Thread: BSA Cadet Restoration and Modification

BSA Cadet Restoration and Modification

After getting a bit of criticism for cleaning up the rust and painting my 1949-51 (BA serial) BSA Cadet, I figured I'd give slow rust bluing a go (7 cycles of rusting and boiling). Attached are the results. I could have done a few more rust/boil cycles on the cylinder but I was quite keen to get it re-assembled. Additionally the stock, though in fine condition previously, also got a rub-down and 3 coats of wood stain.

Also, as originally intended I made scope mountings for the gun. Again, some people were not all that enamoured with modifying a 70 year old gun so I gave it a bit more thought and made non-intrusive mounts. These are made from aluminium tube which slide (very snugly) over the cylinder and are clamped with the stock. On top if the aluminium I machined some steel tube off-centre to make the ID the same as the OD of the aluminium when on the cylinder. Then I milled some dovetails into the steel. The steel pieces cannot rotate as they locate on the stock. The steel bits were epoxied (3 ton epoxy) onto the aluminium - surface area is something in the order of 9cm square so that should be ample to handle the shock. Holds a scope beautifully and now allows me to actually see what I'm trying to shoot at. Can't blame the gun anymore for my poor shooting ability... Big thanks to Jules (deejayuu) for sending me a scope for this project.

All in all the internals were in very good nick. I cleaned out one small burr in the cylinder and re-oiled and cleaned the leather seal. After putting it all together, the observant among you might notice the cap on the scope catches the barrel when cocking so I took off the cap until such time as taller scope mounts arrive. Shoots very nicely (as it always did to be fair).

I was given this gun by a customer of mine when helping her clear out her garage. I went back to her house the other day and was telling her about the rifle restoration. She told me the gun belonged originally to her grandfather (and she is 70!) so it looks like this gun has been in one family for all it's life up til last year when I got it. Apparently he couldn't shoot for toffee so the gun was never used all that much. Considering the condition of the internals that seems to ring true.

Looks like I can't attach... anyway, here is a link to a Google Photo page:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/vMWmwgty4JQSbkkb9

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe

Thumbs up

Nice work. It must be very satisfying to give an old reliable work horse like this the cosmetic makeover it deserves.

I had a Cadet 20 years ago, and loved it. They are brilliant little rifles, simple, clean lines and fun to shoot. Well done on a nice restoration.

Matt

That is a very nice way to adapt a BSA Cadet for a scope sight. I think that is great work. As my eyes age, I find it increasingly difficult to use open sights, even the rudimentary ones fitted to the Cadet, so a simpethetic scope mounting system, like the one you have designed makes the gun so much more user friendly, and useful.

As to the folks that are questioning, adapting a 60 year old gun. Well they made just shy of 108,000 Cadets, and most change hands for around 50.00-60.00 quid, as few young guys seem to want them these days. So, I wouldn't worry about it, since they are not exactly rare. All power to your elbow

That's a great job you've done there on a very fine wee rifle as well as a really innovative method of attaching the scope mounts. Very well done, sir!

Grand job,some well thought out ideas,a great deal of satisfaction when rust bluing has turned out the way it has,great!

Beautifully crafted and a pleasure to see. Hope you're happy with the effort and result 'cos I would be.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    What a great job you have done there, and you can now get some enjoyment out of it again happy days.

Awesome, great job! Interesting how you got that nice finish with rust bluing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    That is a very nice way to adapt a BSA Cadet for a scope sight. I think that is great work. As my eyes age, I find it increasingly difficult to use open sights, even the rudimentary ones fitted to the Cadet, so a simpethetic scope mounting system, like the one you have designed makes the gun so much more user friendly, and useful.

As to the folks that are questioning, adapting a 60 year old gun. Well they made just shy of 108,000 Cadets, and most change hands for around 50.00-60.00 quid, as few young guys seem to want them these days. So, I wouldn't worry about it, since they are not exactly rare. All power to your elbow
    I agree with Lakey, don't worry what others say about modding these there are so many around. I have renovated around 40, still have 4 in bits and my RFD has a rack of half a dozen for sale. I Tigerseal a piece of tube section on the compression chamber to fit scopes.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Had another look, he has an assortment of 8 with Majors. One not in rack.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD