Thread: The Diana 100 SSP Mk1 & Mk2

The Diana 100 SSP Mk1 & Mk2

Made in small numbers between 1989 – 1998 this was a side lever bolt action 10m match ssp.
    I am not sure when the MK2 version was introduced but I have seen MK2 serial numbers 4805,4875 and 5490. The Mk1 serial numbers I have seen are 1826, 2559B, 3277.
    I am guessing that the change took place between 3277 and 4805. Of course with these numbers you can guess that Diana used this sequence on other models in it’s range. Have no idea why the ‘B’ is included in the serial number on the rifle shown.

It’s often stated that the rifle is overly complicated and can suffer with problems with the cocking linkage. Yes it is complicated compared to say a Walther LG210 or a FWB 601 and I would say not a rifle for the mechanically un sympathetic.

The problem is with the cocking linkage in that it uses double cogs and a toothed ratchet and once it has been started on the cocking stroke, it must be completed. If you try and close it half way through the stroke, you will, if you use force strip the teeth off the cogs and that’s game over. Use it as intended and keep it greased and it works fine. The owners manual makes specific reference to this.

I have in my collection both examples and have compared them to see what difference there are.

1. Mk2 has a updated cocking handle that uses a catch much like a FWB 600 series. On the MK1 there is a blued sleeve over the stainless compression lever that must be pulled back about 6mm to release the lever. Now if you brace the butt in your groin area and hold the rifle in your left hand and operate the cocking lever with your right the sliding sleeve falls easily to hand and is a joy to use.
    2. The stock on the Mk2 has no cut out for the sleeve of the Mk1 cylinder.
    A Mk2 action will fit a Mk1 stock, but not the other way round without modification.

3. The Mk2 rear sight unit uses a larger light receptor. Both are stamped ‘100’
    4. The Mk2 has a shorter length barrel shroud making the overall length shorter by 38mm. The stocks and actions are the same size.
    5. The Mk2 weighs 5.1kg compared to the MK1 at 4.8kg for comparison I weighed my Arnie 2002 with walnut stock and that came in at 4.8kg
    6. The Mk2 uses a slightly modified cocking linkage albeit that it functions exactly the same.
    7. On both stocks the plastic cover on the base of the grips hides the strengthener that has been inserted.

The design of the loading bolt does mean that a scope or other sighting device can be added without recourse to unusual mounting blocks.

An unusual and delightful 10m ssp match rifle that can hold its own against the usual suspects from Walther,FWB, Anschutz and has a trigger that is better than the competition when properly adjusted. There was also a left handed stock option,but I have never seen a left handed action. A set of sight riser blocks was also offered as an accessory.

Album pics: https://flic.kr/s/aHskGC4bYo

[IMG]DSC01734 by Mark Davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Very nice mark.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

You have too much good shit.
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Thanks for that, Mark. Very interesting and lovely pics.

For some reason I thought the Mk2 had some sort of reinforcement around the cogs so the linkage wouldn't be damaged if misused, but I think I extrapolated this from a comment someone made, rather than actually saw any evidence, and I've not owned one of these rifles.

Do I see a toothed plate missing on one of those pics?

I think I heard, also anecdotally, that the problem with disassembling the trigger is that the cassette holding the parts has a habit of springing open and all the trigger parts spilling out. Not sure if this is true though.

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Thanks for that, Mark. Very interesting and lovely pics.

For some reason I thought the Mk2 had some sort of reinforcement around the cogs so the linkage wouldn't be damaged if misused, but I think I extrapolated this from a comment someone made, rather than actually saw any evidence, and I've not owned one of these rifles. The differences are very minor,I have seen a stripped cog on a Mk2 that was done by a new owner within a few days of owning the rifle.

