Thread: Should there be a LGV Carbine?

Should there be a LGV Carbine?

I'm currently putting a TBT kit in my LGV (brilliant service from Nick) and it got me thinking why haven't we got a carbine version of this rifle?

I only hunt and with a mod it does make the rifle a tad long. Surely it cannot be much of an overhead to provide a shorter barrel option?

The alternative of course is to get it done on my rifle itself, but I have no idea whether that would be possible (does the barrel come out of the breech easily?)

Would there be any issues with a shorter barrel?

Thoughts welcome!

I have the Lgv master pro , and they are a big man sized rifle.
    I think it would unbalance the gun if you shortened the barrel to much.
    I don't know how long the barrel is as standard,but it's not over long to start with.
    Regards
    Les..

The barrel is 15.7 inches long and the barrel as a unf thread on the end.
    You could possibly take 3 inches off and use a steel silencer to even up the balance maybe??.
    Les..

Hello Rob

I don't find mine too long but it's all personal preference. When I add a mod it's extremely quiet but yes, it does get long. I don't use the mod that often so it doesn't bother me.

I have very little knowledge of this but what from what in have read, shortening the barrel may alter the snappiness of a springer, especially in 177. I'd be tempted to leave the barrel as they are so accurate. When. I looked at threading my 99 barrel, a lot of people thought it was too short to get in the lathe (although I'm not an engineer and can't verify this). Im sure some tuners will have the answer.

Forgive me for butting in, but how do you like the tune? Did you have the guides and spring swapped and does it feel any different to shoot?

Keep us posted if you do shorten the barrel, would be interesting to see the results

No!

I thought there had already been an LGV carbine, I thought Armex sold one a couple of years ago as a package with synthetic stock and Walther scope ?

I have 3 LGV's and find them incredibly accurate and very quiet. I have a moderator on the one I use for hunting and to be honest I don't really find the length a problem. My answer to this is why change something that is already excellent. Would it upset the balance not sure, although it is quite a hefty weight at the end so possibly it would.
    I tell you what chop a couple of inches of your barrel and let us know how it is please. It does make you wonder though.
    Shooting Air Rifles is like being a pubic hair on a toilet seat.
    Eventually someone comes a long and P's you off.
    They usually have a PCP

Quote Originally Posted by rg627 View Post
    Hello Rob

I don't find mine too long but it's all personal preference. When I add a mod it's extremely quiet but yes, it does get long. I don't use the mod that often so it doesn't bother me.

I have very little knowledge of this but what from what in have read, shortening the barrel may alter the snappiness of a springer, especially in 177. I'd be tempted to leave the barrel as they are so accurate. When. I looked at threading my 99 barrel, a lot of people thought it was too short to get in the lathe (although I'm not an engineer and can't verify this). Im sure some tuners will have the answer.

Forgive me for butting in, but how do you like the tune? Did you have the guides and spring swapped and does it feel any different to shoot?

Keep us posted if you do shorten the barrel, would be interesting to see the results

Yes I think I'll keep it as is. Not finished the tune yet, need to cut the spring down, but the kit is quality so I have high hopes.

I'll put a report up when it's done especially as I've had two official springs in the gun and it's been low on power. The TbT spring looks to have wider spaces between the coils and is currently longer than standard. I have no idea what I need to take it down to so experimenting is required.

If it is low on power have a very careful look at the fit of the seal. I had a lot of trouble with my LGV when I fitted the TX spring recommended in AGW, and the problem was entirely due to a tight fitting seal (instantly and correctly diagnosed on here by BTDT). Quite a lot of work getting the original Walther seal down to an easy push fit, from the very tight push fit in standard trim, but instantly added over 2 ft lbs to the energy.
    Last edited by Vernal; 19-08-2018 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vernal View Post
    If it is low on power have a very careful look at the fit of the seal. I had a lot of trouble with my LGV when I fitted the TX spring recommended in AGW, and the problem was entirely due to a tight fitting seal (instantly and correctly diagnosed on here by BTDT). Quite a lot of work getting the original Walther seal down to an easy push fit, from the very tight push fit in standard trim, but instantly added over 2 ft lbs to the energy.
    How did you resize the seal Vernal? Was it a matter of taking sandpaper to it? I worried about getting the resize even using that method. I do not have a lathe which I'm guessing would be the best method?

I have a chopped LGV but don't really know whether that qualifies it as a carbine. Done by Steve Pope before I bought the gun on here. He also fitted the RACE Slimtech on the gun which is very smart. I'm very pleased with the gun-it certainly shoots well.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.