Thread: Best Airgun

Best Airgun

Ive got a budget of £500 for a used or new airgun, whats the best i can get for that low (ish) budget? Ive had s200 and 400 in past and were good guns but would like something better. Whats everyones thoughts?

If you are really lucky a nice HW100.

The S200 and 400 are excellent guns, imo for your budget you will be hard pushed to find better. A second hand S510 is a very good buy though
    Edit : The FX Typhoon is a very accurate gun with a decent shot count, a bit different as well
    Last edited by Trumpetier; 15-08-2018 at 07:54 PM.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Depends what you mean by 'something better'

Shot count?
    Handling?
    Weight?
    Consistency?

Answer might be different depending on what you want

hello BSA R 10 SE

For that money on a new rifle, if you're looking PCP, you'll struggle to beat an S200.

But, if I was going new with that budget, I'd probably go for a TX200hc in a walnut stock.

Good luck with your choice 👍

All of the above.

You could spend double your budget , and still not end up with something as reliable or accurate as the AA Guns you have already had.

A Daystate Harrier or X2 may fall into that budget range , and are very good , if a bit 'dated'.

If you were after something a little different and a good solid 'all rounder', I would say A BSA Scorpion SE , in 177 flavor would be just what you could be looking for.
    Peace through superior fire power!

Quote Originally Posted by carlm View Post
    Ive got a budget of £500 for a used or new airgun, whats the best i can get for that low (ish) budget? Ive had s200 and 400 in past and were good guns but would like something better. Whats everyones thoughts?
    Having just reread your original words, I see the word "better"

AA are in a happy place in air guns, they are up there with the 'best' of them, but down there in price!
    My MPR is totally accurate and after 6+ years of shooting, never once let me down.
    This is totally normal for an AA rifle.

You may think Daystate, FX etc are 'better' because they cost upto three times more money, but trust me, they have their problems, just ask some impact owners !! The BSA R10 has had loads of issues and in my opinion does not have the same quality feel as my MPR.

I was recommended an MPR by my old club mates years ago, I'm very glad I bought one, never looked back. I don't think you'll find something 'better' than AA, just cosmetically 'better' in your eyes.

Try and find a SH 510, 410 or 400.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    Having just reread your original words, I see the word "better"

AA are in a happy place in air guns, they are up there with the 'best' of them, but down there in price!
    My MPR is totally accurate and after 6+ years of shooting, never once let me down.
    This is totally normal for an AA rifle.

You may think Daystate, FX etc are 'better' because they cost upto three times more money, but trust me, they have their problems, just ask some impact owners !! The BSA R10 has had loads of issues and in my opinion does not have the same quality feel as my MPR.

I was recommended an MPR by my old club mates years ago, I'm very glad I bought one, never looked back. I don't think you'll find something 'better' than AA, just cosmetically 'better' in your eyes.

Try and find a SH 510, 410 or 400.
    Wise words on AA!!!! I have a Prosport, TX200 and S510 and they are without a doubt, outstanding quality rifles. You would definitely be hard pushed to find better.

You could consider a BSA Ultra SE as well. Excellent as is but can easily be improved. Over the years I have tuned it, fitted a regulator, a Hubb shroud and larger air cylinder. One of my favourite workhorse.

Thanks guys for all your input, i should have been a little more clearer on my post. Im looking for a pcp for hunting so taking all you advice on board i will stick with an air Arms if i cant pick up an HW100 for my budget.

Unless theres another reliable gun i should consider.

S510 woukd 've your best option,

I bought my huntsman classic for around 500... I guess really you should go and handle a load of different guns and see what you like. There are hw100's out there for that budget and loads of them for £550ish. The s200/s400 are renowned guns again for up to £500 and BSA have loads of offerings. All the above will give you the same accuracy for hunting so handling & feel is going to be the only difference in what you buy as any will be suitable for what you want.
    ATB
    Rhys
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.