Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AA S400 reg?

AA S400 reg?

Hi All,

If I wanted to fit a hyper reliable reg in my S400 MPR, is there one ?

If yes, what is that brand and who is the best person to fit it ?

I understand the S400 is a little bit of a fiddle.

Thanks.

I've used Lane regs on both my 400 and HFT500 (which has exactly the same internals as the 400) both carbined from standard lengths. It does take a lot of testing using different combinations of valve spring tension, hammer and hammer spring lengths and strengths to get it bob on on an Air Arms so it can cost you to get it done right by someone else, Lane says on one of his downloads he charges £250 to set an Air Arms up because of all the testing. I made different weight and nose length hammers, had different length/strength springs, spacers etc to mix and match to get it right but now well happy with 120 shot 775fps avg from a carbine 200 bar fill. Heard good things about the Huma reg as well.
    Don't know who does a full,proper set up, know of some "tuners" that are happy with 80 shots from a carbine but they are obviously wasting air somewhere along the line, the MPR should be nearing 200 shots with a regged standard cylinder.

Goes without saying (I hope) that the S400MPR 10m version cylinders can't be regged as the removable cylinder filler is at the regged end.

Mine is the full power FT version. As it happens my daughter has the 10m version, so I know what you mean :-)

Another vote for the lane reg's, Ive fitted quite a few to my S4**'s and been very happy with the results, all still working fine, oldest one is 4 years old..

Chris
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    Mine is the full power FT version. As it happens my daughter has the 10m version, so I know what you mean :-)
    My unregulated 10m MPR is pretty level around 530fps from 170 bar down to 130 which will serve a 60 shot match.
    (I have taken out the adjuster "dust cover".)

Hi All,

If I wanted to fit a hyper reliable reg in my S400 MPR, is there one ?

If yes, what is that brand and who is the best person to fit it ?

I understand the S400 is a little bit of a fiddle.

Thanks.
    I have tried two versions of the Alatros in my S400 ( no breath hole needed ). The 2nd one was better but in the end I took it out. I just put a Huma in my R10 MKii .22 as the original had started playing up and so far very impressed, 7 ft/s max spread over 100 shots and very efficient as I had to remove all the delrin preload that I had machined for the hammer spring to make the gun legal, I got it from XTX and I believe he had set the pressure to 75 bar.

A.G

I like the R10 and understand the MkII is better, so I was interested to read your reg played up in the MkII !!

One guy at our club had an R10 and got rid as he wasn't happy with it's accuracy.

Pity really, lovely looking gun !!

I think I'll just leave the S400 MPR ft alone, it aint really broke, so I'll not try and fix it. I'm struggling to put pellet on pellet indoors on paper at 25 yards, but then it's not a paper punching gun. The best I can get is an 8mm hole over 10 shots. It's a hunting rifle and can hit 30mm kill every time at 50 meters, so I guess that is more than good enough!

May buy a Steyr for paper punching !!

That's a wise decision.

Putting a reg in the rifle will most likely have no effect on accuracy, especially not the MPR which is usually an extremely accurate rifle.

I'd start by giving the barrel a really good clean, then test several different batches of pellets, both Air Arms and JSB's. Most 400's are pretty unfussy, but getting a batch the rifle likes will always help.

I like the R10 and understand the MkII is better, so I was interested to read your reg played up in the MkII !!

One guy at our club had an R10 and got rid as he wasn't happy with it's accuracy.

Pity really, lovely looking gun !!

I think I'll just leave the S400 MPR ft alone, it aint really broke, so I'll not try and fix it. I'm struggling to put pellet on pellet indoors on paper at 25 yards, but then it's not a paper punching gun. The best I can get is an 8mm hole over 10 shots. It's a hunting rifle and can hit 30mm kill every time at 50 meters, so I guess that is more than good enough!

May buy a Steyr for paper punching !!
    The gun was trouble free and pretty accurate for the last two years or so. I ignored to use it for about 3 months and when I put it through chrono it was doing 10.2 ft.lbs for the first 10 shots or so and then it gradually increased in power. I know for a fact that I had set it to 11.5ft.lbs with 15.9 grs JSBs. This went on for months despite my efforts to make the regulator work consistently. In the end I got fed up with it and ditched the OEM regulator for a Huma. Yesterday when I took it to the outdoor range the gun performed very well using JSB Jumbo Express, hitting 70 yards 40mm target quite easily. Before the conversion it was doing well with the 15.9 JSBs and Webley accupels. I have to test them with the gun after a barrel clean up. I believe that the latest R10s have better regulators, I hope so anyway. When I took the OEM regulator out I undestood why this regulator was so prone to having problems. Too many fiddly parts that were stacked on top of each other. The newer regulator designs such as Huma and Lane are self contained units. Having said all that, I think the good old HW 100 is still the king in this respect. Very little goes wrong with its regulator unless messed with.

A.G

The problem with getting a third party regulator work efficiently with S400/500 is more to do with the removal of that bloody cap on top of the grub screw that adjusts the power externally. Unless one knows how to tackle the problem there is every chance that the valve block will be damaged. It is possible to leave it alone ( much safer from a legal point of view ) but then the full benefits of the regulator will not be had. The consistency will be there for sure but achieving the required efficiency to increase the shot count will be not be there.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    The problem with getting a third party regulator work efficiently with S400/500 is more to do with the removal of that bloody cap on top of the grub screw that adjusts the power externally. Unless one knows how to tackle the problem there is every chance that the valve block will be damaged. It is possible to leave it alone ( much safer from a legal point of view ) but then the full benefits of the regulator will not be had. The consistency will be there for sure but achieving the required efficiency to increase the shot count will be not be there.

A.G
    As you say it's a waste of time trying to reg an Air Arms without removing the anti tamper. I used a mill to do my 400 and HFT so it could be drilled spot on and wouldn't attempt it any other way to avoid other damage. Adjusters removed and blanked off so everything is altered by spring and hammer settings so other than completely stripping it down and swopping parts you can't alter the power. The only way power can raise is through temperature and being set at 11.3 fpe it should still stay below, or if the reg fails letting more air through which would show on the gauge.

rgc_swanseaARC is offline He's not the Stig,,,He's the Stig's Welsh cousin
    Have a word with Simon (tweaky)

Best reg I have ever put in my AA's (s410k, MPR,)

Regards,
    Rhys
    Theoben TTR1 .177, Steven B Blue/Grey Laminate Stock, Nutshot Mod, Hawke Sidewinder 10x42 Tac IR
    Daystate Pulsar. 177, Donny FL Sumo Mod, Pard NV008LRF

Quote Originally Posted by bezzer View Post
    As you say it's a waste of time trying to reg an Air Arms without removing the anti tamper. I used a mill to do my 400 and HFT so it could be drilled spot on and wouldn't attempt it any other way to avoid other damage. Adjusters removed and blanked off so everything is altered by spring and hammer settings so other than completely stripping it down and swopping parts you can't alter the power. The only way power can raise is through temperature and being set at 11.3 fpe it should still stay below, or if the reg fails letting more air through which would show on the gauge.
    If the reg fails and lets more air through isn't it likely the power will drop? The hammer isn't used to taking on such resistance......

... and there's a tool that sounds like LEMERD that can be quite useful in sawcutting a screwdriver slot, anywhere you find it necessary. Needs care though.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    If the reg fails and lets more air through isn't it likely the power will drop? The hammer isn't used to taking on such resistance.....
    Depends on what the cylinder pressure was at the time the reg failed as to whether it goes up or down.