Thread: Webley Mark 2 Service Help

Webley Mark 2 Service Help

I just bought a nice mark 2 service rifle. I and trying to give it a strip down to make sure everything is ok, I do this with all air rifles I buy, but I am struggling to get the breech bolt off. Do these just screw on and off or am i missing something? Its a third series btw.
    Last edited by Huttles94; 23-08-2018 at 12:28 PM.

From memory the "Bolt Handle" has a pin locking it in place to stop it coming undone and locate it at the right angle. I will check my notes to confirm this (or otherwise) when I get the chance, later today with any luck.

Vic Thompson.

Quote Originally Posted by Huttles94 View Post
    I just bought a nice mark 2 service rifle. I and trying to give it a strip down to make sure everything is ok, I do this with all air rifles I buy, but I am struggling to get the bolt off. Do these just screw on and off or am i missing something? Its a third series btw.
    Hi, Huttles, have a look at pages 221 & 222 in the Hiller bible, it shows a blind drilled hole [no 47 drill !] with a peg driven in on assembly. So you would have to drill this out & fit a over sized pin to reassemble. hope this helps regards Al.

or leave it in place all together!! it is not broken is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    or leave it in place all together!! it is not broken is it?
    Its not, but the breech does not sit flush with the back of the rifle. So when the barrel is attached, the bolt does not sit down on the cylinder like it should do. Just wondering if it is easy to take off.

That doesn't matter, the breech bolt's purpose is merely too lock the two faces together forming an air tight seal.

The fact it isn't touching the cylinder suggests the leather seal has plenty of wear left.

A .25 example I owned was just the same, in that the breech bolt and cylinder were a ways of touching.
    Last edited by piggy589; 24-08-2018 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    That doen't matter, the breech bolt's purpose is merely too lock the two faces together forming an air tight seal.

The fact it isn't touching the cylinder suggests the leather seal has plenty of wear left.

A .25 example I owned was just the same, in that the breech bolt and cylinder were a ways of touching.
    Ahh ok then. Ill leave it then, No point messing about if it wont improve anything. And I certainty dont want to break anything!

Cheers

Indeed good news, new seal I reckon! the combination barrel & action should be tight when closed however (no rattle)? if that is the case you are good to go. leave it as is.

God news methinks 'cos lots of Mklls have damage to the cylinder due to ball end fouling when trying to get a seal.
    This may be of interest

If ever the ball end lever of the breech lock gets anywhere near the cylinder, it's normally time for a new breech seal.
    I too have seen a few Service rifles with indentations on the cylinder caused by the ball end.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    If ever the ball end lever of the breech lock gets anywhere near the cylinder, it's normally time for a new breech seal.
    I too have seen a few Service rifles with indentations on the cylinder caused by the ball end.
    Ahh right, I thought that is how they are supposed to be (its my first time owning a mk 2 service). Right well it shoots well, diesels a bit but nothing major. Ill have to get my chrono out sometime.

Does anyone know how to date these rifles?

The serial number is S 10995

Cheers

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Ahh right, I thought that is how they are supposed to be (its my first time owning a mk 2 service). Right well it shoots well, diesels a bit but nothing major. Ill have to get my chrono out sometime.

Cheers
    Hi according to Chris Thrales excellent book on Webley rifles yours is just on the change over dates of the series 3-4 date about 1936. you can get a copy of this book on line *ba*

Cheers
    The Service Mk.11 was designed and built to diesel,

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    This may be of interest
    ahh, the two piece spring variant
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    ahh, the two piece spring variant

A common variation methinks