Thread: Hw95 internals

Hw95 internals

I stripped an old 95 this evening to start having a play about with it, and a couple of questions arose. I just followed the tinbum video on YouTube, so thanks for that. The gun was only making about 10.5 ftlb, and wasn’t particularly consistent.

Where the slots are cut into the underside of the cylinder for trigger block, cocking linkage etc, is very rough when you slide a finger up the inside. This can’t be doing the piston seal any good? The seal on this gun does look a bit worse for wear. What’s the trick for getting the ratty edges off?

Where’s the best place to get things like piston seals, barrel pivot shims etc?

Regarding the internals, this is what came out after a quick clean. Are these standard parts? I don’t know if the pic will display, for some reason I can’t post attachments in this part of the forum.

As it happens I just cleaned it all up, and very sparingly regressed with a bit of what I had to hand. I also turned a couple of Delrin slip washers for inside the piston, and another for down at the trigger end on the spring guide. Straight away that gave me just shy of 12, so I’ll need to keep an eye on it. It was more to just see how it behaved once all the cruddy old grease was out of it.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Yep, that's all standard but the shims and relube will have helped. If you want to make yourself any other bits just drop me a pm and I'll give you some dimensions
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Looks factory parts to me. Seal seems usable. What fit did you go for? I like falling under own weight but holding with TP blocked.
    Opinions vary for de burring tools too. I like to finish with nail boards 'cos they're readily available at ours
    Just don't get caught.

Thanks for the info gents, much appreciated. Tinbum, I may drop you a message if I decide to redo the guide.
    As for piston fit inside the cylinder I hadn’t given it a thought. How do you actually alter it? From memory when I assembled it last night it was a reasonably snug fit. I didn’t get the impression it would fall under its own weight.

I have just done the same with my 95. I fitted a tbt maki pro to mine with new seals and it was lovely to shoot but was a tad hot after it started to settle down which was a massive surprise as it seems so tame. It’s now in bits again till I get time to take a coil off the spring at work and then get it back together again.

Had it in bits again today, quite enjoying farting around with it. It helps that it’s a doddle to strip. The only pain is the barrel and linkage, so I may make a sleeved screw for that, so the barrel can stay on.

Cut a grove at the back of the piston. They must factory harden these, really struggled with the parting tool so took the harder outer off with a toolpost mounted grinder. Once the the worst of it I was able to cut a nice groove with a 3mm parting tip.

Turning the delrin bearing/ring. I don’t have a boring bar so had to improvise with a router bit.

Finished job on the piston, makes it much nicer to cock. Also made a top hat out of Delrin.
    It’s quite pleasant to shoot, I was surprised at the groups I was getting just resting on elbows on the bench. It’s right on about 11.8 with AA’s, about 11.5 with hobby, and it groups them surprising well, which will do me as they are a bit cheaper and should fly a bit flatter.
    Might have a play on the stock tomorrow, I fancy giving it an adjustable cheek piece.

Nicely done.

Do keep an ever so watchful eye on that power output, though.....it's very, very close.

Sorry I didn't jump in earlier, but to smooth off any rough edges on the cylinder ID, some wooden dowel with some fine wet and dry works well.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Yes, I forgot to say that’s what I did - I used a piece of 20mm dia Delrin with a strip of 400 grit emery on it, after a dose of debuting/filing.

Yes, the power is a touch close, it’s not finished yet. I need to source proper lubes, the stuff I have been using is for O rings :0.

Made a start on the stock today, I’ll do the rest with paintstripper. I’m going to have a bash at stippling the grip and fore end

Last edited by don1971; 19-08-2018 at 07:03 PM.

There or thereabouts bar a rub and a coat of oil. Very hard to a consistent finish, but pleased enough for a first effort.

Me likes.

Very well done.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!