Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Break Barrel should i choose for a Bullpup Project?

Which Break Barrel should i choose for a Bullpup Project?

So - i was originally thinking of a sidelever. And have had some great suggestions.

Then, I spotted this:

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-project/page2

What a little beauty. Relatively simple too.

You'll see from the tailend of this other thread, I'm already asking opinions on HW35 vs HW80 as possible donors.
    What do you think?
    Any other break barrel suggestions?

I've seen a number of underlever projects, and though beautiful - they all seem to end up a bit too 'woody'. I'm hankering after something that looks a little more stripped down, more barebones, more metal.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Richard

Which one ?

A HW90 would be my first chose and after that any long break barrel with an articulated cocking link to give more trigger
    clearance .

If you look at that 80 I think the trigger guard is split to accommodate the solid cocking link .

A Remington Express or similar clone would work .

I have had the pleasure of shooting TonyL's Kestock Predator ,it's based on the Hw80 and is absolutely fantastic to look at and shoot . I would have it in a heartbeat but it's a keeper for sure.
    Les..

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    articulated cocking link makes a lot of sense - Hw99S is an obvious choice for 12 FP
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    I have had the pleasure of shooting TonyL's Kestock Predator ,it's based on the Hw80 and is absolutely fantastic to look at and shoot . I would have it in a heartbeat but it's a keeper for sure.
    Les..
    Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    articulated cocking link makes a lot of sense - Hw99S is an obvious choice for 12 FP
    Cheers Les.

And yes, JB, if I were to contemplate doing a bullpup (or semi-bullpup) I'd consider the 99 to be the ideal platform with the articulated cocking lever, excellent firing manners and already fairly compact dimensions.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I clicked on the link in your link, & that is very similar to a 77 bullpup that i have.

Quote Originally Posted by robthedog View Post
    I clicked on the link in your link, & that is very similar to a 77 bullpup that i have.
    Any pics? I have a b&m bullpup tx200sr myself.

The 99 seems like a good idea but the front stock screw could prove to be a problem. The 77 80 and 97 have two front stock screws on the sides of the airrifles. Hth.

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    Any pics? I have a b&m bullpup tx200sr myself.
    No idea how to post on the forum, send me you mobile number & i will send some to you

Quote Originally Posted by chieffool View Post
    I'm already asking opinions on HW35 vs HW80 as possible donors.
    What do you think?
    Any other break barrel suggestions?

Any ideas gratefully received.

Richard
    Hi Richard

For build simplicity I'd be looking at the HW35 or old School HW50 as both of these guns have articulated cocking links and screw in steel back blocks,

The articulated cocking link means you can mount a remote trigger unit closer to the cylinder than you could with a one piece cocking link.

The screw in back block would also make mounting a stock easier as it would offer more choices in fixings, you could either drill and tap the back block or simply Weld to it.

Another advantage of these guns is the 26mm long transfer port as this also gives you 26mm of steel in front of the cylinder in order to mount a scope rail to.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by robthedog View Post
    No idea how to post on the forum, send me you mobile number & i will send some to you
    can i see a couple too? I can PM my mobile if suitable
    R

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Hi Richard

For build simplicity I'd be looking at the HW35 or old School HW50 as both of these guns have articulated cocking links and screw in steel back blocks,

The articulated cocking link means you can mount a remote trigger unit closer to the cylinder than you could with a one piece cocking link.

The screw in back block would also make mounting a stock easier as it would offer more choices in fixings, you could either drill and tap the back block or simply Weld to it.

Another advantage of these guns is the 26mm long transfer port as this also gives you 26mm of steel in front of the cylinder in order to mount a scope rail to.
    Mmmmm.... Guys - all amazingly good stuff.

I can see lots of merit in the 99 as a platform but waisted's comment on the front screw makes me wonder. As long as i can successfully incorporate the front screw fixing point into the bullpup layout, this may be my ideal donor.

Otherwise, based on the recommendations so far its either a 35 or 50.

I want good manners, and ultimately a 'stripped look'.... and all of this sounds like the correct donor is one of the three above. I hope.

And I need to look at a 99, a 35 and a 50 to compare and shoot. There is a local gunroom with some on tap to try out and look. It seems 'linkage' and the way it travels through the cocking cycle is going to be a main factor, as well as just how the whole 'action' is secured to the stock.

Then, after debate and research to identify the correct donor, i think the next KEMPTON is going to be my likely shopping mall. Hopefully there's a gun in immaculate condition with no stock!

- - - - - -

Any more thoughts - please keep them coming. Hopefully i'll get to look at each of the above by the end of the week.

BARREL LENGTH for 35, 50, and 99?

QUESTION: can I shorten barrels without compromising performance?

I know that is probably a daft question as all of these guns have an evolved barrel length that suits them (presumably).
    But any ideas or general guidelines from anyone out there who has shortened any of these barrels would be great

Actually... IF a barrel length has been arrived at through evolved design to achieve the manufacturers perceived level of performance, what are the reasons for making them shorter? I can only think of:
    • design/aesthetics?
    • easier to use in 'tighter'spaces?

Quote Originally Posted by Waisted View Post
    The 99 seems like a good idea but the front stock screw could prove to be a problem. The 77 80 and 97 have two front stock screws on the sides of the airrifles. Hth.
    Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Hi Richard

The Predator, although based on a HW80 action, uses an articulated cocking link and a 99/50/35 style front stock fixing "boss".
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    The Predator, although based on a HW80 action, uses an articulated cocking link and a 99/50/35 style front stock fixing "boss".
    That sounds like a very good solution. I think Kempton is going to be my next stop.

Any suggestions on how much I can reduce a barrel for any of these donors for 'barn' shooting? I'm thinking open sights....