Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: which sidelever should i choose for a bullpup project?

which sidelever should i choose for a bullpup project?

Just musing on a possible project after seeing a pic (on here quite some time ago... last year...? - but can't find it now!!!) of a 'barebones' bullpup. I think that's the term to use: less wood, more metal, slimmed-down-to-a-minimum sort of look.

I think it appeared in a post either started by (or contributed from) a man with tinny buttocks, or possibly even a fellow who turns in sheds ?

Anyway, having never owned a sidelever - any suggestions or opinions on which should i choose to play around with? candidates recently spotted and available at realistic prices are:

S1 ASI Super Match
    Webley Tracker
    Air Arms Sidelever

cheers
    Richard

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Diana 52 in .22. Build it, get bored and sell it to me so I can wind it up to 11!! (Metaphorically, I realise it would probably be running at 11 anyway...)
    God rest ye jelly mental men

D48/52 would be nice. But big and heavy.

I think most folk on here would recommend the AA/Jackal over the Tracker/Viscount/Osprey. They have nicer shooting manners, better German barrels, and are more accurate.

On the other hand, you could get an average Tracker cheaper than an AA...

There's plenty of things I change on the Osprey, but it's not the barrel - that's it's best feature. We were shooting mine at the weekend at sixty yards with diopters and it was doing quite nicely.

Having said that, if you want the most accurate sidelever with the best trigger, the Hammerli is a strong contender.

Quote Originally Posted by bill57 View Post
    There's plenty of things I change on the Osprey, but it's not the barrel - that's it's best feature. We were shooting mine at the weekend at sixty yards with diopters and it was doing quite nicely.

Having said that, if you want the most accurate sidelever with the best trigger, the Hammerli is a strong contender.
    Yeah, but Hammerlis are quite rare and special. I wouldn’t be happy seeing one converted to a bull pup unless it could be converted back to completely original condition. (And the early ones have safety issues.)

I think we’ll have to politely disagree on the merits of the Webleys vs the NSP rifles. Not that the Webleys are bad, but most prefer the AA/Jackal. I have had both.

Bullpup

Go for the Tracker. Still plenty about and a nice compact rifle already to do a modification on. Venom did one years ago as a project. Mach 1.5

Geezer, don't worry, I'm used to rather pitying looks when I express my preferences. Can change a bit when the shootin' starts though. Chieffool, if I was bullpupping I'd probably choose the Tracker; it's short without cutting and the new grip location might have some potential in adding leverage to improve the trigger.

Ginb used to do a conversion kit for the Diana 52 :-

image.jpeg

The 52 is the obvious choice for a bullpup as the big problem with starting off with a tap loader is that the tap would end up underneath the scope.

All the best Mick

I forgot about that. I once put a long Tasco on an Osprey, the tap was accessible (just) but the tap lever fouled the scope. That Ginb is the bullpuppers dream. But as with every gun from sidelever to SA80, I'm a leftie so hate bullpups with a passion.

Geezer, don't worry, I'm used to rather pitying looks when I express my preferences. Can change a bit when the shootin' starts though. Chieffool, if I was bullpupping I'd probably choose the Tracker; it's short without cutting and the new grip location might have some potential in adding leverage to improve the trigger.

You do have a point.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post

image.jpeg

The 52 is the obvious choice for a bullpup as the big problem with starting off with a tap loader is that the tap would end up underneath the scope.

All the best Mick
    Good point. Or use something like a Simmons 1.5-5x20? Or shorten the tap lever?

That Ginb stock is quite tasty, though I officially hate bullpups. Apart from the Venom bullpup Innova and the early 90s Sportsmatch one (Scimitar?), because they are cool. And in the firearms arena, the IWI Micro-Tavor.

Thumbs up

craftsman vit was on about making a bullpup kit for the 48/52 diana dont think he made any though
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

i have a diana 52 ripe for converting but finding time to make a stock is only the start metal work tools/skills i'm lacking
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post

image.jpeg

All the best Mick
    Ooooooooooooo..... shiny
    (i think i just dribbled a little)

Definitely a contender... but still looking just in case.
    And, infuriatingly, still not the one i saw in a previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Or shorten the tap lever?
    Much as I like them, the loading tap/lever is a pretty weak spot on Webleys - the lever includes the stop that (theoretically) aligns the loading port with the barrel when closed. Mucking about with them doesn't usually yield good results.

The Hammerli has a much better port with no lever, just a round knob, and a fairly unobtrusive sidelever - but then again they're not common, and how could you do such a thing to it?

The Hammerli has a much better port with no lever, just a round knob, and a fairly unobtrusive sidelever - but then again they're not common, and how could you do such a thing to it?
    Completely agreed.

Chinese B-45?

Oh no, they are horrid.