Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Original Model 6 - parts or scruffy example wanted

Original Model 6 - parts or scruffy example wanted

Some time last year I bought an Original Model 6 with a grey moulded grip from a seller here on the BBS.

The pistol is in lovely condition externally, but I bought it needing new seals and a rebuild etc.

Unfortunately we have now discovered that the internal condition of the pistol is a lot worse than I was lead to expect as the racks on both pistons are knackered so we cannot put it back together again until these are replaced. It could also do with a pair of new caps!

If anyone happens to have a pair of these pistons for a Model 6 that they would like to sell, please let me know!

Being realistic, I don't think there are too many of these Model 6 pistons growing on the trees out there, so my best chance of getting this lovely old pistol working again is to try to find and buy a cheap Model 6 that has the parts that I need.

The external condition of the pistol is of no interest as it is only the internal parts that I need so a rough and tatty example would be fine - and if it is shooting OK then the chances are that the pistons inside that I need will be OK too.

Please contact me by email or PM if you can help in any way.
    Last edited by zooma; 15-08-2018 at 12:44 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

A bonus would be if anyone has a nice example (of any type or age) Model 6 that they would like to sell at a modest price !

I need to replace all of the internal parts including the springs, gears, pistons and seals (and the gear caps too!) so a nice working example but at a really good price could work out to be more cost effective.

It would not matter if the sights were missing or if the grips were damaged or missing either so there must be a chance that somebody out there has something suitable that would help me fix my Model 6 and raise some cash for the owner too!

YHPM.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Mod 6

I think I might have what your looking for, let me have a look.
    Rgds Kev

I have repaired quite a few of these, done one last week. You probably know already that if the racks and gears are a small amount out of correct position when screwing in the two side pinions, damage will occur when firing for the first time. This is why a lot of these pistols have teeth missing on the racks. When assembled correctly they are smooth and lovely to shoot. I find them hard to beat for accuracy and trigger pull the price they sell for.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    I have repaired quite a few of these, done one last week. You probably know already that if the racks and gears are a small amount out of correct position when screwing in the two side pinions, damage will occur when firing for the first time. This is why a lot of these pistols have teeth missing on the racks. When assembled correctly they are smooth and lovely to shoot. I find them hard to beat for accuracy and trigger pull the price they sell for.

Baz
    I am looking forward to getting my grey moulded Model 6 back together again Baz.

The missing teeth on the piston racks may have been damaged by a previous owner/re-builder - as you suggest!

The "military style" plastic gripped Model 6 was my first recoilless target pistol after I started the Exmouth club back in 1971, and most of our club members bought one too.

All of the Model 6 pistols in our club had the later brown moulded grips - I never saw the earlier grey moulded grip on a Model 6 until many years later, although I did (and still have) a grey grip on a Model 5.

When I later changed to an FWB 65 my shooting did not improve - the Original Model 6 is a highly under-rated target pistol in my opinion, and once the strange feel of the upright moulded grip had been mastered it was enjoyed by everyone who shot it.
    Last edited by zooma; 17-08-2018 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    YHPM.
    This Model 6 has already been sold (at your event on Saturday) but thanks for the lead as it may have helped.

Still looking !

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    This Model 6 has already been sold (at your event on Saturday) but thanks for the lead as it may have helped.

Still looking !

And I bet it went at a bargain price to. Not that that helps you.

Snooze you loose.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

fine threaded caps

Hi,
    the fine threads on the action and the two caps are very delicate. If these are damaged, rather than try to fix with other parts, its more economical to get another gun that has a known good action (even if the seal is shot), strip it, re blue it (if necessary) and when correctly assembled will last many many years.

When buying any Giss-actioned gun like the Mod 6, make sure that it cocks and fires recoilessly at least once before buying. That way you can be reasonably sure the internals are good. Scratched knurling on the side caps and end-cap are another thing that can indicate previous heavy handed intervention.
    If buying spares unseen, get the seller to send you hi resolution images of the threads on both the caps and action threads. The teeth on the idler gears and the piston racks should be sharp, even and with no chips or missing teeth. E-gun can be a good source for these parts or whole guns for parts.
    Good luck with the restoration.

When assembling I always check that gears can drop into place centrally between the two racks without any force required and the side pinions can be easily screwed in place with fingers only initially. This indicates that everything is aligned properly. If any force is required it means that something is out of correct alignment.

Baz

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    When assembling I always check that gears can drop into place centrally between the two racks without any force required and the side pinions can be easily screwed in place with fingers only initially. This indicates that everything is aligned properly. If any force is required it means that something is out of correct alignment.

Baz
    Exactly, its a fingers only job when assembling. I always do up the gear caps without the gears at first to see if there are any stiff spots (there should not be any) on the threads.
    Once this has been established and the caps can be done up all the way in effortlessly, you are all set to insert the gears and close the caps while minutely adjusting the pressure on the rear piston to align the racks with the gears with the pinion of the gear caps, till the caps screw on using fingers only.

Good advice - now all I need is the parts!

Another tip I learned when repairing our six club model 6's. Before reassembly screw on just the mainspring cap a turn, then slowly unscrew it. Mark the exact spot that it comes off with Tippex on cap and body. When reassembling align the marks, back off a tad, press together against the mainspring and rotate to engage thread. No guesswork while the biceps are struggling!

What's your budget to repair ?

Vic Thompson.

Quote Originally Posted by TenMetrePeter View Post
    Another tip I learned when repairing our six club model 6's. Before reassembly screw on just the mainspring cap a turn, then slowly unscrew it. Mark the exact spot that it comes off with Tippex on cap and body. When reassembling align the marks, back off a tad, press together against the mainspring and rotate to engage thread. No guesswork while the biceps are struggling!
    There is no struggling to assemble an Original 6, you can assemble the spring using a simple clamp and the spring is held in a compressed position by the gears. The end cap can be screwed on easily by hand under no pressure. The picture below shows the end of the back piston with the spring pressure behind it and the cap removed. It is one of the easiest spring piston air pistols to assemble.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]