Thread: I can see why the Webley Mark3 vs the Airsporter debate was never resolved

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Sticking that underlever beneath the barrel will do that...
    Pro sport vs TX200 anyone ?
    Let’s not go there?

But, in the words of Scotty from Star Trek - “ye cannae change the laws of physics”.

I found the answer was to own both and appreciate their individual attributes rather than directly comparing them. For me, the rear sight on the Mk1 Airsporter is better than the Mk2, but a nice peep sight fitted to either model would no doubt assist my ageing eyes.

If I was forced to choose between the two, I would go for the Airsporter partly for its more elegant appearance, but perhaps more importantly because it was an original British design rather than a copy of the pre-war German Diana 45.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    I found the answer was to own both and appreciate their individual attributes rather than directly comparing them. For me, the rear sight on the Mk1 Airsporter is better than the Mk2, but a nice peep sight fitted to either model would no doubt assist my ageing eyes.

If I was forced to choose between the two, I would go for the Airsporter partly for its more elegant appearance, but perhaps more importantly because it was an original British design rather than a copy of the pre-war German Diana 45.

Brian
    I can’t disagree with your thoughts. But the bluing and precision of the Webley make it a tie for me. Own both can love each pretty equally. Do at 66 appreciate the cocking ease of the Airsporter.

In the late 60's when I started to buy air rifles as a teenager, I remember drooling over the Webley Mk3 and BSA Airsporters that were on display in a few Glasgow Gunshops, about 20 miles from where I lived. None of our local gun/sports shops had them I recall... Various Milbro Diana's (manufactured about 30 miles away) and BSA Meteors and Webley Falcons were more typically available.
    In 1969 I believe the Webley Mk3 was around £19-10-00 and the Airsporter was about ten bob (50p) cheaper. Sounds really cheap nowadays but the average weekly wage was about £20.. I was earning about £11 a week after working in a bank for two years.

I bought my first Webley Mk3 in 1971 (I think) secondhand where I part exchanged an almost new Hy-score pistol ..although I liked the Mk3, I subsequently regretted parting with the Hy-score.
    A couple of years later I sold it but I bought two others which I still have and I bought my first almost new Airsporter in 1976, I think. Now this was a Mk4 model Airsporter and the plastic sights and trigger and bland beech stock and didn't shoot particularly great... Probably similar power to the Webleys but it didn't instill the 'pride of ownership' that the Webley induced.

In more recent years I've bought an immaculate version of a Mk2 Airsporter and a Webley Mk3 , both .22, and there's little to choose aesthetically. However my favourite shooting guns out of the two marques are both early 50's (I presume) models..a restored .177 Mk3,an early grooved forestock model, which has been modified with an attached rubber buttpad and an epoxy fitted modern scope rail with a really nice Sabre 2-7x32 scope which works a treat. It also has a swivelling (Supertarget) PH15 Diopter sight fitted and although the metalwork has been painted, it is exceptionally well done, even if the purists might be horrified!
    It shoots really well.. I'm regularly hitting 15mms spinners out to 30 odd yards.
    The Airsporter that shoots really well is an unrestored Mk1 ... Nice patina and an old manky dented stock but it's got a great seal (similar to the Webley, when you de-cock it against the closed loading tap) and
    it fires with a nice 'thwock'.

I've always compared the Webley Mk3 against the Mk1 and 2 Airsporters as a 1950's Bentley to a similar aged Mk2 Jaguar. The Bentley has more gravitas and superior build quality whereas the Airsporter is more sleek and stylish.
    If the comparison was made between motorcycles from the same era the Webley would be a Norton Dominator 650SS and the Airsporter would be a Triumph Bonneville.

And so the preferences rage on and I suppose will remain inconclusive as to which is better. My preference probably 'nudges' towards the Webley due to its substantiality, but I have to admit the Airsporter is one bonnie rifle and probably possesses the best ever name that an air rifle can have.

When you consider that you can generally pick up a reasonably nice example of each for about £150, then in comparison to secondhand late 1970's prices of about £25-£30 then they are relatively cheap in today's financial climate/average wage etc.
    Having said that I recall being in Drapers shop in Nottingham 4 years ago and there were a load of of Mk3s and Airsporters on display with very few under £400 although I suppose they were not the best place for value..the service wasn't all that impressive either.

Webley Mk3 versus BSA Mk1 and 2 Airsporter...
    You pays your money and you take your choice. Get both if you can manage it... You don't need to justify it!��
    Last edited by VALE BOY; 24-08-2018 at 08:28 PM.

Fabulous story! Thnx for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Fabulous story! Thnx for sharing
    I agree, and “I paid my money”and bought both, only logical conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post

Brian
    Was necessity the mother of invention, thought I read Webley factories were not damaged during the war but BSA lost it old Airgun tooling?
    Last edited by 45flint; 25-08-2018 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    What necessity the mother of invention, thought I read Webley factories were not damaged during the war but BSA lost it old Airgun tooling?
    As far as I'm aware both Webley and BSA were both in a position to recommence air gun production almost immediately following the end of the war.

Webley, BSA and Milbro were all interested in acquiring the Diana facilities and tooling as part of the reparation process, but both BSA and Webley were outbid by Milbro with the Webley bid of £10,000 being declined. Milbro were able to start production very quickly as they had the original Diana tooling, but opted to only produce the cheaper models leaving Webley to start production of the MK3 (Diana Mod 45) using their own tooling in 1947. Apparently, Webley had decided to copy the Diana design as early as 1944 as their post war development of their Mk2 Service replacement was in its very early stages which would probably have made more sense commercially. The bit I find a bit strange is why Webley decided to reposition the loading tap from the left hand side of the frame as on the Diana Mod 45, to the right hand side which I wouldn't have thought suited the majority of mainly right handed shooters.

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 25-08-2018 at 04:44 PM.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    A very fair and unbiased assessment Flint, almost along the lines of my own some years back.
    I boiled it down to the BSA feeling and handling like a true sporting rifle, the Webley, a very well engineered "shooting contraption" !
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    I boiled it down to the BSA feeling and handling like a true sporting rifle, the Webley, a very well engineered "shooting contraption" !
    this is the essence of their differences and concurs with my perception! If the Webley is tuned (lighter spring) the gap becomes smaller. The Airsporter seems to set the standard out of the box, mostly in cocking and handling (the early stock and balance are both excellent). Material wise and engineering both excel.