Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Delux Quick trim

Lee Delux Quick trim

Hi Guys I have a Lee quick trim delux trimmer and a .223 die the problem is it is cutting the neck at a slight angle I have been in touch with Lee and they cant give me an answer so might be on the look out for another trimmer thanks

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by blueheckle View Post
    Hi Guys I have a Lee quick trim delux trimmer and a .223 die the problem is it is cutting the neck at a slight angle I have been in touch with Lee and they cant give me an answer so might be on the look out for another trimmer thanks
    When you say angle, do you mean across the face of the case neck (so if you sat it in a plate and looked accross the top it would slope, not parallel to the case head)? Or, do you mean there is a chamfer either inside/outside of the case mouth or both?

I use a Forster 3in1 trimmer that is often considered the rolls royce of trimmers (in terms of accurate cutting in any event) which does inside/outside chamfer and length, although you can adjust it slightly to reduce the chamfer.

This is usually desirable. If you cut straight onto a tube you will end up producing burrs inside and outside the tube that will need removing. A slight inner and outer chamfer also aids seating and loading, but a very sharp case mouth will take a right beating when cleaned with STM and will require regular cleaning up.

From Lee's literature.

The Deluxe Quick Trim Case Trimmer quickly and precisely trims your brass to the correct length and simultaneously chamfers the inside and outside of the case mouth.

I'm a maggot in another life you know

Quote Originally Posted by Parabuteo View Post
    When you say angle, do you mean across the face of the case neck (so if you sat it in a plate and looked accross the top it would slope, not parallel to the case head)? Or, do you mean there is a chamfer either inside/outside of the case mouth or both?

I use a Forster 3in1 trimmer that is often considered the rolls royce of trimmers (in terms of accurate cutting in any event) which does inside/outside chamfer and length, although you can adjust it slightly to reduce the chamfer.

This is usually desirable. If you cut straight onto a tube you will end up producing burrs inside and outside the tube that will need removing. A slight inner and outer chamfer also aids seating and loading, but a very sharp case mouth will take a right beating when cleaned with STM and will require regular cleaning up.

From Lee's literature.

The Deluxe Quick Trim Case Trimmer quickly and precisely trims your brass to the correct length and simultaneously chamfers the inside and outside of the case mouth.

it is cutting at a slight angle Ie if you hold a square across the tube you can see light at one end which is giving inconstant readings IE cut to 1.750" can vary from 1.748" to 1.750" at the highest part of the neck thanks for your input

Graham2 is offline Slightly camp, makes decent chilli, and has a box of tissues and a can of 3 In 1 in the gun room
    Seeing as it's a rotary cutter I can't see how it could cut at an angle.

If the cases are being held correctly it can't happen. This is very odd!
    Not camp, Gary just wishes I were!

Quote Originally Posted by Graham2 View Post
    Seeing as it's a rotary cutter I can't see how it could cut at an angle.

If the cases are being held correctly it can't happen. This is very odd!
    the case goes up inside the die , Lee asked for the die num and said it was the newer one that was tighter to prevent the case from turning , which it doesnt as I marked the case to check , but as I said when you rotate the case in the caliper jaws reading changes thanks PS I am going to take out the chamfer tools and see what happens

Graham2 is offline Slightly camp, makes decent chilli, and has a box of tissues and a can of 3 In 1 in the gun room
    You do know that 223 cases are are tapered, don't you?

You do know that 223 cases are are tapered, don't you?
    what do you mean ?

what do you mean ?
    You said that- "if you hold a square across the tube you can see light at one end".

Well, you would, as the case body is not parallel, so a square will show that there's a slight angle between the case side and the mouth of the case.

You said that- "if you hold a square across the tube you can see light at one end".

Well, you would, as the case body is not parallel, so a square will show that there's a slight angle between the case side and the mouth of the case.
    No I mean across the top of the neck one size could be a few thou higher than the other thanks

No I mean across the top of the neck one size could be a few thou higher than the other thanks
    Unless I misunderstand that’s impossible

Which trimmer do you have exactly and how are you using it, something is wrong.
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    Unless I misunderstand that’s impossible

Which trimmer do you have exactly and how are you using it, something is wrong.
    I am using the Lee Delux fast trim and the .223 die, Lee have heard of it hence they changed their dies in April this year to stop the case moving in the die but my die is after April so is new stock as they checked the number

Ah the trimmer isn’t the old one it’s the one that fits 5he top of the press?

I’m surprised you have a die that’s out of spec but Lee have a good reputation for replacing stuff

Sounds like you are sorted
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    Ah the trimmer isn’t the old one it’s the one that fits 5he top of the press?

I’m surprised you have a die that’s out of spec but Lee have a good reputation for replacing stuff

Sounds like you are sorted
    Lol no the die I have is one of the new spec ones , I gave up on Lee as it was just question after question lol

If Graham is correct & the sides of the case are not parallel then you cannot use a square to check the neck face for true, because the face of the neck will not be at 90* to the case side

If you put the square on the other side of the case the low point would appear to swap sides.

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Few if any rifle case walls are parallel or they would not feed/extract very well, particularly if the case was soft and not springing back as well is it might.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know