Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light/loose pellets lower power in my Hw77K?

Light/loose pellets lower power in my Hw77K?

Hi all!

I’ve been pellet testing since I started running low on my hw77’s diet of FTT’s/Superdomes - and thought I’d try some exact rs, weirauch f&t and falcons.
    All three had fairly similar groups at 35 yds, the falcons just edging it with a sub 20mm with 5 shots. What I don’t understand is the falcons and jsb are producing ~10.2 ft/lb and the hw’s are managing 12.9 ft/lb?
    The pellets are noticeably looser than the hw’s, but I thought (wrongly!) that this was good in a springer?

Any thoughts?

Cheers, Matt

It's the popgun effect. The pellet has to be tight enough to hold on till a point of maximum compression, then away it goes. If it's loose it goes too early, before that point has been reached, so you haven't got maximum efficiency from the system.

I'm sure someone will explain it much better than me.

Your explanation is good, I’m just surprised at the difference that’s all!
    It’s in .22 by the way, I forgot that part (in case it matters?).

Cheers, Matt

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by bill57 View Post
    It's the popgun effect. The pellet has to be tight enough to hold on till a point of maximum compression, then away it goes. If it's loose it goes too early, before that point has been reached, so you haven't got maximum efficiency from the system.

I'm sure someone will explain it much better than me.
    Nope, that's it. Loosey poopy, tighty righty! Or something.....
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Properly fitting pellets will give a much nicer shot cycle as well.

Okay then, so my next question is - what is the best fitting/lightest/most accurate pellet for my gun?!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    Okay then, so my next question is - what is the best fitting/lightest/most accurate pellet for my gun?!
    Try accupell or AA field diabolo but they are heavier, Both should be a good fit.

Been testing pellets myself in my 77k .177
    Accupells and jsb both worked very well jsb being best over all
    Hope that helps

H&N field target trophy .22 are 5.53. Very good accuracy, better than JSB or AA field in my 80 and 97k.
    mk2 rapid.22

Hi all!

I’ve been pellet testing since I started running low on my hw77’s diet of FTT’s/Superdomes - and thought I’d try some exact rs, weirauch f&t and falcons.
    All three had fairly similar groups at 35 yds, the falcons just edging it with a sub 20mm with 5 shots. What I don’t understand is the falcons and jsb are producing ~10.2 ft/lb and the hw’s are managing 12.9 ft/lb?
    The pellets are noticeably looser than the hw’s, but I thought (wrongly!) that this was good in a springer?

Any thoughts?

Cheers, Matt
    Too much preload on the spring

A lump off the spring would see the lighter pellets making more power and the shot cycle calmed down somewhat.
    With the figure's you have I'd definitely sort it
    B.A.S.C. member

Hi all!

Any thoughts?

Cheers, Matt
    Your findings are similar to my own.
    I have a 0.22" HW77 rifle which has been used with H&N FTT in 5.53mm for many years.
    When I bought an HW100S I bought a selection of pellets for testing and decided to test the '77 at the same time.
    I had heard that Weihrauch claim to finish their barrels to 4.51mm (0.177") and 5.51 mm (0.22") and therefore market their versions of H&N FTT (F&TSpecial) and JSB Exact (FT-Exact) in those sizes.
    During the testing I found that the Weihrauch F&T Special were noticeably easier to load into the breech of my '77 and fly significantly faster, producing the highest muzzle energy of all the pellets that I have used. Pleasingly, they are also the most accurate out to 50 metres (my longest available range) and are now my "go to" pellet.
    The JSB versions also work very well in both of my Weihrauch rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by madcarlos View Post
    Try accupell or AA field diabolo but they are heavier, Both should be a good fit.
    Still not tried either of those to be honest, they’ll go on my next purchase!

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    Too much preload on the spring

A lump off the spring would see the lighter pellets making more power and the shot cycle calmed down somewhat.
    With the figure's you have I'd definitely sort it
    Very interesting! I wasn’t aware of this effect... I have a couple of pre-load washers in there, as I’m in France and can have <20J. If I remove them you think power with lighter pellets would increase?

Not after ultimate power, but was disappointed how lacking it was with the lightweights!

Only person who can answer that is you by testing different brands .

Sorry, was meant as a tongue-in-cheek comment