    J.
    ok, I admit it, I've got a problem.
    [url]http://www.rivington-riflemen.uk/[url]

A CP88/92fs strip-down & reassembly DVD from T. R. Robb is available on e**y for less than £5.....or it was when I bought mine. I've watched it and it looks fairly straightforward to follow. £5 well-spent if you need to strip one.

You Tube and Umarex Boys Club are your friend for Umarex pistols.

When you have done a few of the Umarex pistols you can develop an assembly technique. The easiest are the CP88 and 1911, the Beretta a bit more fiddly. I use two things that help a lot, a tiny dab of glue and a foot of dental floss ! I have worked on a few hundred airguns and the hardest so far I think is the Logun Sweet 16.
    Others are the Anschutz model 250 with hydraulic damping, the Original 66 trigger assembly.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD