Thread: FFP Scope Question (probably daft)

rgc_swanseaARC is offline He's not the Stig,,,He's the Stig's Welsh cousin

FFP Scope Question (probably daft)

Hi All,

This may be a very daft question but as I haven't had an ffp scope before I thought I'd better ask.

Is there anything I need to do differently in setting up i.e before I mount it up on the rifle and zero as per the usual routine.

Your help appreciated.

Regards,
    Rhys
    Last edited by rgc_swanseaARC; 21-08-2018 at 09:21 PM.
    Theoben TTR1 .177, Steven B Blue/Grey Laminate Stock, Nutshot Mod, Hawke Sidewinder 10x42 Tac IR
    Daystate Pulsar. 177, Donny FL Sumo Mod, Pard NV008LRF

Charlts is offline I'm not the Messiah, I'm King of the Creedbros!
    Leicester, Wigston, 171.27 miles North of Calais!
    Mount it, level it, zero it, shoot it!
    The toxicity of lead varies, depending upon the weight of its doseage and its velocity!

Hey Ryan...not sure why I didn't just ring you at this point lol.

Ive seen some info flying round the web (mainly from the USA) that its very important with ffp's to adjust the focus whilst on px infinity and the mag to full power?

Any truth in it?

Nearly all of my scopes have been 10x fixed mag for HFT so vari mag and ffp is new to me.
    Theoben TTR1 .177, Steven B Blue/Grey Laminate Stock, Nutshot Mod, Hawke Sidewinder 10x42 Tac IR

Quote Originally Posted by rgc_swanseaARC View Post
    Hi All,

This may be a very daft question but as I haven't had an ffp scope before I thought I'd better ask.

Is there anything I need to do differently in setting up i.e before I mount it up on the rifle and zero as per the usual routine.

Your help appreciated.

Regards,
    Rhys
    So long as the mildots are true at 10X ( for the sake of using ballistic programs to determine the POIs ) you have nothing to worry about. Set it up like a normal scope.

A.G

Thank you A.G

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    So long as the mildots are true at 10X ( for the sake of using ballistic programs to determine the POIs ) you have nothing to worry about. Set it up like a normal scope.

A.G
    Even that makes no difference, it's an FFP scope so the mil spacings are always measuring 1x mil. Rhys's scope has mil turrets too so everything matches up.
    The toxicity of lead varies, depending upon the weight of its doseage and its velocity!

Quote Originally Posted by rgc_swanseaARC View Post
    Hey Ryan...not sure why I didn't just ring you at this point lol.

Ive seen some info flying round the web (mainly from the USA) that its very important with ffp's to adjust the focus whilst on px infinity and the mag to full power?

Any truth in it?

Nearly all of my scopes have been 10x fixed mag for HFT so vari mag and ffp is new to me.
    Haha, always here to help mate. I've never treated FFP scopes different to anything else, the only step I skip with an airgun compared to usual is bore sighting as you can't see through the bore. Did the info give any valid reason for this?
    Last edited by Charlts; 22-08-2018 at 09:40 AM.

The one thing I've found different is that the thing you can do with a mirror against the objective lens to optically centre the reticle on an SFP scope before mounting it, just doesn't work on the couple of FFP scopes I tried it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlts View Post
    Haha, always here to help mate. I've never treated FFP scopes different to anything else, the only step I skip with an airgun compared to usual is bore sighting as you can't see through the bore. Did the info give any valid reason for this?
    The only reason given was due to the location of the reticule it is more sensitive than a sfp scope and therefore easier to mis set up the focus and the small errors can be more magnified by the reticule being enlarged when you zoom....could all be total BS but just wanted some other peoples thoughts too.

Here is the link to the one I read through. http://forum.snipershide.com/threads...pters.6252841/

Quote Originally Posted by YorkshireDave View Post
    The one thing I've found different is that the thing you can do with a mirror against the objective lens to optically centre the reticle on an SFP scope before mounting it, just doesn't work on the couple of FFP scopes I tried it on.
    Thank you...click counting it is then

Quote Originally Posted by Charlts View Post
    Even that makes no difference, it's an FFP scope so the mil spacings are always measuring 1x mil. Rhys's scope has mil turrets too so everything matches up.
    Look up Chairgun Pro. If you choose one of Hawke's new FFPs you'd notice that the Magnification window is grayed out but the Calibration window shows 10X and the Reticule pane shows POIs corresponding to equivalent values in an SFP @ 10 X. The mildots are true at 10X irrespective of the set magnification. With the recent influx of cheap import FFP scopes the calibration of the mildots become important if the user wishes to use ballistic programs to determin the POIs. With a sub 12 air gun it is possible to determine these POIs by setting accurately ranged targets up to 50 or 60 yards and dtermine the POI but if the scope was to be used with a center fire or even a high power rim fire then the use of a ballistic program is essential.

A.G

10 x on the mag ring doesnt mean its ACTUALLY 10 on the milldot.
    Look for Brian Samsons PDF print that lets you print off a paper target to check you true 10x.
    That assumes your printer prints 100% accurate.
    Or draw one out with a ruler ...
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Appreciate the replies gents.

Its a Nikko Diamond 30mm 4-16x44 FFP, MiL

It wont be put to use for ranges more than 50 yards so it will probably not break sweat.

As long as the set up process doesn't change then I will work the rest out.

Thanks for the input.