Thread: webley junior mk2

webley junior mk2

Hi all I need help !!! I have an old Webley that I have personally owned since I was about 10 years old, unfortunately the sear has broken in half! I have no idea how but it has. So I am looking for a sear and sear spring, the original is worn and lost its shape, the rest of the pistol is ok and I have many happy memories of myself and my Dad shooting various objects in the garage and out in the fields so it's only write it should be back in working order. I have tried the usual parts places on the web but no one has anything at this time.

Other than buying one has anyone ever made one? I have the ability, I have tool steel that can be hardened and good files to shape the part but how hard does it have to be? how much tempering will it need? as I say making it not a problem, making it correctly however is ie the correct material, hardness and temper or is it spring steel? I just don't know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if anyone has a sear with spring they want to sell that would be fantastic.

Thanks Russ
    Guns and boats .... works for me

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Howard View Post
    Hi all I need help !!! I have an old Webley that I have personally owned since I was about 10 years old, unfortunately the sear has broken in half! I have no idea how but it has. So I am looking for a sear and sear spring, the original is worn and lost its shape, the rest of the pistol is ok and I have many happy memories of myself and my Dad shooting various objects in the garage and out in the fields so it's only write it should be back in working order. I have tried the usual parts places on the web but no one has anything at this time.

Other than buying one has anyone ever made one? I have the ability, I have tool steel that can be hardened and good files to shape the part but how hard does it have to be? how much tempering will it need? as I say making it not a problem, making it correctly however is ie the correct material, hardness and temper or is it spring steel? I just don't know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if anyone has a sear with spring they want to sell that would be fantastic.

Thanks Russ
    You can test hardness of the original with a set of hardness test files, or alternativeny a Rockwell hardness tester. Some are not too spendy' and if you have a local engineering workshop - they should be able to test it for you for the price of a pint or two. Thereafter you will be able to control the hardness of your newly made part by controlling quench and tempering.

ccdjg is online now Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    In my experience it makes little difference (at least in the case of pistols with their relatively weak springs) if a sear is hardened or not, if it is tool steel. The rubbing action on the sear is not great, and the piston ridge that holds the sear gets an equal amount of rubbing, and being made of mild steel will take the brunt of the wear anyway. It is more risky if the sear is over hardened, as it could shear. If you wanted to harden it at all, temper it to near soft as for a spring.

I have some new J7 sears available @£12 posted, but can't find any sear springs at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    I have some new J7 sears available @£12 posted, but can't find any sear springs at the moment.
    pm sent, in addition, do you know the original size of said spring?
    Guns and boats .... works for me

In response to someone else who asked, the sear S7 is the same for both series 2 and Mk.2 Juniors.

The sear spring J24 illustrated in the parts list appears similar in size to the sliding top catch spring J25, which measures 15/32 x 7/64 (12mm x 3mm)