Thread: HW99 barrel choking

HW99 barrel choking

After everything bad I read online about cutting the barrel down and losing the choke and everyone say you wouldn't hit a barn door with it . So I cut the barrel down anyway and theaded it for a mod then fitted a TBT tuning kit and WOW it's just amazing . I wish I could put a picture up to show the group size at 35yard

Quote Originally Posted by mad man View Post
    After everything bad I read online about cutting the barrel down and losing the choke and everyone say you wouldn't hit a barn door with it . So I cut the barrel down anyway and theaded it for a mod then fitted a TBT tuning kit and WOW it's just amazing . I wish I could put a picture up to show the group size at 35yard
    I understand that the only barrels that HW choke are the:

Cheers Steve

I’ve been curious about doing this myself to an old 95 barrell. I pushed a pellet down it yesterday, and there’s a definite tight spot in the last inch.

Is there a suggestion that an unchoked barrel is slightly tighter along its length?

Quote Originally Posted by Weasle View Post
    I understand that the only barrels that HW choke are the:

Cheers Steve
    Hw99 barrels are choked

Absolute bunkum that shortening any HW springer barrel will compromise accuracy.
    B.A.S.C. member

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    IIRC Cardrew always advocated removing the last inch or so of barrel to get rid of the rubbish choke.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

The last two
    Answers to this thread suit my plans a treat.

mad man,

There is (was ? as this was some years go) a very celebrated rimfire gunsmith in the USA (cannot remember his name), who slugged all barrels on guns he was working on.

Most had various 'tighter' / 'looser' sections as you went down the barrel.

He would cut at one of the 'tighter' spots, as cutting at a 'looser' spot would give less good accuracy.

He was of the opinion that a 'choke' was not needed on a barrel, providing that the crown was not on a 'loose' section.

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Short Barrels

If the HW barrel is shortend and recrowned properly then it's not a problem. Had a FWB Sport with a 10 inch barrel and still grouped liked it was full length. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    IIRC Cardrew always advocated removing the last inch or so of barrel to get rid of the rubbish choke.
    Bowkett recommended chopping a full length 77 barrel down to get rid of the choke caused by machining for the fore site unit.

I chopped the barrel down on one of my 77s and it seems to have made no effect on its accuracy.

All the best Mick

I have had a couple of home-carbined previously “choked” rifles. Both shot very very well.

As I understand it, the “choke” is an unintentional by-product of pressing (or swaging, or whatever) the front sight grooves in the barrel. Which ought to mean that the HWs without front sights don’t have it - e.g. the 97, 95K, 80K, maybe the 98. None of which has a reputation for poor accuracy. Quite the reverse.

I do like the idea above of finding a tight spot at which to shorten the barrel. Makes sense whether or not the barrel is advertised as having a “choke”.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I have had a couple of home-carbined previously “choked” rifles. Both shot very very well.

As I understand it, the “choke” is an unintentional by-product of pressing (or swaging, or whatever) the front sight grooves in the barrel. Which ought to mean that the HWs without front sights don’t have it - e.g. the 97, 95K, 80K, maybe the 98. None of which has a reputation for poor accuracy. Quite the reverse.

I do like the idea above of finding a tight spot at which to shorten the barrel. Makes sense whether or not the barrel is advertised as having a “choke”.
    No that's an old wives tale, the foresight grooves have no effect at all, I have several HW barrels here ungrooved and grooved and they are all choked, you can buy HW blanks from silco that are choked or unchoked with no grooves in them and if you measure it the choke is in the same place even when there are no grooves, you specify whether you want the choke.

http://silco.co.uk/categories/WEIHRAUCH-BARREL-BLANKS/

I have no idea where this notion crimping a pair of grooves on the outside top of the barrel creates a tight spot but suffice to say it's a nonsense, the barrels are actually choked by design.

IIRC Sandwell Field Sports were cutting down HW99 barrels and fitting a silencer. Along with a few other mods and fettling they were selling them as Imps (.22 only).

Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post
    No that's an old wives tale, the foresight grooves have no effect at all, I have several HW barrels here ungrooved and grooved and they are all choked, you can buy HW blanks from silco that are choked or unchoked with no grooves in them and if you measure it the choke is in the same place even when there are no grooves, you specify whether you want the choke.

http://silco.co.uk/categories/WEIHRAUCH-BARREL-BLANKS/

I have no idea where this notion crimping a pair of grooves on the outside top of the barrel creates a tight spot but suffice to say it's a nonsense, the barrels are actually choked by design.
    Thank you. I did not know that, and had accepted the old wives tale. Tbh I had also wondered how machining the grooves creates a choke...