Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AA S400 reg?

Quote Originally Posted by rgc_swanseaARC View Post
    Have a word with Simon (tweaky)

Best reg I have ever put in my AA's (s410k, MPR,)

Regards,
    Rhys
    Bet that was a while ago, Simon "Tench" Howarth hasn't been "Tweeky" for some time. He doesn't do AA regs any more, he's a member of our HFT club, I tried but failed but I did get a lot of info/help off him when I first did mine.Top bloke.

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    The problem with getting a third party regulator work efficiently with S400/500 is more to do with the removal of that bloody cap on top of the grub screw that adjusts the power externally. Unless one knows how to tackle the problem ...
    https://youtu.be/3Cc_2iq7ueA

I've had an Altaros reg in my S400 for many, many shots over about 2 years and so far no problems. It maintains a constant pressure in the plenum from 200 bar cylinder pressure down to whatever you have set it for, and that's all you can ask of any regulator. All the other advantages of a regulator come from what you do to the gun having fitted it rather than from the regulator itself. In my opinion, if you are just going to 'drop it in' you are probably wasting your money - with an AA 'S' series gun you would be better spending your time balancing the hammer and valve springs and making sure every part of the firing mechanism is totally grease-free.

Alan

rgc_swanseaARC is offline He's not the Stig,,,He's the Stig's Welsh cousin
    Quote Originally Posted by bezzer View Post
    Bet that was a while ago, Simon "Tench" Howarth hasn't been "Tweeky" for some time. He doesn't do AA regs any more, he's a member of our HFT club, I tried but failed but I did get a lot of info/help off him when I first did mine.Top bloke.
    Yes a while back, but there are ways lol
    As I understand it ratworks are now installing his design of regs... But he's still the man you want to talk to as you say above.
    Theoben TTR1 .177, Steven B Blue/Grey Laminate Stock, Nutshot Mod, Hawke Sidewinder 10x42 Tac IR
    Daystate Pulsar. 177, Donny FL Sumo Mod, Pard NV008LRF

Quote Originally Posted by TenMetrePeter View Post
    Thanks for the heads up mate. I already knew how to get round that problem. I just used a 3mm carbide end mill and sorted it out. What people should know is that having the power adjuster outside of the stock is illegal. One should not be able to get to a power adjuster without removing the stock. Remember the fuss with the old Steyr airrfile. If people choose to remove the cap then they should recap it somehow once the power and the regulator have been adjusted. The reasons I guess are pretty obvious.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by bezzer View Post
    As you say it's a waste of time trying to reg an Air Arms without removing the anti tamper. I used a mill to do my 400 and HFT so it could be drilled spot on and wouldn't attempt it any other way to avoid other damage. Adjusters removed and blanked off so everything is altered by spring and hammer settings so other than completely stripping it down and swopping parts you can't alter the power. The only way power can raise is through temperature and being set at 11.3 fpe it should still stay below, or if the reg fails letting more air through which would show on the gauge.
    That is the way I removed mine. A milling machine and a carbide end mill at very high speed. I wonder if a left handed drill would have been a better choice.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by Archer50 View Post
    I've had an Altaros reg in my S400 for many, many shots over about 2 years and so far no problems. It maintains a constant pressure in the plenum from 200 bar cylinder pressure down to whatever you have set it for, and that's all you can ask of any regulator. All the other advantages of a regulator come from what you do to the gun having fitted it rather than from the regulator itself. In my opinion, if you are just going to 'drop it in' you are probably wasting your money - with an AA 'S' series gun you would be better spending your time balancing the hammer and valve springs and making sure every part of the firing mechanism is totally grease-free.

Alan
    I agree 100%. Robert Lane actually offers custom made bolt and hammer bits to make the best of his regulators for S400.

A.G

I'm glad there's several of us discussing how to remove it. Can't ban us all hopefully.

I'm confident that capping it with a short screw is quite legal provided a regular chrono test is recorded on paper and energy kept around 11 for safety, though a knob in the form of a long cap head screw would be very unwise. Logging chrono readings id an owners responsibility even with anti tamper plugs in.

FWB target pistols have a great big screw in the grip that can take them over 6. Legal design presumably as they are 《F》rated.

My S400 target rifle cant get much over 6 yet it still has anti tamper. Why?? Took mine out because it drifted down to 3 over 2 year period.

I would be interested in seeing the statute regarding requiring removing stocks to alter the muzzle energy.
    Last edited by TenMetrePeter; 21-08-2018 at 01:52 PM.

External powwer adjusters in themselves are not illegal so long as they alter the power within the legal limits set for the gun. Brocock and some others have some sort of gimmicky power adjusters to enable them to reduce the power for shooting vermin within confined spaces by restricting the airflow . The one on S400/500 series of guns can dramatically incerase or decrease the power therefore they are illegal if direct access is provided to alter the power on the go . If the security cap has been removed the adjuster must be recapped after the adjustment for the regulator has been made. Better be safe here as we are dealing with a ' firearm'.
    This might help or not:

https://shooting-the-breeze.com/thre...djusters.5150/

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    External powwer adjusters in themselves are not illegal so long as they alter the power within the legal limits set for the gun. Brocock and some others have some sort of gimmicky power adjusters to enable them to reduce the power for shooting vermin within confined spaces by restricting the airflow . The one on S400/500 series of guns can dramatically incerase or decrease the power therefore they are illegal if direct access is provided to alter the power on the go . If the security cap has been removed the adjuster must be recapped after the adjustment for the regulator has been made. Better be safe here as we are dealing with a ' firearm'.
    This might help or not:

https://shooting-the-breeze.com/thre...djusters.5150/

A.G
    That was 2010 and all opinions, and I'm not sure any subsequent statute or case law has made the position any clearer.
    For my own peace of mind I have ordered from E8ay an M3 security torx button head screw and I'll leave the special torx bit at home. Readily available air arms break head plugs would be nice but they don't seem to have a part number.