Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Light/loose pellets lower power in my Hw77K?

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    Very interesting! I wasn’t aware of this effect... I have a couple of pre-load washers in there, as I’m in France and can have <20J.
    Join a club, no limits then.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

I have been very tempted by this, also to get my permis de chasse - but unfortunately at the moment I just don’t have the time!

If I can sort the hw77k out however, I’ll be happy enough for now!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    Hi all!

I’ve been pellet testing since I started running low on my hw77’s diet of FTT’s/Superdomes - and thought I’d try some exact rs, weirauch f&t and falcons.
    All three had fairly similar groups at 35 yds, the falcons just edging it with a sub 20mm with 5 shots. What I don’t understand is the falcons and jsb are producing ~10.2 ft/lb and the hw’s are managing 12.9 ft/lb?
    The pellets are noticeably looser than the hw’s, but I thought (wrongly!) that this was good in a springer?

Any thoughts?

Cheers, Matt
    I sincerely hope that this is a typo.

A.G

No typo, I’m in France so am allowed up to 20 Joules (~14.75 ft/lb) before fac - so well within limits.

I've always had good success with Accu's in older 77's in 0.22. As always it's a matter of finding a pellet for that barrel but the Accu's/Prems ( boxed ) are usually a 'larger' pellet so if you have a rifle that prefers a tighter fitting pellet then they may work well.

How old is your 77?

Is it 25 or 26mm?

Just to throw a curve ball into the mix ...

There has always been an opinion that the transfer port on the 77's is designed for maybe a lower power level ( maybe the 6fp allowed in Germany ), and/or so that the rifle will shoot a range of pellets ... starting at 7gr or lower in 0.177.

I'm going to allow myself to say that maybe a light pellet may react similarly to a loose fitting pellet. I remember following a thread by Bigtoe on here ( or somewhere ) where he talked about tuning the rifle in to shoot a certain weight ( or shoot a certain weight better ) by adjusting the TP. Certain rifles were mentioned where the TP had been opened to optimise performance with a heavier pellet ... but then one had to avoid using very light pellets with that rifle ( presumably to avoid slam? ). As one did this the power difference between heavier ( presumably also tighter ) and lighter ( presumably also slacker ) pellets widened.

So I wondered if yours was an older 77 ( not owned from new ) and if the TP had been opened up? Hence the wide gap between the tighter and looser fitting pellets. It may just be that the looser ones are, as explained by a few guys above, not allowing enough pressure before setting off.

Having said that the nicest, and easiest to shoot accurately, 77 that I had was an old 25mm that I tuned and it shot Accu's at about 14.5fp ... so perfect for you. That had a standard TP.

... and yes ... I tuned it straight back down to under 12 once I realised it was doing 14.5 over the chrono ( same day ).

Wow, thanks for such an in depth reply!
    Indeed it is an older 25mm piston mk2 - mid 80’s I think? I fitted a tinbum kit and gave it all a good clean/polish and new seals but that’s as far as I’ve gone with it. Already shoots nicely, but was rather confused by the lighter pellet results.

As far as I know the transfer port is standard (but would be lying if I told you I knew anything about that stuff...). What would it be normally? I will have to look for that thread!

Just added accupells to my list thanks!

My mk1 97 shoots Falcon Accuracy pellets well,they are lower ft/lb value than domes but group better . I'm afraid you'll have to conduct exhaustive pellet testing oh no poor you