Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: which sidelever should i choose for a bullpup project?

FOUND ONE... and its a BREAK BARREL?!

Not what i was expecting. Somehow I've always thought a bullpup springer was most likely to be made from a sidelever donor.
    And here gentleman, with just the sort of 'look' i was searching for, is a Break Barrel:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/yell...042538bf5af11b

But what is it? I mean the donor rifle?
    I think the handgrip is mounted onto a tube assembly that carries (and hides) the linkage straight back to where the original trigger sits. Actually...
    ...the more i look at this the 'simpler' this approach seems to become. Genius.

Tinny, have you seen this before? I'm sure i've seen this in a post on the forum with you as part of it?

Quote Originally Posted by chieffool View Post

But what is it? I mean the donor rifle?

The answer's in the link you gave --- it's based on an R1 which is a HW80.

Tinny, have you seen this before? I'm sure i've seen this in a post on the forum with you as part of it?
    Ah, you could be thinking of TonyL's Keystock Predator bullpup which is based on a HW80.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Another vote for the 52 and they are not heavy, its a myth that Diana's are heavy

http://s2.picofile.com/file/72587694..._000056640.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    The answer's in the link you gave --- it's based on an R1 which is a HW80.
    I actually didn't know the 'R1' was a term for the HW80. R1 to me (from my background) equates to FN/FAL from South Africa.

Really like this concept. And i'm assuming HW80 (never shot one yet as mostly Air Arms so far) means nice donor, and smooth and easy to cock in shortened bullpup form?

so, if i'm considering an HW 'break barrel' as the route to go,
    which should it be: 35 or 80 (or something else)?

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Another vote for the 52 and they are not heavy, its a myth that Diana's are heavy

I meant compared to the Tracker or AA, the 48/52 is around a pound heavier, though, as you indicate, still five or six ounces lighter than e.g. an HW80.

The 48/52 does, however, feel a bit heavier than it actually is, which is I think a function of its balance and an illusion caused by the “meaty” fore end.

That one you linked to is quite impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I meant compared to the Tracker or AA, the 48/52 is around a pound heavier, though, as you indicate, still five or six ounces lighter than e.g. an HW80.

The 48/52 does, however, feel a bit heavier than it actually is, which is I think a function of its balance and an illusion caused by the “meaty” fore end.

That one you linked to is quite impressive.

wow.
    That is a very good looking conversion.
    The sight line seems very high, so cant quite envisage how it sits. But anything produced with that much detail and finish must have addressed this correctly.

I'd sort of decided on open sights.... possibly for 'barn work' to give good field of view...
    ...but that really does look well thought out.

Is it a 'one-off'? Would love to get some more detail from the owner or maker

Who did the conversion on that?

wow.
    That is a very good looking conversion.
    The sight line seems very high, so cant quite envisage how it sits. But anything produced with that much detail and finish must have addressed this correctly.

I'd sort of decided on open sights.... possibly for 'barn work' to give good field of view...
    ...but that really does look well thought out.

Is it a 'one-off'? Would love to get some more detail from the owner or maker
    It certainly does look very nice in my view but, with you mentioning potential use for barn work, that very high sight line may cause an issue? Maybe better to consider a "semi bull-pup" layout, like The Predator? That new Webley PCP semi also seems to be getting plenty of positive comments. And even the semi layout will bring the weight back on the 52.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    It certainly does look very nice in my view but, with you mentioning potential use for barn work, that very high sight line may cause an issue? Maybe better to consider a "semi bull-pup" layout, like The Predator? That new Webley PCP semi also seems to be getting plenty of positive comments. And even the semi layout will bring the weight back on the 52.
    I agree. I dislike bullpups (did i mention that already? ) but the semi-bullpup action seems quite attractive.

High sight lines are fine at range - and in airguns can flatten the apparent trajectory (by which I mean the trajectory is actually the same, but the sweet spot requiring minimal hold over/under coincides with those distances, if that makes sense, albeit falling off quicker as the range progresses) at the crucial 25-35 metre hunting ranges. But at under 15 metres you will find your shots fall 40-50mm below point of aim if zeroed for a “normal” range.

For shorter-range barn/farmyard work, it’s actually hard to beat a short conventionally-stocked rifle. If I was doing that stuff these days, I’d be reaching for my carbined Webley Xocet or BSF B55.

52 has a barrel sleeve that could be removed to shed some weight, old T01 units have a metal foresight assembly as well, not sure about the newer ones. All those items will have been designed with FAC power in mind and placed to prevent muzzle flip, with our power levels and a sleeve down to 22mm I seriously doubt they are in any way necessary though they will have a dampening effect on recoil.

Another contender, albeit one that's not particularly efficient, would be the Sterling HR81 with a compression tube and trigger modified to be shot "backwards" (would need customised sears which would be difficult to say the least as they are not small order) with a breech and barrel off the likes of a Crosman facing back down the way. Not easy by any means but do-able with the right tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelking View Post
    Another contender, albeit one that's not particularly efficient, would be the Sterling HR81 with a compression tube and trigger modified to be shot "backwards" (would need customised sears which would be difficult to say the least as they are not small order) with a breech and barrel off the likes of a Crosman facing back down the way. Not easy by any means but do-able with the right tools.
    Don't laugh. But I've actually got an HR81 which i bought new when they were introduced. Seduced by the concept of a 'bolt action'. Should have kept my Feinwerkbau 127 instead. Don't think I will be expending effort in trying to reinvent the HR81 though. It is a marmite gun, and even i'm not sure i like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I agree. I dislike bullpups (did i mention that already? ) but the semi-bullpup action seems quite attractive.

High sight lines are fine at range - and in airguns can flatten the apparent trajectory (by which I mean the trajectory is actually the same, but the sweet spot requiring minimal hold over/under coincides with those distances, if that makes sense, albeit falling off quicker as the range progresses) at the crucial 25-35 metre hunting ranges. But at under 15 metres you will find your shots fall 40-50mm below point of aim if zeroed for a “normal” range.

For shorter-range barn/farmyard work, it’s actually hard to beat a short conventionally-stocked rifle. If I was doing that stuff these days, I’d be reaching for my carbined Webley Xocet or BSF B55.
    Agreed.

And, these days, we're even more spoilt for choice with fine, lightweight rifles offering full performance, fine accuracy and very refined shooting characteristics, like the HW99 and Walther Terrus (and its spin-offs).

When I hunted I'd occasionally take the Predator, but more often than not it was my Venom tuned 80 that accompanied me. Standard Mark 1 stock with barrel shortened by Venom and Slimtech silencer. Hardly any less wieldy and the conventional "low" profile feeling more stable and natural.

The Predator was conceived in the early 80s when it was generally thought that many guns wouldn't easily make "full power". The use of the 80 action made this a non-issue and bringing the action back in the stock made for a shorter rifle for easier manoeuvreability in the woods for squirrel, pigeon and corvid shooting, as the designer was a gamekeeper.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I have an AA dumpy, stockless, sightless sidelever available for swaps...