Thread: Lee Delux Quick trim

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham2 View Post
    You said that- "if you hold a square across the tube you can see light at one end".

Well, you would, as the case body is not parallel, so a square will show that there's a slight angle between the case side and the mouth of the case.
    No I mean across the top of the neck one size could be a few thou higher than the other thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blueheckle View Post
    No I mean across the top of the neck one size could be a few thou higher than the other thanks
    Unless I misunderstand that’s impossible

Which trimmer do you have exactly and how are you using it, something is wrong.
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post

I am using the Lee Delux fast trim and the .223 die, Lee have heard of it hence they changed their dies in April this year to stop the case moving in the die but my die is after April so is new stock as they checked the number

Ah the trimmer isn’t the old one it’s the one that fits 5he top of the press?

I’m surprised you have a die that’s out of spec but Lee have a good reputation for replacing stuff

Sounds like you are sorted
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Ah the trimmer isn’t the old one it’s the one that fits 5he top of the press?

I’m surprised you have a die that’s out of spec but Lee have a good reputation for replacing stuff

Sounds like you are sorted
    Lol no the die I have is one of the new spec ones , I gave up on Lee as it was just question after question lol

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Lol no the die I have is one of the new spec ones , I gave up on Lee as it was just question after question lol
    As you would expect bud, you are suggesting their kit is duff. If that is the case it may be a product fault they may need to flag up.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Graham2 is offline Slightly camp, makes decent chilli, and has a box of tissues and a can of 3 In 1 in the gun room
    Quote Originally Posted by Parabuteo View Post
    As you would expect bud, you are suggesting their kit is duff. If that is the case it may be a product fault they may need to flag up.
    I've trimmed hundreds of cases with one of these and have not had a problem, it's a really neat system.

The case is held in a shell holder in the press in the usual way, so should be presented to the rotary cutter correctly each time and a few turns of the handle soon trim off any excess.
    Not camp, Gary just wishes I were!

I cant see how that would occur either Richard. I am unfamiliar with the trimmer in question, but usually they have a mandrel that holds the case neck central to the cutters (unless its a simple cone cutter).

I normally trim last, after neck sizing has been done, because it fits the mandrel properly and acts as a last check for splits I may have missed.

You would have to present the cutting blades at quite an angle to have it visible, but what I dont get is what Datum was used as the like I say, most rifle cases are slighly tapered to aid feed/extraction. You would need to use a surface plate and some sort of fixed datum to check it.

If Graham is correct & the sides of the case are not parallel then you cannot use a square to check the neck face for true, because the face of the neck will not be at 90* to the case side

If you put the square on the other side of the case the low point would appear to swap sides.

Few if any rifle case walls are parallel or they would not feed/extract very well, particularly if the case was soft and not springing back as well is it might.