Thread: Valuation sought - Original Model 52 Sidelever

Valuation sought - Original Model 52 Sidelever

An old mate surprised me this afternoon by revealing that he'd had this stashed away for about 30 years and could only remember firing it once. It's a .22 with both Tasco and open sights. He's considering selling it and wonders what it might be worth. It's too modern for my reference books so I'm trying to help him on here. I'd describe it as mint.......

I have never been able to post photos on here but will happily email them to anyone interested enough to ask by PM. It will probably be tomorrow afternoon before I send them as I'm off to bed for a 0145 start. If I've time then I'll fire photos off.

Thanks in advance, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

I cant say for certain but I have seen them listed for between £200 and £350. If it is as mint as you say, I guess you could be looking at £300 plus.

Thought I'd just move this for a wider audience, Mick.

Theres a battered one for sale for £120 so sounds about right at £200 plus if the condition is good.

I would agree £250-£300, but it should be noted that at 12ft/lbs they are very harsh shooters!

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Thought I'd just move this for a wider audience, Mick.
    Thank you. Much appreciated.

I should have given the serial number: 960451.

Perhaps someone will be able to date it?

Thanks again, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

The age of the 52 would mean it has a T01 trigger unit which is not as good as a current T06.
    Though still a useable rifle, its technically not a classic.
    I'd say value would be less than an equivalent model with a T06 trigger so probably £200 tops. Not an easy rifle to sell at any price as its rather unsuited to sub12
    B.A.S.C. member

Original model 52

If immaculate and as you say little fired I would be considering 300 every day.
    Including open sights,period tasco too ? .
    The scope I would remove carefully ,if no marks sell separately.

Solid rifle and a very capable t01trigger .
    Try and buy one as well made today and compare the rifle and price.

Would take little more than a simple strip 're lube and spring sleeve for it to feel beautiful .

Don't give it away.beautiful rifles but not everyone's cup of t .never the less they have a solid following who will pay good money especially for one stamped original in such nice as described condition.

Quote Originally Posted by walnutfarmmick View Post

I should have given the serial number: 960451.

Perhaps someone will be able to date it?

Thanks again, Mick

If you look at the rear left hand side of the action between stock and scope rail, you should find the production date stamped there by the smallest stamps known to mankind, Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Dipple View Post
    I would agree £250-£300, but it should be noted that at 12ft/lbs they are very harsh shooters!
    Hmmm. I have shot most springers from that period- either having owned them or having tried them as being owned by a mate and I have to say I would never ever have described them as very harsh shooters. Indeed the spring on my 88/89 (cant recall which) 52 Firebird is akin to the spring out a Bic biro.
    Nope there are other suspects I would put in front of a 52 in those stakes.
    Having a potential of 25ft llbs plus across the pond does mean its tickling along at 12ft llbs and maybe not hugely suited to that level. In the days when power was everything it was designed to match the HW80, and it was more than capable in that respect of smoking an 80.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    The age of the 52 would mean it has a T01 trigger unit which is not as good as a current T06.
    Though still a useable rifle, its technically not a classic.
    I'd say value would be less than an equivalent model with a T06 trigger so probably £200 tops. Not an easy rifle to sell at any price as its rather unsuited to sub12
    Agree. Compared to the competition they are pretty crude. At least an Original is old enough to have more metal bits than the later guns. What it's worth ultimately and precisely depends on the buyer, despite the unfavourable comparison with other guns there are fans for all marques and a mint old gun certainly has an attraction, if not as a working gun.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS