Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hardest gun to strip?

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    Id dread to take my skan r32 apart. Heard they are a nightmare to work on.
    ive serviced/repaired all the skans,r32,96 shot .swift etc
    ph phoenex was a little tricky with the pins and spacing orings
    hardest to date it the BSA spitfire..but i did it,lol.
    had to make a couple of bits to do it,my lathe,digital caliper,thread lock and a 8mm collet chuck came in real handy but got there in the end.

I feel humble

Once dismantled a BSA scorpion trigger mechanism to clean rust of the sears! Several hours of cursing and wrong attempts and I eventually used another, without stripping it, to see how it should go together, now works a treat. Memo to self, next time take a photo before stripping! David.
    Oh hi to Mick, my s16 is still going strong, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    We have all had a nitemare gun to strip due to failure or fettling attempts. But after years of stripping guns I was handed a Walther cp88 by a mate that wouldn't fire, with limited help online I decided to have a go. After several hours and a lot of swearing I've finally got it working again, so many springs and moving parts that sprang out when pulling apart, what I complete bastard of a gun. What's yours?
    I had to be really really careful when I stripped a Diana Mod 30R, the model that was(is?) used in fun fairs. It was brand new in the box with a perished seal, hence a complete take-down to get to the piston.
    It has a pair of analogue counters that keep tally of how many BB's have been fired per refill and another how many have been fired during its lifetime.
    They are linked together via bevel gears and linked to the cocking mechanism via levers and springs. Not a gun to tackle in a couple of hours given the many return springs, linkages and pins.
    The Giss type Dianas are a piece of cake in comparison. The most complex trigger I've seen must be that of another Diana, the Model 100, but it is also one of the best.
    I find that no matter how simple or complex a mechanism is, it helps a lot if the parts are laid out sequentially and oriented exactly the same as how they were removed from the gun and placed on a cardboard with a small note or two to aid assembly. Photos of vernier readings are very good too especially where distances on adjustable bars and screws are involved. Saves a lot of trial and error later.

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    Original 35 Super

The only one I had to go to someone with, with the 'bag of bits'
    That happened to me too. And I blamed the silly beggar who took it to bits, lost interest and stuck it in the corner for two years in a carrier bag. I really lost my tag with him
    but he got it sorted in the end (this was pre internet days).
    Yes I've not made same mistake second time.
    Dave��

air gun.brockock safari. gun. the bloody sten. field fixed my bum. and the sterling.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

hardest

by far its the bsa lightening, that piston is ridiculous and the scope rail to get off.

I really struggled with the theoben/webley trigger... a real pain in the bum!
    Also the old BSA Mercury is quite tricky if you are trying to cram a big square spring in and aren't using a spring compressor and trigger block holder!
    I had a jam in my Remington 1100 that was a pain to fix.. lots of fiddly little components inside a metal box! In comparison I've also got a Browning auto 5 which is a doddle!
    I've got an Original 75 coming up soon which I'm actually looking forward to. I've been doing my research and speaking to folks that have worked on the Giss guns.. easy peasy lemon squeezy!

Ps.. here's the link to the theoben trigger walkthrough
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byi...w?usp=drivesdk
    Last edited by thisisdonald; 01-10-2018 at 05:38 PM.
    Donald

Summary of this thread for new readers:

Normal people admit that there are some guns they think they would find a challenge.

Others with natural mechanical aptitude, skills, experience and good toolkits say those guns are fine.

Original 35 & 50 if you've never done one before, spring and B-Bs everywhere. Original twin pistons, strip is easy, assy with feeler gauges not always so. Park 91 seemed terrifying, but with help not too bad; some of the Crosman pumps are a pig!! not had any of the Umarex ones yet but never say never. I think every repairer will have had a model that's a problem, but with today's social media, almost every gun has some advice somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    I really struggled with the theoben/webley trigger... a real pain in the bum!
    Also the old BSA Mercury is quite tricky if you are trying to cram a big square spring in and aren't using a spring compressor and trigger block holder!
    I had a jam in my Remington 1100 that was a pain to fix.. lots of fiddly little components inside a metal box! In comparison I've also got a Browning auto 5 which is a doddle!
    I've got an Original 75 coming up soon which I'm actually looking forward to. I've been doing my research and speaking to folks that have worked on the Giss guns.. easy peasy lemon squeezy!

Ps.. here's the link to the theoben trigger walkthrough
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byi...w?usp=drivesdk
    I changed my spring in my mercury easily. Ok my 20st m8 was pusing down as i turned the rear end. Better than a spring compressor as he is a big lad.