Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardest gun to strip?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hardest gun to strip?

We have all had a nitemare gun to strip due to failure or fettling attempts. But after years of stripping guns I was handed a Walther cp88 by a mate that wouldn't fire, with limited help online I decided to have a go. After several hours and a lot of swearing I've finally got it working again, so many springs and moving parts that sprang out when pulling apart, what I complete bastard of a gun. What's yours?

I've never stripped one but the park rifle RH series, looked a complete bitch
    I had a look at one in a gunshop once and it had a bmx chain as a cocking lever.
    I remember really struggling to get an original trigger back together
    It was full of ball bearings.
    Good deals with:
    Dunn220, Leon, Bullcelt, stink£r, u.k.neil, supersharpshoot, william and airgun god, GEORGEY, telgun, Simon P and stubbs4612, Wellhouse0, harpo

Webley Omega. Stripped it down recently to send off to be re-blued, and the trigger was an absolute bugger. I'm really not looking forward to putting that back together....

Quote Originally Posted by Hartcliffer View Post
    Webley Omega. Stripped it down recently to send off to be re-blued, and the trigger was an absolute bugger. I'm really not looking forward to putting that back together....
    There's a really good "how to" guide for the Omega trigger somewhere. It was actually done for a Theoben which used the same trigger group as the Omega/Eclipse/Patriot but it's relatable for the Webley.

If you Google it or search the Collectable section you'll find it.

Cheers
    Greg

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveo View Post
    I've never stripped one but the park rifle RH series, looked a complete bitch
    I had a look at one in a gunshop once and it had a bmx chain as a cocking lever.
    I remember really struggling to get an original trigger back together
    It was full of ball bearings.
    The park has quite a few extra steps and considerations due to it's design, but it's really quite easy.

For me a hard gun to strip is one where even if you know exactly what you are doing, it's still a pain...!
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Never found a gun hard to strip, its the getting back together thats the hard bit

But seriously.. for me the 2 most complex rifles I've stripped and rebuilt are
    1) parker hale dragon - mainly for its very unique design
    2) FWB300s - for its complexity and the fear of getting it wrong.

Both accomplished by working patiently and methodically.
    B.A.S.C. member

The EDgun leshiy Trigger not other parts were dead easy but the Trigger boy o boy no room in there to fiddle with any thing you can get shears out to polish but a nightmare to reassembled
    Ex Royal Navy Retired have fun while it lasts."I Do"
    B.S.A.R Member

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    Never found a gun hard to strip, its the getting back together thats the hard bit

But seriously.. for me the 2 most complex rifles I've stripped and rebuilt are
    1) parker hale dragon - mainly for its very unique design
    2) FWB300s - for its complexity and the fear of getting it wrong.

Both accomplished by working patiently and methodically.
    Yeah, agree with that - dragon seals especially are a real pain, as if you get one a fraction too tight, power nosedives
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Yeah, agree with that - dragon seals especially are a real pain, as if you get one a fraction too tight, power nosedives
    You may well be right with the seal thing. I used aftermarket seals and my .177 only made around 10ftlbs after rebuild. Shot very well at that though.
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    We have all had a nitemare gun to strip due to failure or fettling attempts. But after years of stripping guns I was handed a Walther cp88 by a mate that wouldn't fire, with limited help online I decided to have a go. After several hours and a lot of swearing I've finally got it working again, so many springs and moving parts that sprang out when pulling apart, what I complete bastard of a gun. What's yours?
    Funnily enough it was a Walther CP88 for me too! The hammer spring had broken on this one so I took it to Richard Spencer at Target Technics who wouldn't touch it and told me to send it to the manufacturer, specifically warning me not to try it myself. Well, I did anyway and managed to do the job, but like you say they're like a pocket watch inside!

Cheers
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
    Funnily enough it was a Walther CP88 for me too! The hammer spring had broken on this one so I took it to Richard Spencer at Target Technics who wouldn't touch it and told me to send it to the manufacturer, specifically warning me not to try it myself. Well, I did anyway and managed to do the job, but like you say they're like a pocket watch inside!

Cheers
    Greg
    I feel better that Richard wouldn't touch one, you are right it did resemble a watch movement , sure I counted 8 springs. How the hell do they make these on an assembly line???!!

Original 35 Super

The only one I had to go to someone with, with the 'bag of bits'
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    Original 35 Super

The only one I had to go to someone with, with the 'bag of bits'
    That happened to me too. And I blamed the silly beggar who took it to bits, lost interest and stuck it in the corner for two years in a carrier bag. I really lost my tag with him
    but he got it sorted in the end (this was pre internet days).
    Yes I've not made same mistake second time.
    Dave��

air gun.brockock safari. gun. the bloody sten. field fixed my bum. and the sterling.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post

Cheers
    Greg
    Not rifle related but when you said pocket watch it reminded me of the time I took the cap off the top of one of the injectors in my fiat van whilst trying to fix a fault with it... Holly crap I've never shrunk in confidence so fast . As you say.. billions of really small parts and as Tinbum puts it, there's always "f*** it" spring that pings off with atleast one or more other tiny parts which you never had chance to see how they fitted. The engineer who spent a day and eventually fixed it said very politely to me "don't do that again Rhys will you"
    Rhys
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.