Do I see a toothed plate missing on one of those pics? Nope there is only 1 fitted to the top section the lower cog operates the pawl

I think I heard, also anecdotally, that the problem with disassembling the trigger is that the cassette holding the parts has a habit of springing open and all the trigger parts spilling out. Not sure if this is true though. 'I have never opened one up, as all the ones I have handled worked just fine' I hope to keep it that way

If I get an opportunity I will chrono them

Diana 100

Nice duo of Dianas there Mark.
    I use to have a MkII from new. Had a superb trigger.
    The barrel rotates axially and you can set the cant of the front sight as you please.
    Mine did around 580 fps with JSB Diabolo Match with very consistent single figure Di Vel readings.
    If/when you strip it, make sure you use the correct piston lubricant especially with the stainless steel cylinder version.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Made in small numbers between 1989 – 1998 this was a side lever bolt action 10m match ssp.
    I am not sure when the MK2 version was introduced but I have seen MK2 serial numbers 4805,4875 and 5490. The Mk1 serial numbers I have seen are 1826, 2559B, 3277.
    I am guessing that the change took place between 3277 and 4805. Of course with these numbers you can guess that Diana used this sequence on other models in it’s range. Have no idea why the ‘B’ is included in the serial number on the rifle shown.

It’s often stated that the rifle is overly complicated and can suffer with problems with the cocking linkage. Yes it is complicated compared to say a Walther LG210 or a FWB 601 and I would say not a rifle for the mechanically un sympathetic.

The problem is with the cocking linkage in that it uses double cogs and a toothed ratchet and once it has been started on the cocking stroke, it must be completed. If you try and close it half way through the stroke, you will, if you use force strip the teeth off the cogs and that’s game over. Use it as intended and keep it greased and it works fine. The owners manual makes specific reference to this.

I have in my collection both examples and have compared them to see what difference there are.

1. Mk2 has a updated cocking handle that uses a catch much like a FWB 600 series. On the MK1 there is a blued sleeve over the stainless compression lever that must be pulled back about 6mm to release the lever. Now if you brace the butt in your groin area and hold the rifle in your left hand and operate the cocking lever with your right the sliding sleeve falls easily to hand and is a joy to use.
    A Mk2 action will fit a Mk1 stock, but not the other way round without modification.

4. The Mk2 has a shorter length barrel shroud making the overall length shorter by 38mm. The stocks and actions are the same size.
    5. The Mk2 weighs 5.1kg compared to the MK1 at 4.8kg for comparison I weighed my Arnie 2002 with walnut stock and that came in at 4.8kg
    6. The Mk2 uses a slightly modified cocking linkage albeit that it functions exactly the same.
    7. On both stocks the plastic cover on the base of the grips hides the strengthener that has been inserted.

The design of the loading bolt does mean that a scope or other sighting device can be added without recourse to unusual mounting blocks.

An unusual and delightful 10m ssp match rifle that can hold its own against the usual suspects from Walther,FWB, Anschutz and has a trigger that is better than the competition when properly adjusted. There was also a left handed stock option,but I have never seen a left handed action. A set of sight riser blocks was also offered as an accessory.

Stumbled back across this while adventuring through the internet, beautiful rifles you’ve got there Mark. The Right hander with the silver cylinder is particularly tasty!

Nice to see a match SSP with a bolt instead of some pop up breech/loading lever contraption
    Slightly obsessed with Single Stroke Pneumatics
    Also making stocks over at Daviesbuilt gunstocks.

Price of one Diana 100

Hello!

For a very sparingly used Diana 100 MK1, how much would you recommend that I pay? Kindly let me know please.
    Thanks a lot!

If it's all original with the factory fitted front and rear sights, is consistent over the chrono, then £620 - £670 Uk

In India, not a clue

Diana 100 ssp

The best of the 10m ssp target rifles in my opinion.
    I have the mk2 version.
    Having had or still have a no of 10m ssp target rifles including the fwb 603 the only one to come close,
    This is my favourite.
    The bolt action and fit of the stock makes it a well balanced target rifle still to this day.

d 100

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post

Great synopsis many thanks Mark, pictures are super useful,
    Best,

Clive

I don't think it's mentioned that the Mk1 has a blued sleeve over the stainless steel cylinder whereas the Mk2 doesn't. Is that right Mark?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.